Search for content in message boards

Mayo's from Pitt County, NC

Mayo's from Pitt County, NC

Karol Mayo (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2002 12:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Would like to hear from any Mayo's whose ancestors were from or around Pitt County, NC in the early 1800's. I am looking for information on James Mayo, born c. 1803, married Elizabeth (?). James moved his family to Tipton County, TN around 1845. James is my 'brick wall' made out of reinforced concrete. LOL

Karol Mayo

Re: Mayo's from Pitt County, NC

Rhonda (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2002 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: Mayo Sherrod Coakley Dale
Do you have the names of your James Mayo's children? I found a James Mayo that was born in NC in about 1795 and who moved to Tennessee and died around 1850. His father was John Williams Mayo and his mother was Catherine Sherrod. His married a woman named Sarah Elizabeth Melvina Dale Coakley. I'm not sure if these tie into yours but maybe they are worth looking into as they were Mayos travelling to Tennessee at around the same time as yours.

Rhonda (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2002 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: Mayo Davis
I also found the following:
DEATH NOTICES FROM THE CHRISTIAN ADVOCATE,
NASHVILLE TENNESSEE, 1883-1884,
(of Those Persons Born Up To and Including the Year 1822)
By Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith
JAMES MAYO born Pitt Co., North Carolina, December 16, 1803; moved to Tipton Co., Tenn. 1843; died May 7, 1881.

At LDS records there is a James Mayo that was born about 1804 in Pitt County, North Carolina with a father named "Jolley" Mayo (maybe a nickname?). He is said to have married Rose Davis. If you follow her records back she is recorded as dying in Tennessee. Maybe she could have been a first wife?

Hope these leads help you knock down your brickwall. :)

Karol Mayo (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2002 12:11PM GMT
Rhonda, thanks for your reply. All of James' children (except one) were born in/around Pitt County between 1828 - 1840. They were Napoleon, Penelope, Albert, William Henry and Lucian. They all moved to Tipton County, TN in the late 1840's. There was another child born in 1845 (Laura). I believe she had another mother. I know that James did not die until sometime after 1878.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Karol Mayo

Karol Mayo (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2002 12:21PM GMT
Hi Rhonda, thanks again. I have never seen the information from the Christian Advocate. That is my James.

However, the other James Mayo, born 1804 with father Jolley, have checked into this and I am fairly certain that is another line of Mayo's. It's been a couple of years since I looked at that information, I can't remember off hand what was the reason.

I work on this for awhile and then get mad because I just cannot get past James. Hopefully, one day the wall will come down.

Ken Klamm (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2002 12:53AM GMT
I also found "Jolley Mayo" in my records, born 1777 in Pitt County, NC. I don't have any children listed, but if he had a son named James b 1804 then I would think he would be your James. I can give you Jolley's lineage back about 8 generations to Richard Mayo b 1535 in Dorset, England. Do you remember why you thought this James, son of Jolley, was of a different line?

Karol Mayo (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2002 1:27AM GMT
Surnames: Mayo
Ken, I don't have my paper work in front of me, but I seem to remember having correspondence with someone on a genealogy board that seemed to be able to show the James born in 1804 as her ancestor. If I remember right this James had a son named George or Benjamin and their family moved to another county other then Tipton in Western Tennessee. I feel certain these are distant cousins.

I will have to look through my printouts and find the e-mails, but I felt certain at that time that Jolley was not my James' father.

Thanks for any information that you can give.

Karol Mayo

Alford_Judy (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2009 1:59AM GMT
i would love any info you have on jolley mayo and before him.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions