Search for content in message boards

McNamara Clan

Replies: 61

Re: McNamara Clan

Patrick McNamara (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2007 9:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McNamara, Moylan
Ed, just to give an update on my Ireland trip last month. You said your ancesters were from Scariff -- what a lovely area! I had lunch in McNamara's Pub in Scariff and talked with the owner, Michael McNamara. Also visited the East Clare Heritage Center, and took photos of the McNamara graves there (records say there are four, but Center staff could only find three). Bought the book, A History of Tuamgraney & Scariff" by Ger Madden -- 16 McNamaras are listed in the Index. Also bought the East Clare Heritage Journal, No. 12, 2005, pp.41-46; has article by Lorna Maloney, "Conquered Lands: MacNamaras Clare" with a list of 31 refereces.

I visited the Clare Library and did find new information on my Moylan ancestors, but not on my McNamaras. I found the two properties owned by Moylans in 1855 in Ballyglass, Parish of Doora, talked to their current owner -- no house remains -- but these are almost certainly where my Moylan ancestors lived. Next to them is a McNamara property (in 1855) where the house still is, and is lived in by a family related to the McNamaras. I don't have evidence that these McNamaras were my relatives, but my GGF did marry a Moylan descendant from there.

At the Clare Heritage Center in Corofin, no records are available for individuals to search. I did commission an ancestry search, which I hope will be completed by December.

I visited with Brother Sean McNamara in Ennis and spoke with Peader McNamara in Ennis. Both expressed support for The MacNamara Clan Association and a desire to see it continued and expanded. The Association was the major organizer of the 2002 reunion in Ennis. There is a Yahoo website for the Association, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MacN_Clan/, but there has not been activity there since my posting in July 2007. (I plan to copy this message there.)

You might also want to check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Macs_Clearys/, created by Jim McNamara, and which focuses on East Clare, which has more acive participation.

You are probably familiar with http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Y-IRL/ which has a lot of participation, but is not focused on McNamaras.

I have several more leads to follow and I hope that the research at Corofin may turn up some specific information, although it is more likely that nothing will result.

Regarding your posts about the elusive collection of some 300 McNamara ancestries, I too would like to get my hands on it, and hope that someone still has a copy and will volunteer access. My impression is that it was not in computerized format, and could only be copied and faxed or mailed.

Pat McNamara

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
EdAlford22 27 Sep 2007 2:03PM GMT 
Patrick McNamara 27 Sep 2007 4:05PM GMT 
Patrick McNamara 8 Nov 2007 4:48PM GMT 
Patrick McNamara 8 Nov 2007 10:31PM GMT 
EyesOz 9 Nov 2007 1:34AM GMT 
bzauner1222 15 Apr 2012 5:07AM GMT 
Patrick McNamara 8 Nov 2007 4:19PM GMT 
EdAlford22 8 Nov 2007 6:40PM GMT 
JamesMcNamara58 8 Nov 2007 7:11PM GMT 
Patrick McNamara 8 Nov 2007 9:26PM GMT