Search for content in message boards

James Kelly and William Kelley of Greenspring Valley, Baltimore County, Maryland, 1700's

Replies: 6

James Kelly and William Kelley of Greenspring Valley, Baltimore County, Maryland, 1700's

theseekerusa (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2008 1:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kelley, Kelly, Kellie, Gorsuch, Logsdon, Fryfogle, Mallonee, Tracey, Mays, Peregoy, Corbin, Merryman, Lane
I have done extensive research on the two Kelley/Kelly lines of James Kelly and William Kelley (who was born in 1715 and married Elizabeth Gorsuch, Eleanor Corbin,and Mary Miller) of the Greenspring Valley area of Baltimore County, Maryland. They were both in the area by at least the early 1730's. They have never been tied together that I can find, but I have had the supposition for awhile that these two Kelly's were related, primarily because of their close intermarriages with the early Gorsuch famiy, the same other surnames consistently found in their lineage, same tract of land names, and a witnessing of James Kelly's will by Nicholas Kelley who was the son of William.

Also, I am directly descended from James Kelly and the spelling of our last name as far back as I have ever seen on gravestones and other family documents is "Kelley".

The descendants of James and William Kelley can be found in Baltimore, Frederick, Carroll, and Harford Counties in Maryland (and possibly others). Their descendants have been found in: Huntingdon County PA, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa and others.

The most common surnames found have been: Gorsuch, Logsdon, Fryfogle, Mallonee, Tracey, Mays, Peregoy, Corbin, Merryman, Lane.

I am directly descended as follows:

James Kelly m. Prudence Logsdon (dau of William)
Thomas Deye Kelley m. Charity Gorsch (dau of Lovelace)
Thomas Kelley m. Catherine Fryfogle
John Gorsuch Kelley m. Mary Jane Mallonee
John Thomas Kelley m. Mary Jeffrey
Arnet Leo Kelley m. Sophie Jeanette Mays

My recent Kelley family lived at the intersection of Greenspring Avenue and Kelley Avenue off Broadway Road in Baltimore County. The land owned in that area by the Kelley family can be traced back to our first known ancestor, James Kelley who married Prudence Logsdon.

If any of this sounds familiar, please email me. My grandmother, Sophie Jeanette Mays Kelley provided me with a fair amount of info back to John Gorsuch Kelley, but I have reached some absolute dead ends.

Thanks!!

Kathy Kelley
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
theseekerusa 15 Jul 2008 7:27PM GMT 
tbbranch 9 Sep 2008 8:08AM GMT 
theseekerusa 9 Sep 2008 1:04PM GMT 
MarilynRoth58 10 Sep 2008 1:32AM GMT 
theseekerusa 10 Sep 2008 12:36PM GMT 
MarilynRoth58 10 Sep 2008 5:34PM GMT 
Joyce Kelley 12 Sep 2008 10:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic