Search for content in message boards

Edward Clingan from Tennessee to Arkansas

Replies: 1

Edward Clingan from Tennessee to Arkansas

jasonwilliams751 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2010 7:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clingan
I was hoping someone could shed some light on a mystery I have. In Clark County, Arkansas in 1850 there are 2 Edward Clingan's. What makes it confusing is they actually put "JR" and "SR" by their names on some census years. The 2 Edwards are very close in age although Edward "JR" changes his birth year on every census they are not more than 3 or 4 years apart in age. I know that I have see some people talk about Edward Clingan that was the son of George Washington Clingan and Jannet Kincade. There is the Edward Clingan that lists hiself as "SR" that has Jannet living with him in 1850 at the age of 72 but a few households over there is another Edward Clingan "JR" who has a wife Nancy and his children. This "JR" Edward Clingan is my ancestor. My question is does anyone know how the other Edward Clingan ties into the Clingan line. He seems to fly under the radar I have seen a lot of people on ancestry that have trees that have these 2 Edwards combined as 1 person. I have traced them back and "SR" is in Bradford County, TN in 1840 with Jannet, it has her as "Jane" living next door to him. Edward "JR" is living in Rhea County, Tennesee in 1840.

There is a tombstone in Clark County, Arkansas that has Edward Clingan 1808-1881 I have not found a tombstone for the other but there is a small obituary in the local paper in May of 1896 that says "Ed Clingan known as 'Big Ed' has died at the age of 90" I'm not even sure if anyone can say positively which one died when.

Anyone have any incite into the 2 Edward Clingan's? I have traced both of them after 1840 and know where their children went. I just have not found my Edward Clingan talked about anywhere. I know he has to be related to the other Edward I just don't know if they are cousins or what.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jasonwilliams751 7 Sep 2010 1:32PM GMT 
walthallcharles 10 Feb 2011 3:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions