Search for content in message boards

Caswell & Dempsey POWELL NC/TN

Replies: 11

Re: Caswell & Dempsey POWELL NC/TN

joypat112 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2009 4:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello. I am a descendant of Clara Elizabeth Bell, whose maternal grandmother was Mary Mourning Powell, dtr. of Benjamin Powell, son of Caswell, son of Dempsey Powell. Mary Mourning Powell was always called 'Pollie'.Her sisters were Eliza Jimmie and Lydia Caswell Powell. I have a handwritten document written by Lydia Caroline Powell (m. Elisha Ray of Texas)which she titles "Geneology of the Powells". I allowed the Oklahoma Historical Society to copy this document, which unfortunately has fragments torn out of it. It starts with "The ancestors came from Wales, settled in Va. and moved to Halifax Co. N.C. before the Revolution." She then lists all of the sons and dtrs and who they married, where they moved (Tenn., Ms., Texas, Ind. Territory. If anyone wants it, I have a photograph of Lydia Caroline Powell and her husband, Mr. Ray with his two children, also another tintype of Mary Mourning and Eliza Jimmie dressed in their finery, and a professional photograph of Lydia Caroline, who had no issue, being self-described as a "barren woman, of as much use as a barren field". She whiled her time away in taking a trip to Wales to aquire furniture, painting in oils wherever she traveled. I have two of her paintings, one of a scene in Fla., one in Wales on "My grand tour of the old country". She was a newpaper columnist, a forerunner of Ann Landers, with a column called "Ask Aunt Pollie". She regularly took the waters in Eureka Springs, Ak. She said of her sister, Mary Mourning who married ____Bell that "she married beneath her". Why? Money? family? My sister has two large portraits of Mr. Bell and Mary Mourning (Pollie) and he is extremely handsome. Lydia was a member of Colonial Dames, as was her cousin in Texas. The Okla. Hist. Society has a book entitled 'The Annals of the Fowlers' by Mrs. James Joyce Arthur which contains letters from Lydia C. Powell to her cousin, Eliza Fowler.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
janicekmc 14 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Mary Meyer 1 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Mary Meyer 1 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
mccammon 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Nanci Swindle 13 Sep 2004 3:21PM GMT 
rabbit2009 19 Sep 2004 3:01AM GMT 
Nanci Swindle 20 Sep 2004 1:04PM GMT 
joypat112 26 Aug 2009 10:37PM GMT 
Maurice Abraham 28 Aug 2009 7:56PM GMT 
Maurice Abraham 28 Aug 2009 8:13PM GMT 
per page