Search for content in message boards

Susan Mary Ligon (wife of Henry Washington Brown)

Replies: 4

Re: Susan Mary Ligon (wife of Henry Washington Brown)

tunnelm1 (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2008 12:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
The Henry Brown who married Susan Ligon may very well have been out of the same overall Brown family as Francis Brown "I" (died 1691/1692) of Essex Co., VA. It appears that a later "mystery" Francis Brown (born about 1700 and married a Christiana Unknown) was almost certainly related in some way to the above Francis Brown "I," and this "mystery" Francis Brown had a son named Hezekiah Brown (married Sally Unknown) who left Essex and who moved to Amelia Co., VA in the 1750s. Per input from other researchers, there were members of the Ligon family who were also in Amelia Co., VA (and see some of those records below).

In addition to the above, a Henry Brown, who is a known direct descendant of Francis Brown "I," also left Essex Co., VA, but he moved to Lunenburg/Mecklenburg Co., VA in the early-1760s. There was a Richard Ligon who also moved to Lunenburg/Mecklenburg, and after Richard Ligon died, his wife, Ann (Hixe/Hix) Ligon remarried to a Samuel Bugg in Lunenburg in 1757. This MAY very well have been the same Richard Ligon who was on the 1746 Goochland Co., VA tithe list (as was a Simon Ligon.....Simon Ligon's next-door neighbor in 1746 was a John Hixe/Hix). Two sons of the above Henry Brown in Lunenburg/Mecklenburg named Mordecai Brown and Aris Brown eventually moved to Spartanburg Co., SC, so the Henry Brown who was there by the early-1800s (and who married Sally Ligon) COULD have been a descendant of one of these brothers.

I am not a "Ligon family expert," but it appears that all of these "VA Ligons" PROBABLY connect back to the Colonel Thomas Ligon who was apparently the "American immigrant" of this rather well-known family. I have often wondered if the Henry Brown who married Susan Ligon in SC was out of the "Amelia branch" of the above Browns or if he was instead out of the "Lunenburg/Mecklenburg branch" of the above Browns (versus none of the above). I know that the Hezekiah Brown who moved to Amelia had a son who was also named Hezekiah, and this son married a Miss Irby. They had a son named Irby Brown, and he married Rebecca Bonner Eppes (part of the same overall Eppes family that married into the family of President Thomas Jefferson). I don't know much, if anything, however, about any OTHER descendants of the older Hezekiah Brown and his wife Sally.

We have a DNA donor from the above Hezekiah Brown family. We also have several other DNA donors who match.nearly-match that man, and we BELIEVE that many of these other matches are out of the direct line of Francis Brown "I." As more people join the Brown DNA testing project, we should be able to completely "zero-in" on this overall Brown family. All of these matching/nearly matching DNA donors are in Group 10 on the following website:

http://brownsociety.org/browndna/dna-brown.htm

I strongly encourage any/all male Browns who have not been tested to do so (25 or 37 markers are recommended...doing just 12 markers can lead to "false positives"). This is probably the only way that we will be able to get to the bottom on this Brown family.

A man whose male Brown relative is out of Henry Brown and Susan Ligon provided the following info on the Ligons and Browns. His male Brown relative took the DNA test and matched/nearly-matched the others in Group 10. I note a few "Amelia Co., VA connections" in the following:

Morduca/Mordica/Mortica Brown was a witness on a land sale in 1827 for a Robert Ligon to a S. Tyger in Spartanburg Co., SC..... Robert Ligon was the clerk of interior district in that county....There is a Robert Ligton who was a brother of the Susan Ligon who married Henry
Brown....

Henry Brown's wife Susan Ligon died in
Tenn.....Henry Brown then remarried a Catherine and died in about 1855...

William Ligton who was in Amelia Co., VA married an Ann about 1740; they had a son named Robert Ligon born 1747 in Amelia Co., VA, and she died in Spartanburg Co., SC before 15 Jan 1806; he then married an Edith Watkins, and I have a copy of that will....leaving land to Brown/Ligon.

William Ligon born about 1682 in Henrico Co., VA married about 1702 in VA; died about 1764 Amelia Co., VA....

There is a William Ligon in Henrico Co., VA...born about 1660; married 1680; died 1689.....wife was a Mary Tanner.....her mother was a Mary
Brown.........

Thomas Ligon, born bef 11 Jan 1623/24, married about 1648 in Henrico Co., VA; died 1675; wife was Mary Harris.....

Comments on any of the above?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JC Brown 2 Oct 2001 2:06AM GMT 
MSexton9083 17 Mar 2002 5:43AM GMT 
jcbrownesq 22 Mar 2002 2:32AM GMT 
dadco32002 31 Aug 2007 8:39AM GMT 
tunnelm1 9 May 2008 6:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions