JEFFERSON FORT: Ballard Co, on the Mississippi River, about 5 miles below the mouth of the Ohio. Established by Gen. George Rogers Clark within the Chickasaw country in 1780; abandoned or excavated in the spring of 1781; no security to the western settlements.
JOHNSON’S STATION (Col. Robert Johnson). At the Great Buffalo Crossings on North Elkhorn, Scott Co, settled in winter of 1783-84.
KELLAR’S STATION: Jefferson Co, on Beargrass Creek; before 1780 likely.
KENTON’S STATION: 3 miles south of Limestone, now Maysville, 1 mile north of Washington in Mason Co. Settled by Simon Kenton, 1784.
KENTON’S STATION (John Kenton). ½ mile southeast of Washington, Mason Co.
KENTON’S STATION (Simon Kenton): Several blockhouses built by Simon Kenton who brought to them from PA his father’s family, and remained with them until July 1784.
KENNEDY’S STATION: Garrard Co, between Paint Lick Creek and Dick’s River.
KILGORE’S STATION: in 1782, north of Cumberland River, south side of Red River; attacked by Indians the same year and broken up. Likely in the southern part of Logan Co near the state line; possibly in TN.
KINCHELOE’S STATION: Spencer Co, Simpson’s Creek.
KNOB LICK: Lincoln Co, 5 miles south of Danville, settled 1776 by Isaac Shelby.
KUYKENDAHL’S STATION (Moses Kuykendahl). Jefferson Co, settled 1782, waters of Harrod’s Creek.
LEACH’S STATION: Bracken Co.
LEE’S STATION: Mason Co, between Maysville & Washington; settled by Gen. Henry Lee in 1785 and in 1874 was still the home of his descendants.
LEESTOWN: On east bank of the Kentucky River, 1 mile below Frankfort. Settled in 1776 by Hancock Lee, Cyrus McCracken (father of Capt. Virgil McCracken, after whom the county was named, and others who raised cabins there.
LEITCH’S STATION: About 6 miles above the mouth of Licking, on the east bank, in now Campbell Co. Settled 1780 by Maj. David Leitchfield after whom Leitchfield in Grayson Co is named.
LEWIS’ STATION: Re-settled by Geo. Lewis in 1789, formerly called GEO CLARK’S STATION – where Lewisburg now is located, Lewis County, 9 miles from Maysville.
LEXINGTON: On the Town Fork of Elkhorn, Fayette Co, settled by Col. Robert Patterson, Apr 1, 1779.
LIBERTY FORT: On Salt River, Mercer Co, ¾ mile below McAFEE’S STATION.
LICKING STATION: Harison Co, likely near LAIR’s or may be nearer to Cynthiana.
LICKING STATION: On the Licking River, 1 mile below the town of Salyersville in now Magoffin CO. Now known as Gardner’s Hill. Built about 1796 by Archibald Prather, Ebenezer Hanna and others from SC.
LIMESTONE: See MAYSVILLE.
LINN’S STATION: On Middle Fork of Beargrass, Jefferson Co, about 10 miles from Louisville, before 1780.
LITTELL’S STATION: Pendleton Co, on Fork Lick, a west branch of South Licking, in which it empties just below Callensville (Or Morgan’s) on Kentucky Central Railroad.
LITTELL’S STATION: Now the site of Williamstown, Grant Co, settled before 1792.
THE LITTLE FORT: Same as TWETTY’S, 1775.
LINDSAY’S STATION: Scott Co, near Lecompt’s Run.
LOCUST THICKET FORT: Madison Co, before 1780.
LOGAN’S FORT: Same as SAT ASAPH; 1 mile west of Stanford, Lincoln Co. Settled by Col. Benj. Logan, 1775.
LOUISVILLE: Falls of the Ohio, Jefferson Co. Laid off as a town by Capt. Thomas Bullitt, August 1773. The first settlement was on Corn Island in the spring of 1778. In the fall of that year, a blockhouse was built on the main shore and in 1782 a larger fort called Fort Nelson.
LOUDON’S STATION: 30 miles from mouth of Kentucky River, probably in Henry Co.
LYNCH’S STATION: Near Shelbyville, same as SQUIRE BOONE’S STATION.
LOWER BLUE LICKS: Nicholas Co, in sight of where the Maysville and Lexington turnpike crosses Licking River, discovered in 1773. See BLUE LICKS.
McFEE’S STATION (James McFee): On bank of Salt River, 6-7 miles below Harrodsburg, NW from it. First cabin was built in 1774 and more settlers came in 1775.
McAFEE’S STATION: Mercer Co, 6-7 miles from Harrodsburg, on Salt River, about ¼ mile above Providence Church. Settled by the McAfee brothers, 1779.
McAFEE’S STATION (William McAfee). On Shawnee Run, about 1 mile west from Harrodsburg, mouth of the Town Branch.
MANCHESTER or MASSIE’S STATION: 12 miles above Maysville on the north bank of Ohio River.
MANN’S LICK: A salt station built before 1786, south side of and close to Salt River, Bullitt Co, a few miles from Shepherdsville.
MARBLE CREEK STATION: 7 miles from Boonesborough.
MARTIN’S STATION: Established by John Martin (who built a cabin in 1775), 5 miles from RUDDLE’S STATION, on Stoner, about 3 miles below Paris in Bourbon Co, settled 1779.
MASTERSTON’S STATION (James Masterson). 5 miles NW of Lexington. The 1st Methodist Episcopal Church building in KY was erected here – a plain log structure, in 170 or earlier and was still standing in 1871.
MAULDING’S STATION: Established 1780, Red River in Logan Co.
MAY’S LICK SETTLEMENT: At Mayslick, Mason Co, east of Washington.
MAYSVILLE: On the Ohio River, at the mouth of Limestone Creek, Mason Co. Settled 1784; blockhouse built by Edward Waller, John Waller & George Lewis of Virginia.
McCLELLAND’S FORT OR STATION: Where Georgetown now stands, Scott County. Settled 1776 by John, Alex and Wm. McClelland and their families & other families from HINCKSTON’S STATION and DRENNON’S LICK.
McCONNELL’S STATION: Settled by Wm. McConnell in 1783 or earlier at the royal spring near now Lexington. Was not so fortified as to be regarded as a regular station and was soon merged with Lexington.
McCORMICK’S STATION: On top of the first ridge north or NW of Knobb Lick Fork of Hanging Fork of Dick’s River.
McFADDEN’S STATION: 4 miles above Bowling Green on Big Barren River, Warren Co; settled by Andrew McFadden in 1785.
McGARY’S STATION (Major Hugh McGary). Mercer Co, at the head spring on Shawnee Run, 5 miles NW from Harrodsburg.
McGEE’S STATION. Also known as Cooper’s Run. In SE part of Fayette Co, on or near Tate’s Creek on the road from Lexington to Richmond. Sometimes known as “OLD STATION”, settled before 1780.
McGUIRE’S STATION: Same as McGEE’s; called this sometimes because James McGuire was prominent there in 1780.
McKINLEY’S BLOCK HOUSE: Where the old buffalo trace south of Washington, Mason Co, where David Hunter lived in 1873; built by Jas. McKinley in 1785.
McKINNEY’S STATION: Settled by Archibald McKinney before 1792; in Lincoln Co, on McKinney’s Branch of Hanging Fork. About 2 miles from Green River, 9 miles SW from Stanford & about 4 miles NE of Hustonville.
McMILLIN’S FORT: Barboun or Harrison Co, settled 1779.
MEAUX’S STATION: Probably in Boyle or Mercer Co, 1789.
MEEK’S STATION: On waters of Drennon’s Lick, 20 miles from the Ohio River at the mouth of 18 Miles Creek.
MEFFORD’S STATION (George Mefford). 2 ½ miles South of Maysville, Mason Co., 1787.
MIDDLE STATION: Jefferson Co, before 1787 possible, location uncertain.
MILLER’S STATION: Settled in 1784 by John Miller; about 1 mile from Hinkston Creek towards Blue Licks and one mile NE of Millersburg.
MILL’S STATION: Supposed to be in Greenup or Lewis Co. Wm. Thompson, of White Oak, Greenup Co, who died 7 May 1868, aged 77, settled there in 1790 with his father.
MONTGOMERY’S STATION: Lincoln Co on the headwaters of Green River. 12 miles SW from Logan’s Fort, 2 ½ miles from
PETTIT’S STATION; settled by Wm. Montgomery (father-in-law of Gen. Logan) and sons, 1780.
MORGAN’S STATION: On Slate Creek, 7 miles east of Mt. Sterling, in now Bath Co, settled before 1793.
MUD GARRISON: WHERE Shepherdsville now stands, Bullitt Co, midway between Bullitt’s Lick and the Falls of Salt River, settled on or before 1778.
MUDDY RIVER LICKS: North of Russellville in Logan and Butler Co; between 1780-1784.
To be continued.
(c) Copyright 27 Jan 2011, Sandra K. Gorin