Search for content in message boards

Kean and Pierce - Rowena, Russell, KY

Replies: 1

Kean and Pierce - Rowena, Russell, KY

Dawn_Schmidt (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2008 10:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
I pulled this information from the pension file (National Archives, Washington, D.C.) of James Pierce, Rowena, Russell, KY who married Elizabeth "Betsy" Ann Kean, daughter of James Harvey Kean and Susan Prather.

Civil War
James Pierce, Private, G 3 KY INF, A & B1 KY CAV
Minor: Parthena Haynes
Minor Application # 1161178 , Certificate # 935081
Filed: 26 Jul 1920
Enlisted in Co G 3 at Camp Dick Robinson, Louisville, KY on 16 Aug 1861

Notes and tid bits of information extracted from various places in the pension file:

James Pierce married Elizabeth ("Betsy") Ann Kean on 6 Dec 1868

They had one child, Parthenia, born 10 Mar 1868. According to statements of family members, Elizabeth, died just a few weeks after giving birth to their only child Parthenia. One family member (sister of Elizabeth or the Aunt of Elizabeth...I did not write down which one) mentioned that she never quite recovered from the birth of Parthenia. It is noted that she died on the 23 Mar 1868, and is buried near the residence of her brother-in-law, John Pierce in Rowena, Russell Co, Kentucky, which is not far from where James grew up.

After her death, Parthenia, was raised by her mother's sister and family near Rowena, Russell Co, KY (Mary Jane and Samuel Long). The widower, James, lived with his father until his own death in 1875. Parthenia stated that she was about 7 years old when her father died, and was not able to go to the burial due to the river being up. He was talking and laughing according to some family members, then slumped over and died while sitting up in the chair. He reportedly died of Pulmonary Tuberculosis and had a sudden hemorrhage of the lungs.

Some of the witnesses or individuals giving statements in the pension file are:

Manerva Alice McWhorten - daughter of Elizabeth (Betsy's) sister Mary Jane Long, Sewellton, KY
Louisa Murray - sister of Elizabeth (Betsy), wife of Robert (Bob) Murray, Russell Co, KY
John Pierce - brother of James Pierce, Rowena, Russell Co, KY
Narcissa Ballenger - sister of James Pierce, wife of Frank Ballenger, Sewellton, KY
Hector O McKinley
Daniel Ballenger
Joe Carnes - distant cousin to James Pierce, served with him
Jane V Dudley
Reuben P Haynes - Husband of Parthenia (Pierce) Haynes

*Other Notes:

Parthenia states that her Father's father was William Pierce and her Father's Mother a McClure. In correspondence dated May 2, 1923, she also mentions that her father James has one sister and one half brother living. Parthenia stayed with her aunt Mary Jane Long until the aunt died on 20 Jun 1916. She was married to Rueben Haynes near the Cross Roads, Russell Co, KY by Rev. James Sullivan 10 Jul 1919.

It also mentions her mother's parents, James Harvey Kean & Susan Prather.

Joe Carnes judged James Pierce not to be more than 5' 10" and 17 or 18 years old at the time of enlistment into the military. He said he was of fair complexion, had blue eyes, and light hair.

A stepmother Polly Ann Pierce and brother Aaron Pierce are also mentioned in the pension file, and I believe if my memory serves me correctly, they were there when James died, but would have to revert back to the file to be certain of this. I assume this is the one half brother Parthenia mentioned in her correspondence to the Pension office.

The family bible of Elizabeth's sister Mary Jane Long is also cited with some of the following information:

Julian Long born 5 Aug 1867
Parthenia Pierce born 10 Mar 1868
Manervy Alice born 6 May 1869
James Pierce 2 Feb 1875

*Just a note...I copied the notes down quite quickly as I was limited on time so the information here is just a quick summary and bits of information pulled from several different locations in the file....the pension file consisted of pages and pages of affidavits and witnesses, etc., from different family members, including Kean family members. This was, by far, the most impressive file I came across on my trip.

I hope it proves useful to someone on this board.

God Bless.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dawn_Schmidt 20 Jul 2008 4:23PM GMT 
jimmy kean 20 Jul 2008 6:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions