Search for content in message boards

Isaac J. Kerstetter 1838-1896

Replies: 0

Isaac J. Kerstetter 1838-1896

Joyful (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2008 5:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kerstetter, Cashteter, Grundy, Reedy, Castetter, Seltren, Kersteter, Green, Noll
I was doing some research today and found a "new to me" bit of information that seems to indicate that Isaac J Kerstetter was the son of John George Kerstetter (son of Tobias) and not the son of Michael and Margaret as some believe.

At first glance the census info seems to indicate that Isaac was the son of Michael and Margaret of Union County, PA (1850), but there are four Isaacs on the 1850 census that are age 11 to 13. The Isaac in Perry Township, Union County PA is clearly the son of Solomon and Barbara Kerstetter as both the 1850 & 1860 Census records show. The Isaac Kerstetter of Coal Township, Northumberland Co, PA is the son of Michael and Elizabeth Kerstetter (spelled Cashteter on the 1860 census). There is an Isaac Castetor (age 11) in 1850 listed in the household of Michael and Margaret Castetor in Union Township, Union County, PA with apparently a twin sister Elizabeth who is also 11. This family virtually disappears in 1860, the parents apparently passing away and the daughters marrying. The only daughter I can find is Barbara (age 7 on 1850, age 18 in 1860 listed with the Jacob and Rachel Grundy family as a servant in East Buffalo, Union, PA).

The fourth Isaac was a little harder to find in 1850. He is listed in Buffalo, Union Co, PA in the home of Jacob (age 80)& Catharin (age 78) Reedy as Isac Castetter age 12. There is also female Catherin Seltren(?) age 36. I'd like to suggest that this may actually be Isaac J Kerstetter, born 1838, died 1896.

In 1860 Isaac appears on the Lewisburg, Union County, PA census in the home of George (age 50) and Sarah Kersteter (age 32). He is 22 and a cabinet maker. (The 1870 and 1880 census records show Isaac with wife Juliett and he is a cabinet maker). There are also 3 children: Margaret Kersteter age 5, Johnson Kersteter age 4, and Minerva Kersteter, age 1. Also in this household is Sarah J Green, age 34 who appears to be quite well to do with $8000 worth of personal property. Obviously Sarah is not Isaac's mother, but likely is the mother of the younger children.

Isaac J Kerstetter served in Company E, 142nd Regiment (PA) during the Civil War. He received a pension and his widow, Juliet received a widows pension after his death.

Today I found an obituary for Isaac J Kersteter at www.accesspadigital.org
(click on State Library of Pennsylvania Collections, then click on Pennsylvania Genealogy Collection. Type in Kersteter (with a single t, not tt). Isaac's obituary is in "Pennsylvania Scrap Book Necrology, Volume 16" on pages 48-49.

The obituary states he was in Company E, 142nd Regiment of the Pennsylvania Volunteers. It also states:
"was born in East Buffalo Twp., March 18th, 1838. His mother died when he was quite young, and he was cared for by his uncle, Jacob Noll."

John George Kerstetter (aka the George mentioned above where Isaac resided on the 1860 census) had a sister Sarah who married Jacob Noll, which would mean that Jacob was the uncle of John George's children. There is also a large age gap in John George's children, and the fact that his wife Sarah is only 10 years older than Isaac (on the 1860 census) which would point to Sarah being a second wife.

This leads me to believe that Isaac J Kerstetter, born March 18, 1838, died February 1896 has been mixed up with another Isaac and mistakenly connected to Michael and Margaret Kerstetter, when he should actually be connected to John "George" Kerstetter, son of Tobias. His mother is unknown.

Joy Kersteter

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions