Search for content in message boards

raymond city

raymond city

melissak86 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2005 11:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: hargraves, withrow,clinton,elswick
i was looking at the 1880 census on hargraves and the census stated they lived in raymond city. a little more searching i came up with a statement stating winfield wv used to be raymond city. than i got a hold of some maps of putnam county and it shows raymond city and winfield. i was told and believed that my hargraves lived in the red hose area of putnam co. if there is a raymond city w.v., can anyone tell me if there any cemeteries there and the names of them . i am looking for the burial place of my great great grandfather james r hargraves, was born abt 1825 in england, married elizabeth withrow. had 7-8 kids. one census has my g.grandfather listed as other instead of son. i wonder if my g.grandfather was james r hargraves real kid or if james r. hargraves just took in my g.grandfather james e. hargraves, whom was born abt.1870 in w.v.
thanks for any and all information.

Re: raymond city

charles_witherup (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2005 8:06PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT SHUE DUNN PRIDDY COBB
RAYMOND CITY IS NEAR BANCROFT WVA AND THERE IS A CEMETRY IN BANCROFT. THE NAME OF IT IS SHOWENS HILL AND THERE ARE SOME WITHROWS BURIED THERE. I DON'T REMEMBER IF THERE WERE ANY HARGROVES BUT COULD BE. FRANCES

rogerdunavant (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2007 5:06AM GMT
I have a photo of my relatives' (William Wolfe) family marker. On the back my great-grandmother wrote "Raymond City Cemetery, WV"). I could not find it listed under cemeteries in Putnam County. A review of all names listed cemetery by cemetery produced their names in the

"Big Cherry Cemetery". You may find the names you are looking for there.

Incidentally, my great-grandmother (Matilda Wolfe) was married to Wyatt Withrow.

melissak86 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2007 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: hargraves, withrow
thank you for the info about big cherry cemetery. do you know if they are online?
my withrow is:elizabeth jane withrow born 1828 in virginia, her parents are:thomas withrow and nancy hughart. i am not able toget my paper file on withrow right now. so i dont know if your withrow is the same withrow as my is. i will try looking for big cherry cemetery. thanks
kay

rogerdunavant (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2007 4:12AM GMT
I went to the "Tombstone Transcription Project" for Putnam County. The link is:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/westvirg/putnam.htm

Since I found my ancestors in a cemetery with a different name than indicated on my photo I can only assume that the cemetery name was changed, the graves were moved to the Big Cherry, or my great-grandmother called it by the wrong name. In either case, it took me hours to scroll down all the names in all the cemeteries listed at the above link. If you know the name of the coal mining town where the cemetery should be located, you might save time by doing a google search on churches in that area, and call them to get the current name of the closest cemetery, then scroll through the names. I did it the hard way, but "live and learn" as they say. I also found out that different web pages will not always include the same cemeteries. Some leave out a few, possibly because they are small family cemeteries on private property. I believe the above link of cemeteries is very thourough. Good luck "cuz" Withrow.

-Roger

idawilliam (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2012 9:57PM GMT
Sometimes the funeral director is listed on the death certificate, as well as the burial. if the burial is not listed, the funeral home may have records. If it is Gatens funeral home in Poca, they have been in business for decades.

melissak86 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2012 8:06PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2012 8:08PM GMT
Do you know if Gatens has a web site? I am also looking for the person(s) whom owns the land that the Coleman/Lovejoy Cemetery is on.Cemetery is about a mile behing the old Sandhill school on Sandhill road off Siman Fork.My third great grandparents are buried there and I think that is where my great grandma is in a unmarked grave.
P.S. I found where James R. Hargraves is buried. Yes in Raymond.

cclark8399 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2012 2:33AM GMT
Gatens website
http://www.hardingfamilygroup.com/cms/

Coleman Cemetery along with many Putnam County cemeteries (includeing Big Cherry) can be found on a link through the Upper Vandalia Historical Society.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vandalia/put...

COLEMAN CEMETERY: Located about 3/4 mile behind old Sandhill School on Sandhill Road off Sigman Fork and
near Liberty, WV. Cataloged by Charles Ray Harper & Ron Roberts Dec 4, 1983.
BAILEY Inis E. d Oct 15, 1908 (Age 1 yr 9 mo 14 dys)
COLEMAN Cecil (S/o L. A. & Myrtle Coleman) b Feb
11, 1912 d Feb 15, 1915
COLEMAN Robert b Nov 1, 1800 d Aug 25, 1912
COLEMAN Frances b Mar 24, 1854 d ----
GOFF Clara A. d May 20, 1894 (Age 1 yr 6 mo 24
dys)
LOVEJOY Mary A. (D/o Albert & Madeline Lovejoy) b
July 16, 1943 d Aug 21, 1952
LOVEJOY David M. b 1889 d 1973
LOVEJOY Darlena L. (W/o David M. Lovejoy) b 1892 d
LOVEJOY Lonnie E. d Mar 20, 1948 (Age 7 dys)
LOVEJOY Delbert b Apr 16, 1908 d Jan 8, 1924
LOVEJOY Jane A. b 1851 d 1928
LOVEJOY Melton A. b 1845 d 1928
LOVEJOY Owen (Name on metal marker no dates)
LOVEJOY Oscar H. b Nov 27, 1878 d Mar 16, 1959
LOVEJOY Mertie b May 12, 1883 d Aug 24, 1936
A lot of graves are marker with crude stones, metal
markers and all unreadable

Bethel3330 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2013 4:31AM GMT
There are even more there now, as my aunt and uncle, both Lovejoys, were buried there in recent years. Not all the gravestones are unreadable but many are.

Bethel3330 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2013 4:36AM GMT
I hope you found what you were looking for by now. I believe it's on Carl or Ray Lovejoy's property. They are brothers and you have to go through their property to get to it. There is a right of way, I believe, but it's kind of remote and like a private road.
Sigman Fork is off of Rt 34 in north Putnam county, in the unincorporated area of Liberty. The road the cemetery is on is about a mile out Sigman Fork on the right.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions