Search for content in message boards

Cissell -- re: Patricia Reeser's post

Replies: 2

Cissell -- re: Patricia Reeser's post

Melissa Young (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2006 7:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking at the reference to "Austin" Cissell in the O'Rourke book, and would like to offer some clarification about Augustine Cissell. He was born in Leonardtown 9 Nov, 1777. His parents were John Baptiste Cissell and Rebecca Unknown. He married Harriett Rhodes 22 Dec 1816, and died in Washington County, KY in Dec 1820. His son was Augustine C. Cissell.
There is a different man named Ethelbert Cissell, born 30 Jul 1763, St. Andrew's Parish, SMC, MD. A transcription error in his baptismal record lists his name as "Delbert" Cissell. His parents were John Cissell and Henrietta Unknown, probably Henrietta Knott. He married Elizabeth Maria Mattingly, daughter of Thomas Mattingly and Elizabeth Miles. They had one daughter, Elizabeth Maria Cecil, born 1793 at Scotland, SMC, MD, who married George H.(Henry) Morgan. Ethelbert was appointed Justice of the Peace in SMC, witnessed many wills, can be found in the SMC census in 1800, 1810, and 1820, and died in SMC on 21 Jan 1826. He lived his whole life in St. Mary's County. He is buried at St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church in SMC, MD. I am a direct descendant of this man. I have much documentation on his life, should anyone care to have it.
These two men are consistently confused. I understand Sr. Donnelly "merged" them in her work, though I have not personally seen her book. The two men are almost always snarled together in Internet genealogies. Even our own stmarysfamilies.com website has them confused in the "Migrations to Kentucky" section. I fervently hope there is someone reading this who has the ability to correct the SMC website.
Ethelbert Cissell and Austin Cissell are on the same list in the O'Rourke book. Assuming my dates on Augustine Ethelbert Cissell (the KY settler) are correct, and he was born in 1777, he would have been about 17 years old when he was a pilot in the SMC militia. I am not familiar enough with military history to know if this is even possible. I hope someone familiar with the office of pilot will weigh in.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Melissa Young 1 Jun 2006 1:47PM GMT 
Brenda 29 Jul 2006 2:44PM GMT 
JanetBradley40 4 Nov 2012 10:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions