Search for content in message boards

BIrthplace in Armagh of Hsbnd's kin

Replies: 23

BIrthplace in Armagh of Hsbnd's kin

Maureen TOner (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Toner
Have baptismal certificates from "Archdiocese of Armagh for 5 sons of Patrick and Ann Dowling Toner who were born 1811-1824 and baptized in "[aeish of Arnagh":John, Francis, Peter, Patrick and Joseph and also baptismal cert saying kids of Francis and Ann Hughes Toner were baptizedin "PArish of Armagh between 1855 and 1864 One child baptized in {Arish of TYnan

Everyone eventually went ot Omaha, Nebraska, USA except Peter TOner and possibly two other brothers -- Bernard and Owen ( or Orue) Toner to whom the younger John Toner referred to in a letter to hsi daughter. THe question from where in Armigh did they come. THe younger Patrick TOner, my husband's grandfather in Omaha married a girl whose parents came from Crossmaglen. and my fatherinlaw presumed his Dad's people came from that town as well. We just do not know how far the "Parish of Armagh extgended in 1911-1825. We speculated that the one child, Mary Ann TOner might have been baptized in Tynan on August 31, 1855 because perhps Ann Hughes Toner was visinting her family there when her child was born.

Incidentally my fatherilaw's mother was bornin St. Louis Missouri to Peter and Ellen Doran Hughes61. Peter's 2 brothers-- Bernard and Owen Hughes married Ellen's sisters, Mary and Brigid and all including a brother, Michael Doran eventually would up in Omaha.

We feel the best hope of learning anything is to find a death certificate for, burial record of, gravemarker for or better still, descendants of Peter TOner who was baptized on May 22, 1817 and never left Armagh. Could anyone he other theother fmily first names seem to come from different areas. around the cenetery or the local repository of records and locate something for us. We have been trying to get further for some years now.

Before going bac to gradschool after Christmas holidays my daughter Maureen came upon a listofToner landowners in 1870 and where I saw Bernard nd Owen Toner names -- these two were THOUGHT tohave come to America Francis and family along with Patrick Toner came to America in 1872, and to Nebraska eighteen years after John and Joseph Toner. One of Francis TOner's sons, John, was veledictorian of the first graduating class of Creighton University.

Plese help ifyou can with our search.

Incidentally there seems to be a strong inherited characteristic in the TOner familyof red hair -- my father inlaw and his sister, my husand and 4 siblings six of our eleven children and some of our grandchildren

Any descendants of Peter Toner, anyone who can find a trace of him, anyone who knows where else we might look, please write. -

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Maureen TOner 29 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
jeanrice 4 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
donald lynn terry 23 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
kevin terry 17 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
CHUCK TERRY 12 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Lilychersheppey 5 Jun 2007 11:35AM GMT 
kevinterry18 12 Jun 2007 9:33AM GMT 
Jim TONER 17 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
stephaniemaynard398 25 Aug 2001 9:28PM GMT 
jim toner 26 Aug 2001 8:03AM GMT 
per page