Miller – Holmes - John & Rachel (Waterbury) Holmes - circa. 1630
Mary Miller, dau. of John Miller m. Richard Holmes, son of John & Rachel (Waterbury) Holmes
Jonathan Miller m. Sarah Holmes, dau.of John & Rachel (Waterbury) Holmes
from a book found on HeritageQuestOnline.com – not in my line as far as I know
Title: Bates, Selleck, and allied families of Stamford, Norwalk, and Fairfield, Connecticut
Authors: Gorham, Henry S.
City of Publication: Noroton, Conn.:
Page Count: 271
Reproduction of original in the American Antiquarian Society.
Reel/Fiche Number: (Genealogy and local history; G12682).
Primary Family Name: Bates family.
John Holmes (son of Francis Holmes), born about 1630 in England, died before 13 Apr. 1715
married 12..3..1639 at Stamford, Conn (HSR)
Rachel Waterbury, born 1640 at Watertown, Mass , dau of John and Rose (Lockwood) Waterbury, gr-daughter of William Waterbury.
10 12 mo. 1668 John Holmes and Rachel his wife received of Joseph Garnsie the portion due Rachel out of the estate of her father, John Waterbury. (Book I, p. 81-1, Stamford Town Records). On the land records often before 1660. Selectman Stamford 1671 for 2 years. Moved from Stamford about 1681 to Bedford, Westchester Co., New York. In the 1710 Census of Bedford. Blacksmith. Held many Town offices in Bedford.
Children of John and Rachel (Waterbury) Holmes:
1. John Holmes, born 8 Oct. 1660 (age 50 on 1710 census Bedford) [or born 18 Oct. 1670 (HSR)]; married Jemima _____; removed to Bedford, New York
2. Mary Holmes, born 25 Sept. 1662; married 19 Nov. 1685, Daniel Clason, son of Stephen and Elizabeth Clason. No Children.
3. Stephen Holmes, born 14 Jan. 1664/5; married 18 Nov. 1686 (HSR), Mary Hobby, dau. of John Hobby, born about 1662; ten children. She married (2) 13 Feb. 1712 (HSR) Benjamin Green.
4. Rachel Holmes, born 7 Dec. 1669, married 1693 Richard Westcoat
5. Jonas Holmes, born 3 Jan. 1672, married 11 May 1692 Sarah (Appleton ??)
6. Sarah Holmes, born (1672) age 38 on 1710 Census Bedford; married 25 Feb 1690/1 Jonathan Miller
7. Richard Holmes, born (1671 ?? ) died before 1710; married about 1691, Mary Miller, dau. of John Miller
8. Rose Holmes, born (1678) age 32 on 1710 Census; died 1750 age 72; married 9 Apr. 1702 (HSR) she “of Bedford” John Westcott; eight children
9. Jonathan Holmes, born (1678) age 36 on 1710 census; married 1701, Dorothy (Roberts ??)
10. David Holmes, born (1680) age 30 on 1710 census; married 1703, Ruth ____; five children
11. Joseph Holmes, born (1683) age 27 on 1710 census; married 1712 Joanna (Beecher ??) – eight children
Genealogy of Francis Holmes of Stamford and Three Generations of His Descendants, by William A. Eardeley, 1911 (manuscript)
History of Greenwich, Conn, by Spencer P. Mead, 1911, p. 566
(HSR) Huntington’s Stamford Registration
History of Stamford, Conn. by Rev. E.B. Huntington, 1868, p. 54, 470
Stephen Clason of Stamford, Conn and Some of his Descendants, by William B. Lapham, 1892.