tdhudson (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2003 6:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2003 7:25AM GMT
Surnames: Seale, Seal, Seals,
Below is a list of all the Seale men from North Carolina who I can prove served
in the military during the American Revolution. These records come from two
sources:

(1) Treasurers and Comptrollers Papers, Revolutionary Army Accounts (found in the
North Carolina State Archives). Between 1777 and the early 1790s, the new state
spent much effort to reimburse any citizens who helped to support the patriot
cause (militarily or with supplies). Although these records are extremely
confusing and do not give any indication of the activities of the soldiers
or officers, they are accepted as proof of military service for the patriots
during the Revolution.

(2) Compiled Military Service Records, National Archives. These records only
deal with soldiers from North Carolina who served in the Continental Line.

I would very much appreciate any additional information on these Seale men. Also,
if anyone has proof that other Seales performed military service during the
Revolution, I would like to learn of it.

NORTH CAROLINA SEALES WHO SERVED IN THE CONTINENTAL LINE:

** Francis Seal - served as a private in the North Carolina Light Dragoons,
Continental Line. He was paid 4 pounds on 25 Jan 1777 for "riding express". He was
paid 116 pounds, 27 shillings for 17 months service that included the entire year 1777.
He received a land grant of 182 acres after the war.

** John Seals - served as a private in the 7th North Carolina Regiment,
Continental Line. He was paid 19 pounds in Dec 1776, 12 pounds in Apr 1777, and 12
pounds in May 1777. His April payment was for "waggon & team hire". He died in
October 1777. His heirs were paid for his services and they received a land grant
after the war in his name.

** Solomon Seal - private in Lt. Col. Lytle's Command, Caswell County North Carolina.
He was listed in Randolph County in 1790.

NORTH CAROLINA SEALES WHO SERVED IN NORTH CAROLINA MILITARY UNITS:

** William Seale - the North Carolina government paid Lieutenant William Seal 30 pounds in
Dec 1778 for service performed. He apparently commanded his own unit after this,
for after the war Captain William Seale and his company were paid.

Captain Seale's company consisted of men from Cumberland (later Moore) County. The
few records are unclear as to whether this is William Seale, Sr. or his son William
Jr. However, the available records indicate that this man was the elder William.
Prior to the beginning of the war, William Seale, Sr. served as a justice on the
Cumberland County court. After the Revolution, when Moore County was cut off from
Cumberland in 1784, William Sr. was elected as Moore County's first representative
to the North Carolina General Assembly. He also served as one of the first justices
on the Moore County court. The North Carolina records I have studied do not give any
hint of the activities of Captain Seale's company during the war.

** Charles Seale - the son of William Seale, Sr., he served in Captain William Seale's
company from Cumberland County. After the war, he lived in Moore County until the early 1790s,
when he moved to Tennessee. He married Isabella and died in 1818.

** John Seale - the son of William Seale, Sr., he served in Captain William Seale's
company from Cumberland County. He moved to Kershaw Dist SC by 1796, but I have no record
of him after that.

** Anthony Seale - this man served in Captain William Seale's company from Cumberland
County. Captain William Seale, Sr. also had a son named 'Anthony' who died in Kershaw Dist
SC in 1799, and I believe Captain Seale's son is the Anthony Seale who served in Captain
Seale's company. Captain Seale did have a brother (Anthony Seale, III) and two nephews
(sons of his brothers Anthony and Charles) named 'Anthony', which complicates making a
precise identification of the soldier Anthony Seale. However, Captain William Seale's
brother and one nephew resided in Prince William County VA during the bulk of the Revolution,
and the other nephew (the son of Charles) in South Carolina. Thus, all indications point
towards this soldier being the son of Captain William Seale. At Anthony's death in 1799, he
had no wife or children, and left all his property to his brother Charles.

** Thomas Seale - this person also served in the unit from Cumberland County. Captain Seale
had a brother and two nephews by this name who were of military age during the
Revolution. One nephew (the son of Charles & Lydia Muse Seale) apparently lived in
South Carolina after 1770, and probably performed his military service (if any) there.
However, Captain Seale's brother and other nephew (Thomas Seale, Sr. and his son Thomas Jr.)
resided in Cumberland County through the year 1782. I believe that the soldier Thomas Seale
was either Captain Seale's brother or nephew, but I have no idea how to make a conclusive
judgment on this.

** William Seale - the records do not distinguish whether this was a second man
by this name who served or the same as Captain William Seale. However, it appears
to be a second man, presumably Captain Seale's son, William Seale, Jr.

** H. Seals - I cannot identify this person, but they were paid some 47 pounds for
their service. There was a Hannah Seal listed in Halifax County (a hotbed of patriot
sentiment and the NC provisional government capital beginning in 1776) in 1790, and often
the widows or mothers of deceased soldiers received payments in these records. On the
other hand, Henry Seales lived in Rockingham county in 1790, so he could have been this person.

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions