Search for content in message boards

rogers

rogers

marymoreland142 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2008 5:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rogers, Hensley,Franklin,
i am looking for any help with Rogers..
my grandfathers name was William Ray Rogers,.. he had three children with first wife [Dora Hensley]...Grace Rogers...Stockley Rogers...Verlie Rogers...
He also had a son by another marriage [no name]..William or Billy Rogers....William Rogers was a full blooded Cherokee Indian..I believe he was born on the Cherokee Reservation in 1898 or maybe 1900... I have looked for him for years with no luck can anyone help........please

Re: rogers

xiaorsr (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2008 6:06PM GMT
There were no Cherokee reservations in 1898. The Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma and the Keetowah Indian Nation all descend from those Cherokees who were placed on what is referred to as the "Dawes Rolls" and can be accessed online if you Google for it. The Cherokee nation at Cherokee, North Carolina has a good handle on Cherokee folks east of the Mississippi. If you Google them, they will respond with research hints. Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, located in Tahlequah, OK, will answer queries through their "Registration" office, also available on line.

The "ROGERS" line is normally from the OK Cherokees, and you will find many of them on the Dawes Roll.
Good luck with your research. If you need some checking in Tahlequah, OK, I live there and may be able to assist.

Jim jerx@sbcglobal.net

Re: rogers (cherokee lines)

GaryBurnette (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2008 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Rogers
Hi, can you tell me where you think your Rogers line was? I know there is a Cherokee line of Rogers in Oklahoma that I believe someone else already posted concerning.

But, I have been researching another Rogers family with roots in VA, TN and VA also with native american bloodlines. At least two members of this family attempted to attain Cherokee benefits via filing of a Guion Miller application.

This family was around Sullivan County, TN/Washington County VA through 1860 when they began to scatter -- some to Missouri; another branch to Louisville, KY and still others to Lawrence County, OH. From there, they spread further.

Other earlier branches were in souther central and eastern VA and NC.

Although I recognize "William" isn't exactly rare, it is a common name in these families.

SandraStephens50 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2008 6:59PM GMT
I found him in the 1920 census - Madison Co., NC, Laurel Creek township - listed as Will Rogers, age 21, born NC, race white, occupation farmer, with wife Dora, age 16, b. NC, race white. Living next door to Bob Hensley, age 42, and wife Ruth, age 38 and several children.

Sandra

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 4:47PM GMT
Thank you very much for your kind help..but i am looking for his parents..he is my grandfather and i can't find anything beyond what you seen in the 1920 sensus
thank you
mary

lilfishjean1 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2008 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Rogers, Daniels, Conaway
Hi, Gary...

The only "proof" I have of my Rogers' possible Cherokee bloodline is being told by my grandmother when I was very young that I had "Cherokee blood" and to "always be proud" of it (she died when I was 9).

She was a "Daniel(s)" but her mother was a Rogers (spelled "Roggers" on the records of her marriage in Erath TX). Her son (my father) died when I was 2 and, having practically no contact with his family all of my life (I'm 55), only in the last 7 years or so of research on my own have I learned that no one else in his family knows anything about our great grandmother's Rogers family, either...

The only facts I have about my Rogers greatgrandmother are contradictory:

She is listed in the Erath TX 1900 census (along with my grandmother, so I know it is the right family) as "Martha E. (Rogers) Daniels", bn. 1858 TX with both parents listed as bn. AL, and married to my grgrandfather, Peter L. Daniel(s), bn. 1855 TX; however, in the 1880 Palo Pinto TX census, she is listed (with my grgrandfather Peter) as "Catherine", bn. same year as Erath census but in AL with father bn. AL and mother bn. GA, with 2 sons (James L. & John M. Daniels) in the same household who are not mentioned at all in the Erath census. However, in the Erath census (along with my grandmother, Carrie Leona Daniels and her sisters "Ida P.", aka "Bessie", and "Minnie E.") is listed another son named "William J." ,so, there is some indication of "Williams" in this family as you suggest.

There is also a "Mary Conaway" listed in Palo Pinto in Peter's household as "grandmother", age 70, bn. GA, and, since "Catherine" has listed mother bn. GA, I assume this Mary is Catherine's maternal grandmother or, perhaps, her Rogers (paternal) grandmother who has re-married a "Conaway" at some point.

Subsequent research has discovered that Peter's family came from AL to ARK where they stayed for awhile before moving to TX -- there associated with the "Hagler" family (both in TX & ARK) who are his maternal line.

While I have been able to trace my Daniel(s) line back to early 1800s in AL (and, most likely, to TN/NC/KY before that), I have never, in all these years of research, been able to get further back than "Martha E. Rogers" (or, puzzlingly aka "Catherine [Rogers] Daniels") in my Rogers line.

So, while I have no info at all that puts my Rogers line in the states you mention of TN/VA/TN (Tennessee twice???), I have no info at all that doesn't, either... Also, I know that Peter Daniel(s)' mother, Arminta (aka "Elizabeth") Hagler took her family to Oklahoma sometime after her husband, James Daniels, was killed by Indians in TX.

And, still, my grandmother's words -- spoken so many years ago -- still echo in my mind: "You have Cherokee blood... Remember that and always be proud..."

jean in CA

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 4:56PM GMT
Hi..I,m not sure..I don't no much about him, he left my mom when she was five years old and she did'nt talk about him much just to say he was cherokee indian and he was born on the reservation..so was she.... but i can't find any thing on him but a 1920 sesus with his wife [my grandma] dora hensley rogers...
if you can give me any insight i would be very greatfull
Thank you
mary

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 5:11PM GMT
I would love any help you can give ..but i know so very little of him ..he left my mom when she was five..she spoke very little of him just he was born on reservation in cherokee n.c and she was born there also but i can't find any record of her or him..my mom died in 1995 and i have been trying to build her tree since but i have hit this wall, if only i could find his mom and dad maybe i could build on that so if you can help in any way i would be so greatfull.
Thank you
mary

SandraStephens50 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2008 5:17PM GMT
If I were you, I would check on other Rogers in the same county in the 1920 census - for instance, there was a William Rogers who was the right age to have been his father (age 42).

Good luck!

Sandra

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 5:20PM GMT
Hi;
I,m not looking for money...i,m looking for my moms family..she died in 1996..not noing of her family line.. i want to do this for her and me i also want to know where i came from on my moms side ..i have found my dad all the way back to the 1400's but,my dad was not indian so he was easy the indians are hard to find i can't get past 1920 on my moms side but i will keep trying until i find them......
thank you
mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions