Co. Clare Lougherys

Replies: 13

Re: Surname: Loughery, Loughrey, Loughry

Maurice Hanrahan (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2002 7:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hanrahan, O'Neill
Dianne

instead of a delay in faxing a letter, below is the letter transcribed.

Scalpnagoon, January 1855

Dear Ellen

I now take the favourable opportunity of writing those few lines to you hoping find you in good health as this leaves me and all the family in at present thanks be to God for his kind mercy to us all.

Dear Ellen, your mother wrote to you about the beginning of October last and stated in her letter the manner in which she had spent the three forgoing months but she got no answer. During which time she suffered much while we tried every remedy we could to relieve her pain. But alas it was death that eased her pain. Dear Ellen your dear and beloved mother departed this life on 9th of Dec. May God almighty have mercy on her soul.

Dear Ellen her death is a sore thing to us and we are very sorry it if we could it but we must have welcome for the will of God.
I would like to let you know that your sister Mary has a notion of going to Australia and Id like that you should be with her if you dont like your situation in America and if you were to come home ye could go for one pound each in the free emigration as your uncle Daniel & wife did and are doing mighty well. Michael Hanrahan, John Keehan of our native village, Conner Loughery of Ballinruan and many others of the neighbourhood have went out and are sending home lots of money - Micxhael Hanrahan 500 sent in the course of six months, in fact it is the best country for earning on the face of the earth and it would gratify me very much if you and your sister was there together.

Dear Ellen We would be living comfortable now had not the death of your mother taken place. I would like to let you know that she was buried in Tulla decently. Write to me as soon as possible. No more at present from your affectionate father.

Thomas O'Neill

Regarding your other infromation yes it does make sense (except that from the info I have, you missed a generation). To provide you with some background info, the majority of my information (including the above letter) came from a Reverand Michael Hanrahan (RIP), who was a brother to the Denis you mentioned (also a priest).

Rev Michael indicated that the Mary O'Neill mentioned in the letter married John Moloney and settled down in Tulla, and raised a family all of whom went to New Zealand except for Denis (his grandfather), b 16/9/1865 and d 4/6/1947 (both at Tulla). He married Mary Anne McGrath (b1860, d 1940) and had a daughter Delia (b 1897, d 1986) - Delia married Michael Hanrahan in 1923 in Brooklyn. - Her husband, Michael died in 1935 from a heart attack in Limerick (he left Ireland in 1912 and returned in 1934) -they had 8 children all born in Brookly except Denis. - Anne (a sister) married Tom Reidy and they live in Main Street Tulla.

In terms of where I fit in, The Michael Hanrahan in the above letter,is my gg grandfather. He stayed in Victoria, Australia and settled. I am of the view that he came from Scalpnagown. His brother, I believe, but yet to confirm 100% was Patrick Hanrahan, who was gg grandfather of Rev Michael.

Any further info from you would be most welcome. Rev Michael provided a shareware family history program, relating to his family (is quite extensive). I will endevour to provide you with a copy

kind regards

Maurice Hanrahan
Melbourne, Australia

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JCagney0607 24 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Maurice Hanrahan 26 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
JCagney0607 27 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Maurice Hanrahan 27 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
dianne_fitzgerald62 17 Mar 2002 5:24AM GMT 
Maurice Hanrahan 30 Mar 2002 2:20PM GMT 
Kelly_Eckersley 6 Jan 2010 9:46AM GMT 
MauriceJHanrahan 24 Apr 2011 6:31AM GMT