Search for content in message boards

History of Conn's Creek Baptist Church

Replies: 8

Re: History of Conn's Creek Baptist Church

Rebecca Bannister (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2006 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bannister, Fletcher, White, Baldwin, Roper, Adams, Hester, Lawson, Pruitt, Satterfield, Hogan, Scruggs, Brady, Jefferson, Hembree, Smith, Dooley, Early, Edens, Burdine, Pendley, Ridings, Pearson, Evans, Tanner, Williams, Foster, Jarvis, Powers, Duke
I'm not aware of a written history but would be very interested in it. My family has attended church (and school) there for several generations. I actually I went to church there this morning. I'm a member up the road at Mica Baptist Church but since churches in the area hold services on alternating Sundays, I was raised in both churches. I also have several family members buried there. The church grounds are amazing -- the school house is still standing and the Arbor is still used for the "dinner on the ground" meeting Sundays like May Meeting (Communion & Foot Washing) and Homecoming . Church services are held there every 2nd & 5th Sunday morning at 11:00 am and 4th Sunday nights at 7 pm.

The church was constituted in 1847 -- making it one of (if not the oldest) continuously active churches in Cherokee County. The Hightower Association minutes are a very good source on church histories in the area, as well as some information on their members. I was able to trace my 2nd Great-Grandfather's pastoral history through the minutes. They are on microfilm at the Canton Library. The Hightower Baptist Association at one time stretched from Stone Mountain almost to Dalton. The Association meets annually and publishes the minutes afterward. I'm not sure if Conns Creek is still a member of the Hightower Association or not. I know that Mica left about 10 years ago and is not affiliated with any convention or association right now.

Church clerks are wonderful sources of information. The "church books" are handed down through the years. I'm not sure who the clerk of Conns Creek is right now but I could easily find out if someone needed to contact them.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Pat Colbert 26 Apr 2006 6:52AM GMT 
Rebecca Bannister 1 May 2006 2:47AM GMT 
Pat Colbert 1 May 2006 4:03AM GMT 
Rebecca Bannister 3 May 2006 2:55AM GMT 
Pat Colbert 3 May 2006 11:18AM GMT 
cjlaird 21 Sep 2006 4:12AM GMT 
bolhal541 30 Jul 2007 6:03PM GMT 
prichards159 25 Jul 2009 11:49PM GMT 
pcolbert2 13 Aug 2009 12:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic