Search for content in message boards

Bray Family - Gordon County

Bray Family - Gordon County

PatsyJohnson (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2001 2:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bray, Herrin
I am searching for information on Jesse Washington Bray b. 1878-1881, married Maebell Herring b. 1892. They were married 5-20-1916, I believe they were married in Gordon County. Jesse died in 1956 and Maebell in 1958. Both are buried at Sugar Valley Baptist Church Cemetary. His father might have been Andrew W. Bray b. abt. 1840, married to Rebecca b. abt 1841. He and Maebell had the following children: Loyd John Franklin b. ?, Lawrence Andrew b. 1920, Martha Elizabeth b. 1922, Paul James b. 1925, Lunie Leola b. 1927,Janie b. 1929, Rosa Lee b. 1931, and Julian Maxie b. 1934. Jesse might have been married before Maebell. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who recognizes these names.

Re: Bray Family - Gordon County

S. David Smith (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2001 5:16AM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2004 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: Bray, Smith
Your Jesse W. Bray is the son of Andrew Washington Bray and Rebecca E. Barber. Andrew is buried in Sugar Valley Baptist Cemetery in Gordon Co, GA.

Andrew and Rebecca Bray
1837 -1886

Andrew was born in Cobb Co Ga on April 11, 1837 and he died Nov 27th, 1886 in Gordon Co. GA. He is buried in the Sugar Valley Baptist Church Cemetery in Gordon, County Ga [Near Calhoon, GA]. Andrew was in the Confederate Army in St. Clair Co, AL.

In 1840, in Cobb Co Ga census page 258 Stogner Bray is listed [age 20-30], one son is listed being 0-5 years old. One female was listed [age 15-20]. They were living beside Michael Austin and Mrs. Zelphia Bray [age 60-70]. I have no idea where that Zelphia Bray fits into the scheme, but she has to be a relative.

In the 1850 census of Cobb County, "Stagnor" Bray [age 30, Male born TN] is listed along with his wife Mary [age 30], and children Andrew 12, Minto, 10 [female], William 8, John , 5, and Michael 2.

In the Paulding County Marriage Book [1834 -1906] page 6, the following is listed:

"Bray, A. W. to R. E. Barber 2/8/1857"

In 1860, the crew is found in St Clair Alabama [Ashville, AL Area]. Andrew Bray is listed living beside his father Stognor Bray and his new wife Nancy. Here is what I have.

The 1860 census of St Clair Co Al Ashville District, page 16.

Andrew Bray....22 male born GA
----Rebecca....22 white female, born GA
----Margarat...2 Female, born AL
----infant.....1/12 born Al

Living directly beside him is his father Stagnor.
Stognor Bray.....45. M.. Tenn.
----Nancy........42.F....GA
----Arminda[?]...18.F....GA
----William......16.M....GA
----Mary.........14.F....GA
----Jackson......11.M....GA
----Anderson......9.M....GA
----Solomon.......4.M....ALABAMA
----Mariah........2.F....ALABAMA

Stognor and Andrew both enlisted in the Civil War in Ashville AL. They enlisted in different units. They served their terms and then they enlisted again in different units.

In the 1870 Census of Flyod Co GA the Stognor Bray and Andrew Bray families are listed on page 216.

Bray, Stognor...53.Male.White..Farmer..$700...Tenn
------Nancy........47.F.W..GA
------Amerida......24.F.W..GA
------Mary M.......21.F.W..GA
------Anderson G...16.M.W..GA
------Solomon G....13.M.W..GA
------Martha N......8.F.W..GA

Bray William M...23.MAle.White..Farmer..$100...GA
-----Hilda.........22.F. W.
-----Nancy M.......11/12 F.W.

Bray, Andrew W.....27.Male.White..Farmer..$200...GA
-----Rebecca E.....27.Female.White.GA
-----Margaret W....12.F.W....GA [incorect-She was
born in Alabama]
-----Nancy C.......10.F.W
-----Mary E........5.F.W.
-----William J.....3.M.W.GA

In the 1880 Census of Gordon Co, GA we have the following;
Bray, Andrew W.- age 40 born in GA
------ Rebecca E.- age 41 born in GA
------ Nancy K.- age 18 -born in ALA
------ Mary E. -age 15 -born in ALA
----- William J - age 11 -born in GA
----- Samantha A -age 9 -born in GA
----- Martha L -age 7 -born in GA
----- Sarah S. E. -age 5 -born in GA
------ Jesse W. -age 2 -born in GA

In The 1880 Gordon Co. GA Census, Margaret Bray age 20, Born Alabama is listed. In March 13, 1881 she married James M. Smith [born Oct 29, 1855 in Hill City GA and died July 12, 1930 in Cohutta, Whitefiled Co, GA]. He is buried at HillCity Baptist Church, Gordon County GA.

Margaret Bray died in Cohutta, GA on March 13, 1932. She too is buried in HillCity GA. Margaret Bray died as she was putting Kerosene in a Kerosene heater. The gasoline can blew up in her hand and she burned to death. She died on the cene according to my grandfather. He was about 13 when she died.

Rebecca Bray was illerate. In 1900 and thru 1926 she received civil war widow's penson. She had to fill out a a lot of papers that told out their where she was born [Cobb Co, GA] and where her husband served. Rebecca Bray died in Chatooga county around January 14, 1926. It cost $191 to bury her. $135 was for the casket. The US gov paid for it all. [She was a Civil War widow]. She was living with one of her sons at the time according to the files that were filled out to bury her. He was near Summerville GA. I do not know exactly where she is buried in Chattooga County, GA, but that is where she is buried according to the official government papers.

In order to receive Civil war veteran widow's pension, she had to prove that she was married to Andrew Washington Bray. Three people filled out affidavits saying they knew Andrew and Rebecca Bray.

James M. Smith filled out one. He was living in Gordon Co, GA where Rebecca was filing the application at that time. Rebecca was a member at Hill City Baptist church as well as James M. Smith and Margaret Bray Smith.

Also a W. L. Austin and a John N. Austin of Paulding County GA also filled out affidavits saying that they knew the couple and that Andrew and Rebecca were legally married. According to that affidavit, Andrew and Rebecca were married by Rev. Wilson Blackstone, minister of the gospel.

Also, a Levi Jestes of St Clair Co, Al near Ashville, Al filled out an affidavit. He had served in the Civil war with Andrew Washington Bray.

Andrew Washington Bray is buried in Sugar Valley Baptist Church's cemetery in Gordon Co, Ga his tombstone reads:

A. W. Bray
Born April 11, 1838 - Died Nov 27, 1886. He enlisted at Ashville Al In Co K of the 18th Regt Al Vols Army of the Confederate States.

He also served in Company A of the Alabama 58th, according to the civil war widow's application that his wife filed in Gordon Co Ga.

Andrew was Discharged the first time in July of 1862.
His discharge papers say the following:

"I certify that the within named ANDREW J BRAY private, of captian John M. Mickle's company [H??] of the 18th regiment of ALABAMA VOLUNTEERS, born COBB COUNTY in the state of GEORGIA age twenty two years, five feet six inches high, fair complexion, GRAY eyes, black hair, and by profession a famrmer was enlisted by CAPT. LEVI LLOYD at ASHVILLE ALABAMA on the first day of March eighteeen and SIXTY-TWO to serve one year, and is now enlisted to a discharge by reason of disability.

Given in duplicate at TUPELO, MISS this forth day of July, 1862

Signed: John M. Mickle, Captain commanding Company."
--

S. David Smith
September 25, 2001

PatsyJohnson (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2002 3:25AM GMT
Hey David,
Thanks for the information. Do you know anything about Stognor and where he came from before Tenn? Do you know anything about his brother and sisters? I d' be interested in the same for Andrew W. Jesse Washington (grandson of Stognor) is my grandfather. How are we related? I'd be interested in anything you can tell me. My e-mail is billandpatsy@aol.com.

kimwalraven1 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2011 3:25PM GMT
What do you need to know..My grandfather was Lawrence Andrew Bray son to Jesse. My father was Eulon Andrew Bray.

kimwalraven1 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2011 3:26PM GMT
You can contact me at llhighfield@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions