Search for content in message boards

Looking for Murnanes/Murnans @ 1800s-1840s

Replies: 1

Looking for Murnanes/Murnans @ 1800s-1840s

murnanemarycath (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2003 3:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murnane, Murnan (and misspellings)
The earliest reference I have to my great-great-grandfather Thomas Murnane is his marriage in 1841 to Elizabeth Waterbury in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. A few years later they were in Philadelphia, where the family stayed.

I haven't been able to get him back to Ireland, although all the census records I find for him say he was born there. I also haven't been able to find any direct relatives of his in Philadelphia, although there were other men around his age named Lawrence, Robert and Patrick. There was another group of older men (old enough to be his father) also named Thomas, Lawrence and Patrick. These men were all shoe and bootmakers.

I know he was Protestant. He was a printer. My research shows that Down had several Murnane/Murnans (or misspellings) in the time period I'm looking at in Ballyculter,Clonduff, Kilcoo, Kilkeel and a few spread out in other parishes. If I could tie Thomas to one of these families I'd be thrilled.

If any of you can help, or have suggestions on where else I could look, I'd really appreciate it.

Molly Murnane
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
murnanemarycath 29 Jun 2003 9:18PM GMT 
2011familytree1 17 Feb 2013 11:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions