Search for content in message boards

Mathias Ward Descendants

Replies: 17

Re: Mathias Ward Descendants

cmward71 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2009 7:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have Elizabeth Ramagos' sixty years of research on this family if you are looking for info on Mathias Ward. If this is your family, contact me directly for the other info I have. Make sure this is the family you are looking for and let me know. Scroll to the bottom of this post to get a quick view of who this family is and if it is also your family.

Descendants of Thomas Warde

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS1 WARDE was born Abt. 1745 in Ireland. He married UNKNOWN (WARD).

Notes for THOMAS WARDE:
All of the information I'm entering into this file comes from Elizabeth Ramagos who spent 60 years researching all these Wards. I'm transcribing files of notes:

Source below: States in his son's Will (Mathias) that Thomas from Dublin Ireland was his father

The Ancient History of the Distinguished Surname Ward: The chronicles of England, though sometimes shrouded by the mists of time, reveal the early records of the name Ward as a Norman surname which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven into the colourful fabric as an intrinsic part of the history of Britain. Careful research by professional analysts using such ancient manuscripts, as the Domesday Book, (compiled in 1086 by William the Conqueror), the Ragman Rolls, the Wace poem, the honour Roll of the Battel Abbey. The Curia Regis, Pipe Rolls, the Falaise Roll, tax records, baptismals, family genealogies, and local parish and church records, shows the first record of the name Ward was found in Northampton, and local parish and church records, shows the first record of the name Ward was found in Northampton, where they had been seated from ancient times, and the first on record was Osbert de Varde of Givendale in the year 1130, who was a descendant of Fouques de Vardes of Normandy. His descendent Simon Ward was Governor of Pontefract Castle in 1324. Many alternative spellings of the name were found. They were typically linked to a common root, usually one of the Norman nobles at the Battle of Hastings. Your name, Ward, occurred in many references, and from time to time, the surname included the spellings of Ward, Warde, Varde, and many more. Scribes recorded and spelled the name as it sounded. It was not unlikely that a person would be born with one spelling, married with another, and buried with a headstone, which showed another. All three spellings related to the same person. Sometimes preferences for different spelling variations either came from a division of the family, or, had religious reasons, or sometimes, patriotic reasons. The family name Ward, is believed to be descended originally from the Norman race. They were commonly believed to be of French origin but were more accurately, of Viking origin, The Vikings landed in the Orkneys and Northern Scotland about the year 870 AD, under their Chief, Stirgud the Stout. Later under their Jarl, Thorfinn Rollo, they invaded France about 940 AD, The French King, Charles the Simple, after Rollo laid siege to Paris, finally conceded defeat and granted northern France to Rollo. Rollo became the first Duke of Normandy, the territory of the North Men. Duke William who invaded and defeated England in 1066, was descended from the first Duke Rollo of Normandy. Duke William took a census of most of England in 1086, and recorded it in the Domesday Book. A family name capable of being traced back to his document, or to Hastings, was a signal honour for most families during the middle ages, and even to this day. Tfhe surname Ward emerged as a notable English family name in the country of Northampton. This great Northampton family branched into Yorkshire by the 15th century, and by the 16th century had moved into Norfolk, Oxfordshire, and Warwickshire. They were elevated to the peerage as Barons Dudley and the Viscounts Bangor, and reassumed the title of Baron Ward, which had become extinct with Simon in 1324. They Northwood (sp???) Park, St. Peter’s in Phanet, Calverley, Willie, and Ogborne St. Andrew. The titles of the Earls of Dudley are still held. Of note amongst the family at this time was Baron Simon Ward.
The surname Ward contributed much to local politics and in the affairs of England or Scotland. During the 12th century many of these Norman families moved north to Scotland, following Earl David of Huntingdon who would become the King of Scotland. Later, in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries, England and Scotland were ravaged by religious and political conflict. The Monarchy, the Church and Parliament fought for supremacy. The unrest caused many to think of distant lands.
Settlers in Ireland became known as the “adventurers for land in Ireland”. They “undertook” to keep the Protestant faith, and were granted lands previously owned by the Irish. In Ireland they settled in Wexford, Dublin, and Bangor Castle in county Down. The news of attractions for the New World spread like wildfire. Many sailed aboard the fleet of sailing ships know as the “White Sails”.
In North America, migrants, which could be considered kinsmen of the family name Ward, or variable spellings of that same family name included Thomas Ward who settled in St. John’s Newfoundland in 1757;, Andrew Ward settled in New England in 1630: Elizabeth Ward settled in Virginia ain 1635, along with Grace, Robert, Richard, John: George Ward settled in Boston Mass. In 1737, along with Henry: Andrew Ward of Fairfield Conn. Was Colonial Commissioner for that State, who claimed descendancy from the original Osbert. From the port of arrival many settlers joined the wagon trains westward. During the Ward of Independence some declared their loyalty to the crown and moved northward into Canada and became know as the United Empire Loyalists.
Meanwhile, the family name was prominent in the social scene. There were notables of this name, Ward: Sir Aubrey Ward: Dam Barbara Ward: General Sir Dudley War: Sir John Ward: Sir Terence Ward: professor Stacey Ward, Engineer: Judge Roy Ward: General Sir Richard Ward.
In the process of researching this distinguished family name we also traced the most ancient grant of Coat of Arms from the branches, which developed their own arms. The most ancient grant of a Coat of arms found was: Chequered gold and blue with and ermine diagonal stripe. The Crest was: A lion’s head emerging from a crown. The ancient family Motto for this distinguished name was {Comme Je Fus)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROOF THOMAS WARD FROM DUBLIN IS THE FATHER OF MATHIAS WARD
FROM MATHIAS' WILL BELOW - Other children of John C and Sarah (Clark) Ward were: John Shirley, Rebecca E, Laura V, Robert H and Silas Ward. John C Ward was the son of Matthew (Mathias) Ward, native of Dublin, Ireland, who settled after the Revolutionary War at Savannah, Ga. son of Thomas Ward, large landowner in the City of Dublin, Ireland. Sarah Clark's ancestry may be found in the Madison Co. Ala. Records.

Alabama Records, Talladega Co by Gar? Vol 23 Gen. 976.161 G V 1

on page 209; Mathias Ward - Last Will and Testament dated 5 October 1830; probated 2 Dec. 1836. Thomas Ward; Margaret Ward, wife of Absolom Cornelius; Martin Ward after his death, to his wife, Elizabeth Ward and after her death to his son, Mathias Ward; John C Ward; Eleanor War, wife of Benjamin Huggins; William Ward; Mary Ward; wife of Hector Connor; Katherine Ward; Mathias Ward, Junior; Lewis S Ward, to be given him in his 17th year; Ann Maria Huggins, daughter of Benjamin Huggins; Martin Ward. Witnesses; George Darwin, Neil Shaw. Note; The wife of Mathias Ward Sr was Elizabeth Salmons. Most of the children married in Madison Co. Ala

NOTE: The WILL of Mathias Ward was evidently made in Madison County, Alabama, as all the persons named therein were residents of that county. They probably moved to Talladega County after the will was made. Rev. William Eldred Ward son of John C Ward and grandson of Mathias Ward was the founder of Ward Seminary in Nashville, Tennessee in 1865. "Prominent Tennesseans: by Spear gives the following account; "Rev. W E Ward was born near Huntsville, Alabama Dec. 21 1829, son of John C Ward born at Augusta, Ga Oct. 23 1796, moved to Texas 1849, where he died in 1856. Other children of John C and Sarah (Clark) Ward were: John Shirley, Rebecca E, Laura V, Robert H and Silas Ward. John C Ward was the son of Matthew (Mathias) Ward, native of Dublin, Ireland, who settled after the Revolutionary War at Savannah, Ga. son of Thomas Ward, large landowner in the City of Dublin, Ireland. Sarah Clark's ancestry may be found in the Madison Co. Ala. Records.

Notes for UNKNOWN (WARD):

Child of THOMAS WARDE and UNKNOWN (WARD) is:
2. i. MATHIAS2 WARD, b. 1770, Dublin County Cork Ireland; d. Dec 1836, Talladega, Alabama.

Generation No. 2

2. MATHIAS2 WARD (THOMAS1 WARDE) was born 1770 in Dublin County Cork Ireland, and died Dec 1836 in Talladega, Alabama. He married ELIZABETH REBECCA SALMONS1 Abt. 1788 in VA GA Ala, daughter of LEWIS SALMONS and SARAH SHANNON. She was born Dec 1771 in Georgia, and died 20 Jun 1853 in Gilmer, Upshur County, Texas.

Notes for MATHIAS WARD:
Information from the files of Elizabeth (Ward) Ramagos who spent sixty years researching this family.

April 2006 All the Ward information I have in this tree is from Elizabeth Ward (Ramagos). She told me when she was eighteen she asked her father about the Ward family history and he did not know anything or much of anything. He suggested she contact an uncle. This first act of interest was the beginning of Elizabeth Ward's quest for Ward ancestry information. After she married Jerry Ramagos, they spent their vacation time and retirement time for over fifty years traveling from state to state, court house to court house, cemetery to cemetery all over the United States. Her husband told me sometimes they would look in the phone book in towns with Wards, knock on doors or call looking for information for trails to follow. She did all this research by hand and kept excellent records. Everything she has is well documented. A few years ago now that she is in poor health she gave me all her research with a promise from me that this accurate information would be made available to others researching Ward families. I have about twelve thousand pages of documentation to go through to try to post. Some is from early copy machines and the copies aren't clear. She has everything from Wills, obits, articles, copies of 1800's journals, census reports, land purchases, slave records, etc on many of these people.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SEE NOTES ON ELIZABETH R SALMON:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Ward Information Elbert County, Ga Compiled by Irene S. Wilcox 1978
Mathias had 2 draws in 1806 lottery. This meant he was head of household, had been in State three years at least. No military service mentioned or required. Ceded land from Creek Indians in this Lottery. Letter enclosed showing results of draw. (I'm not sure the rest of this has been proven or is correct. I have no record that Mathias had a brother named William) This author Wilcox goes on to say, I have concluded that he and William Ward were brothers. William has many descendants here. William Ward's record has been compiled from war records, local records, Bible, etc. His wife was Sarah Vernon. Hi pension record is S32048. I have read it. It shows he was living in Culpepper Co. Va, when he enlisted.

Deed Book B Folio 156 William Norris of Franklin Co. Ga, deeds to William Ward of Elbert county 450 acres on Coldwater Creek, original grant to Norris. Deed Jan. 20, 1793. He lived right on that land and died at 93.

The book my friend had on Ward family was published by The American Genealogical Research Institute; 1235 Kenilworth Ave. N. E. Washington DC, 200019. It listed his William Ward in Rev. Soldiers. Had short biographies of some Wards. You Texas Mathias had a rather long one in ration to others.
Other books with Ward information include:
Meade's Old Virginia families and Churches
robertson's Pocohontas' Descendants
Va. Historiacal Magzine Vol. II
Va. Co. records Vols. I;, II;, VI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----This is a copy that has a black background and white lettering that is hard to read.
THE STATE OF TEXAS
HOPKINS COUNTY
Personally appeared before one Mathias Ward County Judge of Hopkins County D.C Ward Duly Sworn in proper form of Law. That he is a beneficial settler and making improvements on the public domain, the sale of which is contemplated in the fifth? (could be tenth) section of an ach?? entitled an ach?? authorizing the sale of the public domain approved February 1st, 1869, and that he has not previously had the benefit of the 8th Section of said ach? Sworn to and subscribed DC Ward this the 2nd day of Nov 1869, AD. Also at the said?? time personally appreared before me Matthias Ward Court Judge Hopkins County C P Cambelle and Hiram Spencer two credible witnesses to me well known and being both sworn. Say that the statements in the frequency affidavit are true Hiram and Spencer. Sworn to an Subscribed by CD Campbell this the 2nd day of Nov 1869
In testimony of which I here unto sign my name and office the seal of the Court -don at office in Hopkins Co Texas the day and date above written Matthias Ward County, Judge HCL??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Alabama Records Book 153 Madison Co B7 page 1 & 2
Book E, page 373 11 Oct. 1825 Mathias Ward and wife Elizabeth of Madison Co. Ala to Martin Ward of Walker Co, Ala 3,000 Sec 28 22 RIW
Book F, page 290 3 Dec 1834 Mathias Ward and wife Elizabeth to John Sany??/ SW 3/4 Sec 38 T2 RIW
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Letter from Pauline Jones 1933:
From a pamphlet (Land Lottery List of Oglethorpe County, Georgia in 1804 and Hancock County, Georgia in 1806 published 1928 by Martha Lou Houston of Columbus, Ga. Page 20: Capt. Huff's District....Robert Clark, Sr. 2 draws. A little below this is Cornelius Clarke, 2 draws. (Note: I am informed by Miss Ruth Blair, State Librarian, that in these lotteries a single man was permitted to draw once, a married man twice.

Once Miss Houston loaned me some books, being Georgia County records compiled and printed by the Georgia D. A. R from which I made some notes, without putting down the exact name of the book. In this connection I see in my notebook Page 183 Franklin County Georgia. Deeds. Rowland Cornelius and wife Ellen, 1808.
……………………………………………………
More correspondence from Kathleen Jones
Records of Madison County, Alabama show:
Deed Book K, page 373. 11 October, 1826, Matthias Ward and Elizabeth Ward his wife of the County of Madison, State of Alabama, to Martin Ward of the County of Walker and state afore said….land in Madison County.
Deed Book K Page 85. One Thomas Ward and wife Elizabeth of Madison County Alabama sell and to William Wright. 7 January, 1826
Deed Book P Page 190. 3 December, 1834. Mathias Ward and Elizabeth Ward his wife of Madison County, Alabama, to John Seay….Land in Madison Co.
Deed Book M. Page 601 6 March, 1830. David Humphries to George Darwin; land in Madison County. (Note: this is the ancestor of George Darwin, present tax assessor of this county) Deed Boom M, page 666 Deed of trust, Neil Shaw of the 1st part. Clinton Jones of the 2nd part and creditors of show named of the 3rd. 24, April, 1830.

Marriage Record No. 3; Hector Connor and Mary Ward. License issued 24 Feb. 1824; no return shown.

Deed Book B. Page 228 Absalom Cornelius and wife Peggy to Henry Chambers: land in Madison Co. 13 Nov. 1816. Deed Book H, page 284; Rowland Cornelius makes deed of gift to son Absalom Cornelius; slave 11 July, 1822.

Probate Record No. 2, page 364. Will of Rowland Cornelius. 12 July, 1822 July term, 1822 “Having heretofore provided for my children by deed of gift:… Wife Allen….

Will of Eleanor Cornelius, 3 April 1861 Jan. 1863, does not mention Absalom. Final Settlement of the estates of Madison Cornelius, 2 Dec 1840, and Rowland Cornelius (Junior) do not mention him: there fore I assume he had died, and without issue. (Note: We have a number of the Cornelius tombstone dates; a descendant says originally form NC) Will of Cornelius Clark 2 Oct. 1828-21 Oct. 1828. This probably same one that lived in Hancock County. Ga. 1806 and perhaps a brother of Robert. (Does his name indicate kinship with the Cornelius family)?

I Kathleen Paul Jones, hereby certify that the above notes from the records of this county were made by me directly from the sources named.
(Signed) Kathleen Paul Jones
July 26, 1933.

Talladega County Alabama. Book A. Register of Wills.
209. Will of Matthias Ward Dated 15 October, 1830; Probated 2 December, 1836. Thomas Ward, Margaret Ward, wife of Absalem Cornelius,; Martin Ward, and after his death to his wife Elizabeth Ward; and after her death to his son Matthias Ward; John C. Ward; Eleanor Ward wife of Benjamin Huggins; William Ward; Mary Ward wife of Hector Connor; Katherine Ward; Matthias Ward Junr.; Lewis S. Ward to be given to him in his 17th year; Ann Maria Huggins, daughter of Benjamin Huggins; Martin Ward. Witnesses “George Darwin, Neill Shaw.

I Pauline Jone Gandrud herby certify that the above abstract of the will of Matthias Ward was made by me from the will as recorded in Book A., Page 209, in the records of Talladega County, Talladega, Alabama,
Signed Pauline Jones Gendrud
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other notes I found.
Letter from Kathleen Paul Jones to Judge DeWitt: no date given. Assume from other letter around 1933.
Dear Judge DeWitt,
Here is the material promised. I think I have included it all; if I overlooked anything promised, remind me of it. In the obituary referring to Robert Clark’s being a soldier, as I told you, the date of birth differs one year from the tombstone record; either a typographical error or error of the writer of the obituary. The Milledgeville Ga. Paper is requested to copy, which is in the county adjoining Hancock. Don’t know why the Nashville paper is also asked to copy. The obituary, the lawsuit, and the lottery list, I think, make proof positive of the previous residence.

Mr. Hubbard Kelly of Jeff. Ala.--- Told us the Cornelius family was from North Carolina, but like many others they apparently lived in Georgia for a time. Wish I had the name of the book with that deed, but know was one of the Ga. DAR books of county records-doubtless they are in your library. Mathias Ward’s name may have been there too- I noted only the ones I was sure of, and at that time my acquaintance with our early citizens was not as extensive as it is now. I know that Absalom Cornelius marriage record is not here – nor that of several of the other children, so naturally assume they married before coming here. Rowland patented land here in Aug. 1809, when it was first put on sale; might have lived here several years before, as a good many did, “squatting” until the government permitted purchase. On the 15th of April, 1810 Matthias Ward, assignee, received patent on the N/E ¼ of Sec 25 T 4 R 1E. It is about one chance in a thousand that by writing the general land office at Washington and giving his location it might mention previous residence – a very few do. I do not understand why Matthias Ward does not mention his wife in his will; she was living 1826-1834; the will was made 1830. Perhaps she had enough in her own right; The Dept. of Archives in Montgomery has a lot of old newspapers of several counties—all of ours, I know whether or not they have any of Talladega’s I can’t say, but if so might find Matthias Ward’s obituary. Since he sold in 1808 in Ga. Patenting here 1809 that gives very close to time of removal.

My father in law is a trustee of the Blind School and when he went to a board meeting last summer my sister and I went along; we worked in the courthouse only about two hours but found about a half dozen of our people who had moved down there.

As a summary, it appears that Robert Clark was born in Halifax Co. N c and doubtless married there, as his wife was a Sledge and I know they were also of that state; moved to Hancock Co. Ga. Before 1806, living there until after 1816 coming here about that time, where they both died.

As we know that Mathias Ward’s daughter Margaret married Absalom Cornelius elsewhere, it is far to assume it was in Franklin Co. Ga. Where we know Rowland Cornelius, his father, lived in 1808. Therefore the logical place to look for War Records would be Franklin Co. Ga.

We have the marriage of a Benjamin Huggins and Martha Cobb here. As I told you, our first books were copied by one of the most careless persons imaginable and there is no doubt in my mind it is really the Benjamin Juggins who married Eleanor Ward; he either was too dizzy to read it correctly or too careless to be sure he had the right name. I hope he is spending his day in purgatory, recopying over and over those records with which he handled so badly; If they had only preserved the originals so I could check by them—but I have lost hope of unearthing them. Destroyed lan syne, no doubt.

I hope you will enjoy the data sent, and fee it is worth the price;

Very truly your,
Kathleen Paul Jones
1089 White St.
Huntsville, Alabama

---------------------------------------------------
Austin General Library: Franklin County Tax Digests:
1. Franklin Co GA Tax Digests Vol 1 - 1798 - 1809 pages 94 - 95; 198 - 199; 222 - 223
2. Deeds of Franklin Co. Ga 1784 - 1826 pages 232-233
Names associated with the Ward family included in these deeds Matthias Ward, Payne, Sam Bobo, Samuel, John, and Shannon; Absolom Cornelius.
----------------------------------------------------
In Elizabeth Ward Ramagos' file she has a copy of a 1880 Census Report from Hopkins County Texas.
----------------------------------------------------
STATEMENT IN WILL BELOW THAT IS PROOF THAT MATTHIAS WARD'S FATHER WAS THOMAS WARD FROM IRELAND
John C Ward was the son of Matthew (Mathias) Ward, native of Dublin, Ireland, who settled after the Revolutionary War at Savannah, Ga. son of Thomas Ward, large landowner in the City of Dublin, Ireland.
______ _______ _______
Alabama Records, Talladega Co by Gar? Vol 23 Gen. 976.161 G V 1
page 209; Mathias Ward - Last Will and Testament dated 5 October 1830; probated 2 Dec. 1836. Thomas Ward; Margaret Ward, wife of Absalom Cornelius; Martin Ward after his death, to his wife, Elizabeth Ward and after her death to his son, Mathias Ward; John C Ward; Eleanor War, wife of Benjamin Huggins; William Ward; Mary Ward; wife of Hector Connor; Katherine Ward; Mathias Ward, Junior; Lewis S Ward, to be given him in his 17th year; Ann Maria Huggins, daughter of Benjamin Huggins; Martin Ward. Witnesses; George Darwin, Neil Shaw. Note; The wife of Mathias Ward Sr was Elizabeth Salmons. Most of the children married in Madison Co. Ala
NOTE: The WILL of Mathias Ward was very evidently made in Madison County, Alabama, as all the persons named therein were residents of that county. They probably moved to Talladega County after the will was made. Rev. William Eldred Ward son of John C Ward and grandson of Mathias Ward was the founder of Ward Seminary in Nashville, Tennessee in 1865. "Prominent Tennesseans: by Spear gives the following account; "Rev. W E Ward was born near Huntsville, Alabama Dec. 21 1829, son of John C Ward born at Augusta, Ga Oct. 23 1796, moved to Texas 1849, where he died in 1856. Other children of John C and Sarah (Clark) Ward were: John Shirley, Rebecca E, Laura V, Robert H and Silas Ward. John C Ward was the son of Matthew (Mathias) Ward, native of Dublin, Ireland, who settled after the Revolutionary War at Savannah, Ga. son of Thomas Ward, large landowner in the City of Dublin, Ireland. Sarah Clark's ancestry may be found in the Madison Co. Ala. Records.

Elizabeth Ramagos files has two copies of land transactions that are not readable.

MISC. INFORMATION THAT MIGHT PERTAIN TO MATTHIAS WARD 1760-1770

NEW JERSEY COLONIAL DOCUMENTS P.214 (1768)

To the Public:
The following is a new Plan for the Stage Waggon, from Powlas=Hook, preposed by the Subscribers,viz. A waggon to set off every day in the week, (Sundays excepted) one from Powlas-Hook, and another from Mr. James Banks's, at Neward, precisely at half an hour passengers; and every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Ward's waggon returns immediately from the said Ferry through Neward, to Elizabeth-Twon; stays there till 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and then returns back again through Neward, for Powlas-Hook. Passengers from Banks's, will be always be on sure footing on the Elizabeth Town days, as well at other times, for the waggon should be full from Elizabeth-Town for New York. W... will wait there at the appointed times.

All persons who are pleased to encourage this under taking, are desired to be punctual to the times above mentioned, as the waggons must be very exact in meeting as Capt. Brown's Ferry; and they may depend (God willing) on constant attendance, and good usage.
By their humble servants,
Mathias Ward and John Thompson
---------------------------------------------------------
Note in file: From Camp Gilliam's letter written Oct. 1, 1979; Although a few individual example were given one caught my eye: A deed dated 19 August, 1665 where a William Ward of Houghton, Northamspire grants to Thomas Ward, his son and heir, all the personal property of his brother the late Robert Ward of Derrilasiane Ireland. An of those names sound familiar? Could be g.grand parents of Mathias, possibly. While it is true most of the wills were lost in the Dublin fire of 1922, over four thousand had been abstracted by P. Boyd Eustace, Dublin (1954-1956) that cover the period from 1708 to 1785. Even where there are no wills there are many deeds that escaped the fire. The Mormons have made about 28 rolls of film of these and have them at Salt Lake.

Notes for ELIZABETH REBECCA SALMONS:
Notes from Donald Ward, gives her death at 1883 instead of 1853 from other records. It states her age was 82 when she died.
------------------------------
1850 United States Federal Census
about Elizabeth Ward
Name: Elizabeth Ward
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1771
Birth Place: Virginia
Home in 1850 (City,County,State): Upshur, Upshur, Texas
----------------------------

Obit: Clarksville Northern Standard
Saturday June 25, 1853

Departed this life on Friday the 20th, inst. (inst means current month) in this place, Mrs. Elizabeth Ward, mother of Dr. William and Col. Matt Ward. The deceased had long been confined to her bed with both age and affliction. She is the mother of many sons and daughters that stand high in the estimation of their neighbors and friends, which is a proof of her good example in this world as a mother and a Christian. She has departed from among us to join the supernatural host whither our Fathers have gone.

We sympathize with her friends and relatives in this loss, but the earth claims it's own, and the tomb is the end of the earth, for dust thou art and unto dust shall return and the spirit to God who gave it.
(Reprinted from the Gilmer Star)

She was the daughter of Lewis Salmon and Sarah Margaret Shannon. Camp
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See Census Reports for her husband Mathias Ward
ORDER TO VIEW TEXAS ORIGINAL LAND GRANT MAPS, HOPKINS COUNTY formed 1846 Parent County Lamar, Nacogdoches ---- GENERAL LAND OFFICE, TEXAS 1896, 1899, 1906
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A typed page, in Elizabeth Ramagos' file, on the Salmons, Shannon and Ward families.
Typed Page in File unedited as typed:
The earliest verifiable records we have on our families of Salmons, Shannon and Ward are located in Cumberland County of Virginia when John Salmon SR died and left a Will in 1761, naming his wife, Eleanor, and sons, John, Lewis, Ezkiah and Rowland saying that John was the eldest, leaving the three youngest under the care of the eldest son, John. He named his wife, Eleanor and son John as Executors. The Will was signed 29 Jan 1761 It is in Will Book 1 Page 219.
In 1980 Camp Gilliam (Family Researcher) got a letter from John Salmon in, I believe, Virginia and to quote from that letter:
"I have found a few stray references to him (John Salmon) in the 1730's Goochland Co order books (swearing, etc) but nothing to indicate where he came from. I think I've told you I believe the family came to the Goochland-Cumberland area from Hanover New Kent, mainly because it was an established route of migration. There are reference to Goochland-Cumberland families, including the Rowlands, in the Hanover-New Kent area, and the Salmons were there, too, a generation earlier.
In 1744, John Salmon, was given 150 acres in what became Cumberland Co in 1749, by Benjamin Dumas, for "saving" a land grant for Dumas--cultivation the required amount of land for him. John sold the land the next year; but I believe he remained there as a renter. For the rest of his life he was in and out of court for debt, and almost always lost his cases. Even after he died his estate was sold, and then his son John, who evidently tried to keep the farm and family together, gave up and ran away to Halifax County in 1764. He had managed to scrape together enough money to buy some land there and make a new start. Eleanor Salmon finally settled her husband's estate in 1767 and took the other three children to join young John in what had now become Pittsylvania County."
Then in 1770, March, Lewis married Margaret Shannon, daughter of Thomas Shannon, in Pittsylvania County VA. After that sometime the families, at least Lewis and his family and Shannons moved to South Carolina and Georgia where we again pick up records on Thomas Shannon when he died, leaving a Will in "Wilkes County GA in 1783 or 84 as his Will was signed 28 November 1783. The Inventory of his Estate was recorded 12 February 1794.
At the time of his death and in his Will, Thomas named his own children, apparently, those who were still living, and his grandchildren, so two of his daughters must have been dead for they are not named, but their children are named and named as children of the fathers, Lewis Salmons. Lewis Salmons is named as being deceased. The other grandchildren are Thomas and Mary Paxton. He also names his daughter Hannah Owens. He lists his land as being part of 400 acres two surveys joining each other and also joining General E Clark's land, running parallel with Savannah River. The land will not to go to the sons, until after the death of his, wife, Eleanor. Eleanor, Owen and Thomas Shannon were all named as Executors of his Will. The witnesses were Dury Harrington, Mary Paxton, and John Salmon. Later Mary Paxton married a Peacock with her grandmother, Eleanor Shannon, giving consent, in 1796.
The land that Shannon Willed his sons; was sold by them in 1797, so Eleanor must have died by then. The county of Lincoln had been formed by then and their lands were found in Lincoln County. The description reads: Lying and being in the county of Lincoln on the waters of Newford Creek, being said Shannon grant of land willed to him by his father and also being part of two different surveys bounded as follow (to wit) SW by Thomas Walton Jr & William Jones land S East by William Maders land N East by Gen E Clarks land and North West by a line dividing the above tract from Thomas Shannons land which line is begun and running from the beginning making two hundred acres more or less. This was when Owen sold his inheritance. Then Thomas sold his 1/2 of the Estate in 1798, his description Reads: Certain tract of parcel of land containing two hundred acres or upwards situated lying & being in the state aforesaid, Lincoln County, bounded by Savannah River Eastward by beginning on the corner hickory running then on General Clark's line #NO 40W422CHS to a corner Red Oak then #NO East 46 chs to a corner Hickory on the Red River, then with the claim in the river down to the beginning corner Hickory. The said land being a part of a tract or survey of land granted originally in two grants to Thomas Shannon, deed, one of the grants containing two hundred acres & the other the like quantity one of the grants granted and dated the 25th of March 1775 & the other the 18th of September 1784.
These dates show that Thomas Shannon was in that area by 1775. His granddaughter, Elizabeth Salmons Ward, was born about Dec 1770, according to the 1850 FC of Texas as will as the obit we have of her death.
Lewis Salmons died about October 1781 since an inventory of his Estate was made at that time. Also, he had died Intestate and his widow, Sarah Sammons, was named as Administratrix of his Estate. Just who this Sarah was, we don't know. It could have been another name of Margaret Shannon's or it could have been another wife. According to the records published in the book THE WILKES COUNTY PAPERS 1773-1833 Lewis Salmons is listed in His Majesty's Troup of Rangers in 1773, 1774, 1775, and 1776.
We have n further information on John Salmons, but he may have been the John Sammons who married Elizabeth Lane in 1896, Wilkes Co, GA, but we do have a lot more information on the brother, Lewis Salmons, for he stayed in the area and married Mary Bobo. We have a great deal of if information on some of the children of Lewis and Mary Bobo, but it is not relevant except where their paths crossed.
Matthias Ward: We know that he and Elizabeth Salmons were married by the time of the death of Thomas Shannon, as she is named in the Will as being the wife of Mathias Ward. In 1797 in Lincoln Co GA Mathias and Elizabeth, along with her brothers, John and Lewis Salmons, sold land on Fishing Creek to a William Overstreet and his wife. This was 8 April. Then 2 Nov 1795 Mary Bobo, Thomas Hooker and Mathias Ward sold a slave, female, named Grace, to Angus Johnson. This was in Elbert Co GA. At the time of the sale of the land from Lincoln County, Ward was living in Elbert Co. GA. In 1794 Ward bought land on Cedar Creek, being in the county aforesaid on both sides of Cedar Creek beginning on the South side of said Creek on a small Red Oak corner, then along the old line to a Pine corner, then to a Pine corner, then along the said line to a corner stake then along a new line to the head of a branch and down said branch to the mouth thence along a new line beginning corner Red Oak corner which said tract of land being a part of a tract of land granted to John Trimble by patent bearing date the 24th day of April 1786. In 1796 Ward purchased land in Franklin Co GA from Joel Crain. At the time Ward was living in Elbert Co. He paid 500 pounds sterling for this land. It was 150 acre parcel of land and was said to be situated lying and being in Elbert County on the North Fork of Lightwood Log Creek, bounded on all sides by vacant land at the line of surveying beginning at a long SW to the first bank (or branch) above McDugald Lived Riley Bennett to the mouth of the said branch of the North side of the said creek then to join the said line on the South side of said creek S10E (the 1 could be an L). as aforesaid to a Post Oak N80E45chains to the beginning to have and hold, etc. Signed in the presence of Moses Rush and John Salmon.
1793, 27 June, Wilkes Co. GA, Mathias Ward purchased a slave named Peter from James Huling. 1803, 28 January, Mathias Ward purchased land from Hugh MacDonald in Elbert County of Lightwood Log Creek, According to Obit of Elizabeth Salmons Ward they moved into Alabama.

More About ELIZABETH REBECCA SALMONS:
Burial: Dangerfield Texas

Children of MATHIAS WARD and ELIZABETH SALMONS are:
3. i. THOMAS3 WARD, b. Abt. 1790, Augusta, Georgia; d. 28 Dec 1860, Butler, Choctaw, AL.
4. ii. MARGARET WARD, b. Abt. 1792, Georgia; d. 12 Feb 1877, Dallas, Dallas County, TX.
5. iii. MARTIN WARD, b. 17 Nov 1794, Wilkes County Georgia; d. 11 Mar 1865, Walker County Alabama.
6. iv. JOHN C. WARD, b. 23 Oct 1796, Augusta, Georgia; d. Nov 1855, Cass County, Texas.
7. v. ELEANOR WARD, b. Bet. 1798 - 1800, Georgia; d. Bef. 1830.
8. vi. WILLIAM MD WARD, b. 1803, Elbert Co. Georgia; d. 18 Feb 1863, Jordan Saline Van Zandt County Texas.
9. vii. MARY WARD, b. Abt. 1807, Georgia.
10. viii. CATHERINE WARD, b. 1809, Talladega, Alabama; d. Abt. 1871.
ix. MATTHIAS JR WARD2, b. 13 Oct 1805, Elbert County GA; d. 05 Oct 1861, Warm Springs, NC; m. ELIZABETH L. SANDERS, 25 May 1836, Shelby County TN; b. Tennessee.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PRYOR 4 May 1999 8:55AM GMT 
Rosie1st1 7 Oct 1999 8:32PM GMT 
PatSulzer66 20 Feb 2001 10:46AM GMT 
hdscooter52 6 Aug 2003 3:13AM GMT 
cmward71 10 Dec 2009 2:09PM GMT 
hdscooter52 10 Dec 2009 2:21PM GMT 
cmward71 10 Dec 2009 2:35PM GMT 
lukeandnadine2008 29 Mar 2010 12:54PM GMT 
corraward71 29 Mar 2010 1:22PM GMT 
phelpsward 13 Feb 2011 9:24PM GMT 
per page