Search for content in message boards

Samuel Moore ca 1814, Scott Co. VA -Ky

Samuel Moore ca 1814, Scott Co. VA -Ky

Eve (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore
I am still looking for information on "Samuel Moore" family ca 1814, from Scott Co. Va.
He raised his family on Wolfcreek and I need info. on his children: Mary, Nancy, Seliah, Elizabeth, and Louisa Moore.
Samuel was married twice. First to Thursa Hardin in 1837 and second to Mary Maynard 1860?. He fathered at least 17 children.
I am with the M.C. Historical Society and would like to add his family to our records. Our mailing address: M.C. Historical Society, P.O. Box 501, Inez, KY 41224 and my e-mail address: ( redtaurus50@hotmail.com)
You can become a member of this society by sending your membership dues of $15.00 annually from 1-1-to 12-31 of each year. This goes for the cost of our quarterly newsletters. At the same Postoffice address,you may reserve the Martin County Pictorial Book for $49.95 plus $6.00 postage, if needed. It will be off the press this summer. It is a limited edition and will not be reprinted.
Thanks, Eve

Samuel Moore

Debbie Cassady (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Moore, Cassady
Eve,
My husband is also a descendant of Samuel Moore. We are descended through his daughter Tamsey and her husband William Cassady. I would be glad to share the information that I have about our branch of the family. My e-mail address is dcassady@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Debbie Cassady

Moore family

Eve Cassady (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Thanks Debbie:
For your post. Yes, we would appreciate any info. you care to share with the historical society about the Moore family or any other family from Martin County.

Our membership to this society is $15.00 annually, and you recieve 4 quarterly newsletters annually. We are in the process of publishing a M.C. Pictorial Book, too. its cost is $49.95 plus postage where needed.

Our address is P.O. Box 501, Inez, KY 41224.

My e-mail address: (redtaurus50@hotmail.com)

Thanks again. Eve

Re: Samuel Moore

Pamela (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2001 9:38PM GMT
I would like to get any info you have on that too...I am also going to enclose what I have in a preliminary rough draft of biblical records and talking to some on my side of the family through Mary Maynard's children...I still have a wealth of info readily available at picking up the phone...I'm just starting so here is what I have so far...

Descendants of Samuel Moore

Generation No. 1

1. SAMUEL1 MOORE was born 1814 in Scott Co., Virginia?. He married (1) THURSA HARDIN 1837 in Lawrence County, KY. She was born in Lawrence County, KY?. He married (2) MARY MAYNARD Abt. 1860. She was born in Martin County, KY?.

Children of SAMUEL MOORE and THURSA HARDIN are:
i. TAMSEY JANE2 MOORE, b. 1835; m. WILLIAM CASSADY.
ii. MARY MOORE, b. 1841.
iii. NANCY MOORE, b. 1843.
iv. SELIAH MOORE, b. 1845.
v. ELIZABETH MOORE, b. 1847.
vi. LOUISA MOORE, b. 1851.
vii. SAMUEL JR. MOORE, b. 1854.
2. viii. WINNIE MOORE, b. 1857.
ix. WILLIAM J. MOORE, b. 1859; m. LUCY L. MAYNARD, February 22, 1880.

Children of SAMUEL MOORE and MARY MAYNARD are:
3. x. ALBERT HENRY2 MOORE, b. McClure, Martin County, KY; d. October 06, 1957, Martin County, KY.
xi. JAMES H. MOORE, b. 1861; m. PALLEY A. MAYNARD, November 07, 1880.
xii. ARMINTA MOORE, b. 1865; m. TOLBERT FARLEY, January 02, 1882.
xiii. ABRAHAM LINDEN MOORE, b. 1867; m. REBECCA BLACKBURN, June 07, 1888.

More About REBECCA BLACKBURN:
Namesake: Grandmother of Hatfields and McCoys

xiv. WILSON AND GRANT (ULYSSES GRANT?) MOORE, b. 1870.
xv. JOHN MOORE, b. 1873.
xvi. SAMPSON MOORE, b. 1876.
xvii. SARAH ALICE MOORE, b. November 03, 1878.

Generation No. 2

2. WINNIE2 MOORE (SAMUEL1) was born 1857. She married HARVEY PREECE October 09, 1874, son of WILLIAM PREECE and TABITA MAYNARD.

Child of WINNIE MOORE and HARVEY PREECE is:
4. i. BIETHA3 PREECE.

3. ALBERT HENRY2 MOORE (SAMUEL1) was born in McClure, Martin County, KY, and died October 06, 1957 in Martin County, KY. He married (1) MYRTLE MAE SMITH, daughter of MONT SMITH and JUNIE MCCOY. She was born July 19, 1900 in Pike County, KY, and died May 10, 1958. He married (2) ANGELINE SMITH.

More About ALBERT HENRY MOORE:
Burial: Wolf Creek, Moore Cemetary, KY

More About MYRTLE MAE SMITH:

Children of ALBERT MOORE and MYRTLE SMITH are:
5. i. BILLY GENE3 MOORE, b. November 06, 1934, Martin County, KY; d. May 30, 1992, Louisville, KY.
6. ii. MASON MOORE, d. March 13, 1962.
7. iii. ALICE MOORE, d. November 26, 1982.
8. iv. CASSIUS MOORE, d. January 05, 1993, Wolf Creek, KY.
v. ALBERT MOORE, JR., d. September 03, 1996, Sharples, W. Va.; m. ESCALINE.
vi. GRETAS MARIE MOORE, m. (1) RICHARD WHALEN; m. (2) DONALD CAMERON.
vii. SARAH MOORE.
viii. THOMAS JEFFERSON MOORE.
9. ix. LILA MOORE.

Children of ALBERT MOORE and ANGELINE SMITH are:
x. SAMUEL3 MOORE.
xi. HERBERT MOORE, d. September 09, 1969; m. VINA UNKNOWN; d. March 11, 1986.
xii. TAFT MOORE, d. December 05, 1978; m. EMMA UNKNOWN; d. November 27, 1978.
xiii. ELSIE MOORE.
xiv. BELLA ANN MOORE.
xv. OSCAR MOORE, d. April 03, 1995; m. CARMEL UNKNOWN; d. December 03, 1995.

Generation No. 3

4. BIETHA3 PREECE (WINNIE2 MOORE, SAMUEL1) She married BEN HOWARD, son of MOSE(S) HOWARD and MARY NEWSOME. He was born December 01, 1892, and died January 03, 1961.

Child of BIETHA PREECE and BEN HOWARD is:
10. i. JAMES "MAJOR"4 PREECE, b. Martin County, KY.

5. BILLY GENE3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) was born November 06, 1934 in Martin County, KY, and died May 30, 1992 in Louisville, KY. He married ESSIE JANE PREECE July 06, 1954 in Switzer, W. Va-Denver Steven's house, daughter of JAMES PREECE and MARY BRANHAM. She was born November 07, 1934 in Martin County, KY.

Notes for BILLY GENE MOORE:
He was a member of AA and helped many people throughout his life get into the program. He was a chosen speaker for the Worldwide AA Conference and a Kentucky State Delegate for the program in 1981-1983. He took his family along to New York City for the Conferences. He was well known in the community and the US for the program. He was named an Honorary Kentucky State Colonel for his work with the program as well.

More About BILLY GENE MOORE:
Burial: Moore Cemetary, Wolf Creek, KY
Cause of Death: Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and heart failure
Education: Bet. 1989 - 1990, Received GED
Medical Information: Billy had five heart attacks prior to his death. The first one was at age 35. The primary cause of his death was Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. He was on a waiting list for lung/heart transplant.

Children of BILLY MOORE and ESSIE PREECE are:
i. PAMELA ANN4 MOORE, b. March 30, 1971, Parma, Ohio; m. LYNDON RANDALL COX, June 12, 1999; b. January 30, 1964, Hamlin, Texas.
11. ii. PATRICIA ANN MOORE, b. June 10, 1955, Cleveland, Ohio.
12. iii. RONALD DEAN MOORE, b. August 05, 1956.
iv. JAMES DEAN MOORE, b. March 07, 1967; d. March 16, 1967.

Notes for JAMES DEAN MOORE:
James Dean had cystic fibrosis...died 9 days after birth...buried in a cemetary on Ridge Road in Parma, Cleveland, Ohio initially. Upon Billy Gene Moore's request (father) before his death in 1992, James Dean's body was removed from Cleveland and moved to the Moore Cemetary in Wolf Creek, KY where the family is to be buried.

More About JAMES DEAN MOORE:
Burial: 1992, Moore Cemetary, Wolf Creek, KY

6. MASON3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) died March 13, 1962. He married DELLA MAE (BIAS?).

Children of MASON MOORE and DELLA (BIAS?) are:
i. BILLY GENE4 MOORE.
ii. JAMES HERMAN MOORE.

7. ALICE3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) died November 26, 1982. She married UNKNOWN LAINEY.

Children of ALICE MOORE and UNKNOWN LAINEY are:
13. i. LARRY4 LAINEY.
ii. GARY LAINEY.

8. CASSIUS3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) died January 05, 1993 in Wolf Creek, KY. He married BERTINA UNKNOWN.

More About CASSIUS MOORE:

Children of CASSIUS MOORE and BERTINA UNKNOWN are:
i. DONNY4 MOORE.
ii. DENNY MOORE.
14. iii. KATHY MOORE.

9. LILA3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) She married MARVIN ADAMS.

Children of LILA MOORE and MARVIN ADAMS are:
i. TODD4 ADAMS, m. BETH UNKNOWN.
ii. TIMOTHY ADAMS.
iii. THERESA ADAMS.

Generation No. 4

10. JAMES "MAJOR"4 PREECE (BIETHA3, WINNIE2 MOORE, SAMUEL1) was born in Martin County, KY. He married (1) MARY ALICE BRANHAM, daughter of JESSIE BRANHAM and ESSIE WARD. He married (2) JUNE.

Child of JAMES PREECE and MARY BRANHAM is:
i. ESSIE JANE5 PREECE, b. November 07, 1934, Martin County, KY; m. BILLY GENE MOORE, July 06, 1954, Switzer, W. Va-Denver Steven's house; b. November 06, 1934, Martin County, KY; d. May 30, 1992, Louisville, KY.

He was a member of AA and helped many people throughout his life get into the program. He was a chosen speaker for the Worldwide AA Conference and a Kentucky State Delegate for the program in 1981-1983. He took his family along to New York City for the Conferences. He was well known in the community and the US for the program. He was named an Honorary Kentucky State Colonel for his work with the program as well.

Medical Information: Billy had five heart attacks prior to his death. The first one was at age 35. The primary cause of his death was Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. He was on a waiting list for lung/heart transplant.

11. PATRICIA ANN4 MOORE (BILLY GENE3, ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) was born June 10, 1955 in Cleveland, Ohio. She married (1) ROBERT BRADY, SR.. She married (2) WOODROW BURTON, son of JAMES BURTON.

Children of PATRICIA MOORE and ROBERT BRADY are:
i. TANYA MARIE5 BRADY, m. JOE SIBERT, September 1999, Cleveland, Ohio.
ii. CHRISTINA ANN BRADY, m. ROY COFFEY.
iii. ROBERT BRADY, JR..
iv. BOBBI JO BRADY.

12. RONALD DEAN4 MOORE (BILLY GENE3, ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) was born August 05, 1956. He married ADRIENNE in Cleveland, Ohio.

Children of RONALD MOORE and ADRIENNE are:
i. JOSHUA5 MOORE.
ii. JACOB MOORE.

13. LARRY4 LAINEY (ALICE3 MOORE, ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) He married KATHY.

Children of LARRY LAINEY and KATHY are:
i. CHRISTINA5 LAINEY.
ii. BILLY LAINEY.

14. KATHY4 MOORE (CASSIUS3, ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) She married TROY GULLET.

Child of KATHY MOORE and TROY GULLET is:
i. TROY5 GULLET, JR..

Pamela (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2001 9:40PM GMT
I would like to get any info you have on that too...I am also going to enclose what I have in a preliminary rough draft of biblical records and talking to some on my side of the family through Mary Maynard's children...I still have a wealth of info readily available at picking up the phone...I'm just starting so here is what I have so far...

Descendants of Samuel Moore

Generation No. 1

1. SAMUEL1 MOORE was born 1814 in Scott Co., Virginia?. He married (1) THURSA HARDIN 1837 in Lawrence County, KY. She was born in Lawrence County, KY?. He married (2) MARY MAYNARD Abt. 1860. She was born in Martin County, KY?.

Children of SAMUEL MOORE and THURSA HARDIN are:
i. TAMSEY JANE2 MOORE, b. 1835; m. WILLIAM CASSADY.
ii. MARY MOORE, b. 1841.
iii. NANCY MOORE, b. 1843.
iv. SELIAH MOORE, b. 1845.
v. ELIZABETH MOORE, b. 1847.
vi. LOUISA MOORE, b. 1851.
vii. SAMUEL JR. MOORE, b. 1854.
2. viii. WINNIE MOORE, b. 1857.
ix. WILLIAM J. MOORE, b. 1859; m. LUCY L. MAYNARD, February 22, 1880.

Children of SAMUEL MOORE and MARY MAYNARD are:
3. x. ALBERT HENRY2 MOORE, b. McClure, Martin County, KY; d. October 06, 1957, Martin County, KY.
xi. JAMES H. MOORE, b. 1861; m. PALLEY A. MAYNARD, November 07, 1880.
xii. ARMINTA MOORE, b. 1865; m. TOLBERT FARLEY, January 02, 1882.
xiii. ABRAHAM LINDEN MOORE, b. 1867; m. REBECCA BLACKBURN, June 07, 1888.

More About REBECCA BLACKBURN:
Namesake: Grandmother of Hatfields and McCoys

xiv. WILSON AND GRANT (ULYSSES GRANT?) MOORE, b. 1870.
xv. JOHN MOORE, b. 1873.
xvi. SAMPSON MOORE, b. 1876.
xvii. SARAH ALICE MOORE, b. November 03, 1878.

Generation No. 2

2. WINNIE2 MOORE (SAMUEL1) was born 1857. She married HARVEY PREECE October 09, 1874, son of WILLIAM PREECE and TABITA MAYNARD.

Child of WINNIE MOORE and HARVEY PREECE is:
4. i. BIETHA3 PREECE.

3. ALBERT HENRY2 MOORE (SAMUEL1) was born in McClure, Martin County, KY, and died October 06, 1957 in Martin County, KY. He married (1) MYRTLE MAE SMITH, daughter of MONT SMITH and JUNIE MCCOY. She was born July 19, 1900 in Pike County, KY, and died May 10, 1958. He married (2) ANGELINE SMITH.

More About ALBERT HENRY MOORE:

More About MYRTLE MAE SMITH:

Children of ALBERT MOORE and MYRTLE SMITH are:
5. i. BILLY GENE3 MOORE, b. November 06, 1934, Martin County, KY; d. May 30, 1992, Louisville, KY.
6. ii. MASON MOORE, d. March 13, 1962.
7. iii. ALICE MOORE, d. November 26, 1982.
8. iv. CASSIUS MOORE, d. January 05, 1993, Wolf Creek, KY.
v. ALBERT MOORE, JR., d. September 03, 1996, Sharples, W. Va.; m. ESCALINE.
vi. GRETAS MARIE MOORE, m. (1) RICHARD WHALEN; m. (2) DONALD CAMERON.
vii. SARAH MOORE.
viii. THOMAS JEFFERSON MOORE.
9. ix. LILA MOORE.

Children of ALBERT MOORE and ANGELINE SMITH are:
x. SAMUEL3 MOORE.
xi. HERBERT MOORE, d. September 09, 1969; m. VINA UNKNOWN; d. March 11, 1986.
xii. TAFT MOORE, d. December 05, 1978; m. EMMA UNKNOWN; d. November 27, 1978.
xiii. ELSIE MOORE.
xiv. BELLA ANN MOORE.
xv. OSCAR MOORE, d. April 03, 1995; m. CARMEL UNKNOWN; d. December 03, 1995.

Generation No. 3

4. BIETHA3 PREECE (WINNIE2 MOORE, SAMUEL1) She married BEN HOWARD, son of MOSE(S) HOWARD and MARY NEWSOME. He was born December 01, 1892, and died January 03, 1961.

Child of BIETHA PREECE and BEN HOWARD is:
10. i. JAMES "MAJOR"4 PREECE, b. Martin County, KY.

5. BILLY GENE3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) was born November 06, 1934 in Martin County, KY, and died May 30, 1992 in Louisville, KY. He married ESSIE JANE PREECE July 06, 1954 in Switzer, W. Va-Denver Steven's house, daughter of JAMES PREECE and MARY BRANHAM. She was born November 07, 1934 in Martin County, KY.

Children of BILLY MOORE and ESSIE PREECE are:
i. PAMELA ANN4 MOORE, b. March 30, 1971, Parma, Ohio; m. LYNDON RANDALL COX, June 12, 1999; b. January 30, 1964, Hamlin, Texas.
11. ii. PATRICIA ANN MOORE, b. June 10, 1955, Cleveland, Ohio.
12. iii. RONALD DEAN MOORE, b. August 05, 1956.
iv. JAMES DEAN MOORE, b. March 07, 1967; d. March 16, 1967.

Notes for JAMES DEAN MOORE:
James Dean had cystic fibrosis...died 9 days after birth...buried in a cemetary on Ridge Road in Parma, Cleveland, Ohio initially. Upon Billy Gene Moore's request (father) before his death in 1992, James Dean's body was removed from Cleveland and moved to the Moore Cemetary in Wolf Creek, KY where the family is to be buried.

More About JAMES DEAN MOORE:
Burial: 1992, Moore Cemetary, Wolf Creek, KY

6. MASON3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) died March 13, 1962. He married DELLA MAE (BIAS?).

Children of MASON MOORE and DELLA (BIAS?) are:
i. BILLY GENE4 MOORE.
ii. JAMES HERMAN MOORE.

7. ALICE3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) died November 26, 1982. She married UNKNOWN LAINEY.

Children of ALICE MOORE and UNKNOWN LAINEY are:
13. i. LARRY4 LAINEY.
ii. GARY LAINEY.

8. CASSIUS3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) died January 05, 1993 in Wolf Creek, KY. He married BERTINA UNKNOWN.

More About CASSIUS MOORE:

Children of CASSIUS MOORE and BERTINA UNKNOWN are:
i. DONNY4 MOORE.
ii. DENNY MOORE.
14. iii. KATHY MOORE.

9. LILA3 MOORE (ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) She married MARVIN ADAMS.

Children of LILA MOORE and MARVIN ADAMS are:
i. TODD4 ADAMS, m. BETH UNKNOWN.
ii. TIMOTHY ADAMS.
iii. THERESA ADAMS.

Generation No. 4

10. JAMES "MAJOR"4 PREECE (BIETHA3, WINNIE2 MOORE, SAMUEL1) was born in Martin County, KY. He married (1) MARY ALICE BRANHAM, daughter of JESSIE BRANHAM and ESSIE WARD. He married (2) JUNE.

Child of JAMES PREECE and MARY BRANHAM is:
i. ESSIE JANE5 PREECE, b. November 07, 1934, Martin County, KY; m. BILLY GENE MOORE, July 06, 1954, Switzer, W. Va-Denver Steven's house; b. November 06, 1934, Martin County, KY; d. May 30, 1992, Louisville, KY.

11. PATRICIA ANN4 MOORE (BILLY GENE3, ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) was born June 10, 1955 in Cleveland, Ohio. She married (1) ROBERT BRADY, SR.. She married (2) WOODROW BURTON, son of JAMES BURTON.

Children of PATRICIA MOORE and ROBERT BRADY are:
i. TANYA MARIE5 BRADY, m. JOE SIBERT, September 1999, Cleveland, Ohio.
ii. CHRISTINA ANN BRADY, m. ROY COFFEY.
iii. ROBERT BRADY, JR..
iv. BOBBI JO BRADY.

12. RONALD DEAN4 MOORE (BILLY GENE3, ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) was born August 05, 1956. He married ADRIENNE in Cleveland, Ohio.

Children of RONALD MOORE and ADRIENNE are:
i. JOSHUA5 MOORE.
ii. JACOB MOORE.

13. LARRY4 LAINEY (ALICE3 MOORE, ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) He married KATHY.

Children of LARRY LAINEY and KATHY are:
i. CHRISTINA5 LAINEY.
ii. BILLY LAINEY.

14. KATHY4 MOORE (CASSIUS3, ALBERT HENRY2, SAMUEL1) She married TROY GULLET.

Child of KATHY MOORE and TROY GULLET is:
i. TROY5 GULLET, JR..

Eve Cassady (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2001 10:20PM GMT
Thanks Debbie...
For the information you sent to me 8-4-01. I printed it off and will add it to what I have, hoping to get enough to publish in a future quarterly of the Martin County Historical Society. Be watching for more. I still do not have any thing on Mary, Nancy, Seliah, Elizabeth, and Louisa. Again, thanks. Eve

Re: Samuel Moore ca 1814, Scott Co. VA -Ky

SUTTERHAGERMAN (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2002 6:12AM GMT
Surnames: HARDIN, HAGERMAN, HARLESS, CLINE
EVE, I AM DOING THE HARDIN, HAGERMAN, HARLESS, AND CLINE FROM THE MARTIN COUNTY AREA. IS THERE ANYBOOKS LEFT FOR SALE? MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR FROM LIVER CANCER AT THE AGE OF 48. WE HAVE AN EIGHT YEAR OLD BOY, THAT I AM TRYING MY BEST TO GET AS MUCH FAMILY HISTORY FOR HIM. ANY INFORMATION WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. I AM GOING TO TRY AND COME DOWN THERE SOMETIME SOON, I HOPE, AND DO SOME DEEP SEARCHING. THANKS AND GOD BLESS.
RUTH ANN HAGERMAN

sphericalbastards1 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2003 11:29PM GMT
Pamela , I did a search on some of the names and they don't correspond with what you have , especially in census information. For instance Tamsey/Tamsie ...I can't find a record of her accept as the daughter of Mclelland in a 1930 census and she was 3... Clell was the son of Grant Moore, who my dad says was as best as he knew not called Ulysses. My dad is Dewey Moore , son of Floyd Moore & Thelma Stepp , son of Grant Moore . In fact I can't find a thursy or thursa or any combo that married a Samuel Moore. I even paid to have that part looked up . I can't find a seliah(more than not it is a name of colored) or celiah or any combo belonging to Samuel either. Or Lousia ,Abraham,Arminta ( America ?) I can verify the rest of his kids that are listed as being from Mary , just not mary herself ..They are listed in census as samuel moore being their father . Is that straight from a family bible? I have one being sent to me froma family member on the moore side . I am hopeful it will clear things up .

Rebecca (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2006 10:03AM GMT
I am a Blackburn my grandparents were Dewey and Rebecca Jane Blackburn. My father is Hiawatha Blackburn I am related to Sampson Moore my grandmother was Rebecca Jane Moore Blacburn

curblackburn (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2006 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: blackburn,maynard, preece
I would be very interested in the family of Hiawatha Blackburn. I am researching all the Blackburns of Martin Co Ky and up to now I had nothing on Hiawatha.
Can you help? Send your answer directly to me if possible.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions