Lexington Fort: Contained in the George Rogers Clark manuscripts which are found in the Virginia Archives, Richmond, VA, dated March and April 1781 is found an account given by one Colonel John TODD which lists the names of the four most pushing men as he refers to them, and the laborers working under them. They are found to be: John MORRISON, David MITCHELL, Levi TODD, William HAYDON, Benjamin HAYDON, James McGINTY, John TODD, William NIBLACK, Benjamin BRIGGS, John WILLIAMS, Samuel McMILLEN, Charles SEAMAN, Caleb MASTERSON, John CLARK, John NUT (NITT), Joseph TURNER, Robert PATTERSON, David VANCE, Francis McDURMID Sr, John TORRENCE, Henry McDONALD, Robert STANHOPE, Archibald DICKINSON, Stephen COLLINS, John WYMER (WYMORE), Nicholas BRABSTON, James HAYDON, John STEVENSON, James MASTERSON, James WASON, Patrick OWENS, Francis PATTERSON, Horse HIGHERE, Wm. HAYDON, Wm. ROBERTSON, John WYMERR, Jas. WASON, Wm. McCONNELL, Peter JANUARY, Wm. McCONNELL, Michael WARNOCK, Francis McDONALD, John NAPIER, Ratcliff BOONE, James BOONE, James MORROW, John FITZGERALD, William SHANNON, John CASEY, James WELCH, James HAYDEN [sic], Francis HARPER, Josiah COLLINS, James McCONNELL, Samuel JANUARY, Wm. MARTIN, Samuel MARTIN, William MARTIN, John MARTIN, John McDONALD, Hugh McDONALD, James McDONALD, Daniel McCLAIN, Levi TODD, Alexander McCLAIN, John CLARK, Hugh MARTIN, Caleb MASTERSON, Hugh THOMPSON, WM. McDURMID and son, Robert STANHOPE, John TODD, Wm. McCONNELL, Peter JANUARY, Samuel JANUARY and a McBRIDE.
These came CLARK papers were published by the Illinois Historical Society Collection and some of the above names do not appear.
The fort was established by Colonel Robert PATTERSON on 17 April 1779, as shown by Dr. John SHANEÂ’s interview with Josiah COLLINS included: Josiah COLLINS, Col. PATTESON, Francis McCONNELL, Saml. JOHNSON, Wm. DAVIS, George GRAY, David MITCHELL, Wm MITCHELL, John MORRISON, Wm. McCRACKEN, Saml. MAYS, Jas McILVANE, John STORY, Jas WASSON, Jacob LIGHT, Elisha BETHY, Roswell STEVENS, Nicholas BRADSTONE, Jas. McBRIDE, Elisha COLLINS, Wm HAYDEN, Benj. HAYDEN, David VANCE, Jas. JANUARY Â– all of whom came from Harrodsburg. (History of Pioneer Lexington by STAPLES).
Dr. Willard Rouse JILLSON in Â“History Quarterly of the Filson Club, Vol 3, added the following names: Mathew BARKLEY and wife, Martha (FORKER) BARKLEY; John McKINNEY, Jas FORBES, John NEBLACK, Andrew STEELE, Joseph MITCHELL, Wm. STEVENSON, Samuel, John and James McDOWELL, John McCRACKEN.
Ruddells Fort was also known as HINKSTONÂ’S and Licking Fort. It was built in 1779 by Isaac RUDDELL near the Bourbon Co Line, now in Harrison Co., about seven miles from Paris, KY. Most of the following resided at the Fort in 17830 at the time it was taken by the British and Indian warriors under Captain BIRD. These are shown in Draper mss and depositions in various suits. Saml BROOKS, John BIRD, John BURGER, Francis BERRY, Frank BERRY, Mrs. Nelly (SHARP) BERRY and children, Mrs. CARROLL, Michael CONWAY, Mrs John CONWAY and seven children, Samuel CONWAY, Mrs. Samuel CONWAY, Sally CONWAY, two other CONWAY girls, Joseph CONWAY, Casper CASNER (KARSNER), Benj. COOPER, Thomas CLARK, Mrs. CARROLL, Thomas DAVIS and wife Sarah (RUDDLE) DAVIS, John DUNCAN, wife and son, John DENTON and wife and Miss DENTON, Henry GROFF, Michael, Peter and John GOODNIGHT and Misses GOODNIGHT, Joseph HOUSTON an dhis company from PA stopped here, Capt. John HINKSTON, Mrs. HONN, Catherine HONN, Co. Benjamin HARRISON, John HAGGIN, Nicholas HART, Robt. Or Charles KNOX, John LONG and his wife Rhoda and other children, Mrs. LAPORT, son and Judy LAPORT, Mr. and Mrs. George LAIL and children, William MARSHALL, Wm. McCUNE (half bro of Jno. HINKSON), Jacob MARKLE, Patrick MAHAN and wife whose daughter married a WILSON and lived later in Woodford Co, and daughter Jane who married Jas. BRECKINRIDGE; daughter Agnes who married Jas. MORROW, John MAHAN, Thomas MAHAN, Wm. MAHAN, Margaret MAHAN, Jane MAHAN, James MAHAN, Jas NESBITT, Mr. PURSELEY, Capt Isaac RUDDELL (RUDDLE) and wife Elizabeth, and their small child, Abraham RUDDELL, James RUDDELL and probably others of this family, Lt. RAVENSCRAFT, Mr. and Mrs SELLERS and children, William STEELE, Hugh SHANNON, Mr. and Mrs. Christian SPEARS and fiance Anne Maria of Mat, Detroit, Martin TOLLELMIRE, his wife and six children, Samuel VANHOOK, Wm. WHITSETT, Wm. WHITESIDES,. A note was added that Abraham and Stephen RUDDELL were reared by Tecumseh and married Indian girls. Stephen married 2nd to Susan DAVID and he became a missionary to the Indians.
Captain RUDDLEÂ’s Company in the period of 1779-1780 were located at Ruddles and MARTINÂ’s Stations which was located between Paris and Cynthiana, KY. These included: Capt. Isaac RUDDLE, Lt. John HAGGIN, Ensign John MATHER, Quarter Master Joseph ISAACS, Sgt. John WATERS, Drummer John CLOYD, Andrew and George BAKER, Andrew BARTLE, Joh BIRD, George BRONKER, Casper BROWN, Reuben BUGHNER, John BURGER Sr, and Jr., Peter CALL, Leonar CROFT, Wm. DEHLINGER, David EDERMAN, Thos. EMORY, Paul FISHER, George HATFALL, John HUTTON, Jacob LEACH Sr, Edward LOW, George, Henry and Peter LAIL, Thomas MACHEN, Wm. MARSHALL, Chas., Wm Sr and Jr MUNGER, Andrew PIRTENBUSTLE, Henry PIRTENBUSTLE, H. PIRTENBUSTLE Jr, Len PIRTENBUSTLE, Peter ROUGH, George, Stephen and James RUDDLE, Patrick RYAN, Wm. SANDIDGE, Wm. SCOTT, John SMITH Jr and Sr, James STUART, Frederick TANNER, Martin TUFFLEMAN, Moses WATERS. (Collins History, Volume 1).
This series will conclude next week with LOGANÂ’S (St. Asaph) and BOWMANÂ’s Stations.
Please do not copy or cross-post this without prior approval.
(c) Copyright 18 November 1999, Sandra K. Gorin, All Rights Reserved, firstname.lastname@example.org