Search for content in message boards

Indiana CRAWFORDS 1800's - William and sons David, John

Replies: 21

Re: Indiana CRAWFORDS 1800's - William and sons David, John

grannykropp (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2007 11:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Donna,

Your information does help me a lot. It gives me good overall background, and hopefully I find some direction. I do think my Snows were in early KY, and then moved into Ohio before ending up in Indiana. My ancestor, David Snow, one of Samuel and Sarah's sons, gave his birth place as Clark County, Indiana, in 1824, in his Civil War pension record. That's how I found the families.

One reason I asked the question is that there are only two Snow families in the 1810 census that have a male Samuel's age. One is William Snow in Warren County, and there are two Hay families living within a household. Lincoln County covered so much area, and it's hard to know what part they lived in when the families are there around 1800. I know the Passwater name is in my files somewhere, but I don't know where, and most of the other names are familiar.

I was happy to get the information on where Jeremiah lived. Here is some information I received in the 80's when I was really working on the lines. Jeremiah's wife is a granddaughter of Sarah Snow Taff Payne Montgomery.

"Snow Family: Information on John Payne

Source: Mrs. W. H. Nutter, 1003 North Morgan Street, Rushville, Indiana

JOHN PAYNE.

Newspaper, Nov. 13, 1844:
John Payne; Sarah Payne, Administratrix.
Land N1/2 NW 16-2-9

John Payne died 1841
Ida Belle Bayless, James Mounts, Agnes M. Mounts deeded this land to James in 1880.

Jefferson County, Indiana records:
John Payne married Sarah Snow Taff, December 27, 1821. He came from Woodford Co. Kentucky.

Early Wills of Jefferson County, Indiana, Probate Book H, 312.
Will of Wm Montgomery, written May 27, 1848; recorded April 10, 1849.
Wife, Sarah, formerly wife of John Payne;
Decd. Had children, so heirs by 1st wife, Mary and heirs of Sarah to share alike.
Witnesses R. E. Stratton, W. W. Woolen.

Probate Book I, heirs of Wm. Montgomery and Sarah Montgomery, formerly late Sarah Payne.
John Montgomery, John Calbert & wife, Nancy; Samuel Calbert & wife Eliza; Joseph Calbert & wife, Sarah; Andrew M. Payne; John P. Payne; Sally Jane Payne; Jeremiah Crawford & wife, Betsy Ann; Jacob J. Payne & Milton Payne.

Mortality Schedule, 1870:
Saluda Twp. Sarah Montgomery, age 77, widow, born Kentucky, died in March.

James Taff, son of James and Sarah Snow Taff, was born February 14, 1816 at the mouth of Laughry Creek as the family were coming down the Ohio.

George Snow died before 1830 in Clark Co, Indiana..had land grant for service under George Rogers Clark.

John Payne was born in 1772 in Baltimore, Maryland. (A handwritten note on the original typed page has “Snow Hill, Somerset Co.) He was a shoemaker by trade. He married Sarah Snow Taff at Madison Indiana, December 27, 1821. To this union was born seven children, one of whom was named Andrew. He was born in Saluda township, Jefferson County, near Paynesville (but we can’t pin-point the farm on which he was born). Birthdate was October 26, 1822. He died at his home in Paynesville,
September 15, 1915.

He was married to Electa Ann Carley, January 23, 1844. He was a veterinary, farmer and merchant near Paynesville where he spent his entire life. The town was named for him. His store stood just east of the present grocery, also his last home remains standing.

He was the father of six children, one of which was Emma, Paul’s mother.

He was a devoted member of the Tryus Universalist Church and a pioneer of Jefferson County.

Your great grandfather, Marty’s grandfather, James Taff was a son of Sarah Snow Taff by her first marriage.

We were always told that James Taff was born under a tree in the state of Ohio as the family was moving to Indiana.

Therefore, James Taff and Andrew Miller Payne were half brothers, having the same mother.

Written by Mrs. Paul Rankin"

I think these families moved back and forth across the boarder, so the research is time consuming. I need a few days in the area, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to take the time.

Marily

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DonnaLHay 6 Aug 2004 3:30AM GMT 
grannykropp 12 May 2007 1:42PM GMT 
DonnaLHay 12 May 2007 4:13PM GMT 
grannykropp 26 May 2007 4:38PM GMT 
grannykropp 26 May 2007 4:41PM GMT 
DonnaLHay 26 May 2007 6:32PM GMT 
grannykropp 27 May 2007 6:53AM GMT 
DonnaLHay 27 May 2007 3:16PM GMT 
grannykropp 28 May 2007 5:05PM GMT 
DonnaLHay 28 May 2007 7:25PM GMT