Search for content in message boards

TIP# 129 - FORTS & SETTLEMENTS CONTINUED

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

TIP# 129 - FORTS & SETTLEMENTS CONTINUED

Sandi Gorin (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 1998 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 9:32AM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Byrd, Garrard, O'Malley, Mauldin, Clark, Coffman, Mondrel, Langford, Daviess, Dyche, Pottinger, Willett, Harrod, Masterson, Cartwright, Smith, Rogers, Dickerson, Fairfax, Cox, Henry, Hinkston, McClelland, Kenton, Williams, Martin, Byrd, Ruddell, Boone, Lynch, Strode, Donnalson, Donaldson, Sparh, Bedford, Jillson
TIP# 129 – FORTS AND SETTLEMENTS CONTINUED:

MARTINÂ’S STATION:

Begun by John Martin, early pioneer who also spent time at Fort Boonesborough. He established this station on Stoner Creek in Bourbon County in the spring of 1779. This station was located on what was known as the Alantowamiowee Trail which was an early and much-used trail. There were many settlers located here, many of which were Pennsylvania Germans. The station was captured in the spring of 1780 by Capt. Henry Byrd and his British soldiers. Although supposedly stockaded, the fort was forced to surrender. The occupants were taken to Detroit where many of them remained until the end of the war. James Garrard Jr built a home and had a cemetery near this location. [See Nancy OÂ’Malley referred to in last post).

MAULDINGÂ’S STATION:
Founded by James Maulding and his family on their first settlement attempt in the fall of 1780 and located on the Red River, southeast of what is now Adairville, KY – now in TN. This was also known as the RED RIVER OLD STATION and was abandoned in 1782. The family came back in 1783 or 1784 at a different location along the river in what is now Logan Co. KY. George Rogers Clark supposedly visited here. Maulding died in 1796 or 1797 -–left by wife Caty and four sons (mature) – Ambrose, Richard, Morton and Wesley. All but Wesley left the county by 1812; Wesley remained and became the sheriff and a magistrate. (See Edward Coffman, The Story of Logan County, Russellville, KY, 1962.)

MONDRELÂ’S STATION:
There were stations founded to protect the emigrants to Kentucky from the attacks of the Cherokee warring parties. This included Mondrel’s Station, Langford’s station and Daviesses’s Stations. Their primary purpose was to be a defense post along the Wilderness Road, authorized by the State of Virginia 27 November 1790. This station was located to the south of Crab Orchard and north of the Cumberland Gap. This was near the crossing of the Laurel River in Laurel County, KY. It only existed for a short time – possibly a year or so, until the Indian threat was abated. It was named for Robert Mondrel later represented Pulaski County in the KY House. (See Russell Dyche, Laurel County, KY, London, KY, 1954).

POTTENGERÂ’S STATION:
Named for Capt. Samuel Pottenger, a settler from Prince George County, MD, who established this station in 1781, approximately ½ mile north of the present time Gethsemani in Nelson County. He was born 29 Apr 1754, son of Robert and Elizabeth (Willett) Pottenger), was a Revolutionary War soldier in MD in 1777; traveled with James Harrod in 1778 and William Harrod in 1780. Among the settlers here were: Samuel’s brothers and sisters – Elizabth, Jemima, Susanna, William, Robert, John, Dennis, Anne and Eunice Pottenger; his uncle, Samuel Pottenger with wife and children. The Masterson family came later which included Charles, John, John Jr, Thomas, William, William Jr, Hugh, Hugh Jr, Jerry and Zachariah plus their wives and children. By 1782-83’s winter, there were 37 people from the Samuel Cartwright Station. These were discovered by Pottenger along with George Rogers Clark, starving. Pottenger built a house in 1788 about 2 miles east of the station, he died 20 January 1831 and is buried in the Cox Creek Baptist Cemetery. (See Sarah B. Smith, Historic Nelson County, Its Towns and People, Bardstown, KY, 1983).

ROGERÂ’S STATION:
This was not listed in my source materials, but was provided by one of our subscribers: " Rogers Station was west of Bardstown, Ky established @ 1780 by James Rogers and his brothers, Matthew, Jonanthan, & Evan. A road side marker was placed by Rogers descendants in 1965, on Rt 62 about 5 miles west of Bardstown. A part of the fort was still standing in 1952. My Grandmother Addie Rogers Dickerson died in 1952. She would have complained about it being destroyed. so apparently soon after a farmer tore such down (as it was probably falling down.) Unfortunately, no one told him what he was destroying until after it fell. My father played in the building as a child. (it was used for storage) He said they would pull the siding off and find logs with port holes etc. James Rogers was born in 1742 , where ??. In 1749 his father, Matthew Rogers was given a grant of land from Thomas Lord Fairfax on Patterson Creek now Hampshire Co WV. James served in the American Rev. by fighting the Indians and received 1000 acres of land in present day Nelson Co. Ky for this. He was present at the council of war, Catfish Camp in 1777, held by Patrick Henry. (now Washington Co. PA) James and Issac Cox were friends and can be found in the same area in the old records of SW PA etc. They were appointed Justices of the Peace and Oyer and Terminer ( a commission authorizing a judge to hear and determine criminal cases) for Yohagania Co. VA (This county lasted only for 10 years) Both went to Nelson Co. VA (KY) about the same time, 1779. James Rogers can be found in the old court records of Jefferson Co. VA to 1784 (KY) and Nelson Co. VA (KY) beginning in 1785. Isaac Cox also..Unfortunately Isaac Cox was killed by Indians about 1788. Isaac Cox settled in the area of Cox's creek, north of Bardstown, KY. The bible of James Rogers is still in existance. The contents were listed in one of the issues of Ky Historical Soc. I believe.” From Maryshoe.

RUDDELLÂ’S (HINKSTONÂ’S) STATION:
John Hinkston and other unnamed settlers erected 15 cabins on a flat ridge above the South Fork of the Licking River on an old game trail which led from McClellandÂ’s Station in Scott County to the Lower Blue Licks. With the help of Simon Kenton and Thomas Williams, a blockhouse was erected in the winter of 1776-77. Idaas Ruddel then fortified the station in 1778 due to the Indian threat. A large group of Pennsylvania Germans lived here along with MartinÂ’s Station which was only a few miles away. Twenty or so inhabitants of RuddellÂ’s Station were killed by Capt Henry Byrd in 1780. They were buried in a mass grave and covered with stones. (See Destruction of RuddellÂ’s and MartinÂ’s Forts in the Revolutionary War, Frankfort, KY, 1957).

SQUIRE BOONEÂ’S STATION:
Squire Boone was the younger brother of Daniel Boone, left Boonesborough in 1799 and settled in what is now Shelby County. He founded a station here which is also known as the Painted Stone Station. It was located near Shelbyville and for almost two years was the only station to be found between Harrodsburg and the Falls of the Ohio. It was abandoned in 1781 due to Indian threats, but more occupants came in during Christmas of the same year. Squire sold out his interest in the station when elected to the Virginia Legislature to Colonel Lynch and was then known as LynchÂ’s Station.

STRODEÂ’S STATION:
This station was located two miles east of Winchester in now Clark County. It was built by John Strode in 1779 – he a gunsmith from Berkeley Co VA who had come to KY in 1776. He had received a pre-emption certificate from the Virginia Land Commission. He came here with several other unnamed settlers and built the station and stockaded it. There were about 30 families here near to Strode’s Creek. Indian skirmishes occurred here while Strode was away from the fort for 3-4 years with the major one occurring in March of 1781. Patrick Donnalson (Donaldson) and Jacob Sparh died during that siege. (See A. Goff Bedford, Land of Our Fathers: History of Clark County, Kentucky, Mt. Sterling, KY, 1958.).

This concludes more detailed information on some of the forts and stations that I listed early in these research tips. In conclusion, IÂ’d like to describe in more detail what this stations looked like. Much of this information came from Nancy OÂ’MallyÂ’s, Stockading Up, Department of Anthorpology, Archaelogical Report 127, University of Kentucky, 1987 and Willard Rouse JillsonÂ’s Pioneer Kentucky, publishished Frankfort, KY 1934.

The physical layout of each station varied according to need. When settlers began coming to Kentucky to survey the land in the early 1770Â’s, some were merely speculators. But, to enter land here, Virginia law required that a land tract be surveyed, improved by building some sort of structure on it. There were thousands of such land tracts scattered throughout Kentucky. Stations sprung up, possibly as many as 150 existed in an area encompassing 12 counties. Many of these were clustered in Louisville, western Christian, Todd and Logan counties, along the Ohio River and in the eastern mountains.

A station was slightly different from a fort. Stations were smaller and were meant to be private residences rather than for the public. Each station had a specific man who normally owned the land and housed not only his family, but many time other families, normally blood-kin. Some stations were stockaded for defense against the Indians and other families and individuals did come here for safety. They were located along trails that were in use by the immigrants to Kentucky.

A station was considered also a temporary stop-over. They were not as well constructed and it has been said that cabins built there were “green cabins” – bark left on which caused warping. Many were not even chinked well with dabs of mud filling the cracks. Stick and mud daubs composed the chimneys because the pioneer didn’t plan on living there for more than a year or so. When the Indian threats subsided, most of these stations were deserted. This will also explain why more of our counties have no recorded stations. By the time many of our counties formed, the Indian threats were abating and there was no need for the station.

© Copyright 5 March 1998, Sandra K. Gorin, All rights reserved. sgorin@glasgow-ky.com

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions