Search for content in message boards

Vital Statistics

Vital Statistics

Renehallwebb (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2004 5:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Apr 2006 10:15PM GMT
Surnames: Cuyler, Kill, Robinson
Does anyone knows how I may check on the parentage of my GG Grandmother Etha "EFFIE" Cuyler. She grew up in George&Martha Kill's home in Lysander Onondaga County NY. I am trying to find her parents. I have reached a dead end. She married James B. Robinson who was a postal carrier. Later she lived in North Syracuse, Albany and Washington D.C. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Vital Statistics

aurina (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2004 6:00PM GMT
please give some dates to help us help you

newebb315 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2004 2:48AM GMT
Surnames: Robinson, Cuyler, Kill
Thank you for responding. In the 1850 census in the Town of Lysander, Onondaga County, NY. I found Etha Cuyler age 1 living with George & Martha Kill. In the 1860 census I found Effie Cuyler still living with the Kills in the same town but I could not see the relationship. In the 1870 census found Effie, her husband James B. Robinson the letter carrier, her first born son Jesse and 70 year old Martha Kill with them. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Effie & James had 3 sons and one daughter Their names were Jesse, James, Frank and Charlotte. My Great Grandfater was her third child Frank. Thank you again. Rene'

aurina (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2004 1:05PM GMT
have you been able to locate marriage/death certificate and or church baptismal records on anyone? hopefully she married underage and had to fill out a lot of paperwork.

Russ Adsit (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2004 4:53AM GMT
Surnames: Cuyler
Also, I found a reference to James B. Robinson purchasing lot #183 in the Myrtle Grove Cemetery but the date was not recorded.

newebb315 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2004 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: Cuyler, Robinson, Kill
I have not located anything but the census' I have given. The cemetary plot might hold some promise if I can get to NY to find it. Thank you again for looking. Rene'

aurina (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 5:44PM GMT
May I suggest the following: having looked at the census of 1970, where James Robinson, Effie and Jessie live in Lysander, perhaps that is where they were married, not Albany, as you suggest in a previous post. In the 1870 census are Jessie and Minerva Robinson; 1860 J. L. and M.M. Robinson live with Charles, 18 and James , 16. Perhaps James and Effie named their son after his grandfather, who, in the 1860 census , was a M.E. Clergyman. What if it was the Trinity United Methodist Church , on 8396 Morgan Rd, Clay, or one of it's predecessors. Who do you suppose would have married James and Effie? One can only hope that it was Jessie, and that he kept good records, and that if you write to the church, and enclose some coffee money, and a stamped envelope, and beg nicely, they will help. That used to work very well, 20 yrs ago, before genealogical research became so popular; now it only works half the time, but maybe ... Ask them about cemetery records too! The FHL has a film of some cemetery records in that area, 1294873; and Presbytarian church records, 17740, item 1.
Also, I noticed that in the 1900/1910 census, Effie and James lived next to their son, James Herbert; when James died between 1910 - 1920, Effie Lived next to J Herbert and his wife, Gertrude, also in 1930, when Effie and James H both owned their homes on New Hampshire Ave, and James was a clerk for the U.S. Gov. I saw LOTS of Robinsons in the DC area, but a note of interest: the Genealogy Club of Rockville Maryland has historical records at the Jane Sweeny library of the burial of Robinson, Edith; Gertrude, Herbert, mrs. Herbert, James Herbert, Mrs James Herbert.this from the D.C genweb archives on-line, Montgomery county, Maryland, Pumphrey. Not related, just playing, love to find the elusive. Worlds biggest jigsaw puzzle.
Good luck! (Do you have access to the census?)

aurina (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 5:47PM GMT
sorry census of 1870, not 1970!

aurina (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 6:47PM GMT
1900 and 1910 census make yr of marriage approx 1867, Effie abt 18, both census say she had 5 kids, 4 alive , 1900 - james , gov clerk, b Aug 1844; Effie C b. Feb 1849; J. Herbert May 1899, all NY

aurina (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 7:24PM GMT
Rene, did you see Russ' message "Cuyler" on 16 November, indicating the death of Charlotte? Get Effies death certificate, see what day she was born, we know the year and month fit . Also in the same cemetery are some Kills, incd George, Sept 9, 1863, 77 yrs. I couldn't find who is in charge of the cemetery, but I'd bet the town clerk in B'ville would know; when you find out, perhaps they can give you furthur info.
Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions