Search for content in message boards

John Bruffey

John Bruffey

JCOhio (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2007 5:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bruffey, Slaven, Rittenhouse, Hartman, Davisson,
Hello,
I am descended from John and (Eleanor/Elinor)Nellie McDonald Bruffey through their son Patrick. I come through his son James and James' son John S. and John's daughter Hannah. I have heard and read where the main John (of Ireland) served in the Revolutionary War and would like to obtain any service papers on this but dont know where I can get them or if they still exist. I have found on the Pa Archives on Revolutionary soldier the cards they hold on him but it doesnt list the actual service. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Dani

Re: John Bruffey

hardinsh (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2010 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: Bruffey
A very old inquiry but I shall try an answer anyway.
The National Archives has all of the bits and pieces of paper from the Revolutionary War on microfilm. The process of getting copies from the films is tedious at best so I copied by hand all the information on the 32 little documents, beginning with his enlistment at Ft Ticonderoga Dec 13, 177_ (one must assume 1776 because all other documents begin January 1777) through "desarted July 1 '80 of guard."

If you are still interested let me know and I can give you the complete details.

Re: John Allen Bruffey, Sr. - Tyrone, Ireland

slehman74 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2010 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: Bruffey
I too am descended from John Allen Bruffey, Sr. thru Mark James then John 15 Aug 1811, James Andrew Johnson Bruffey, George William Sr, and George William Jr was my Dad. I am seeking the names of John Allen Bruffey Sr's parents or those of his wife Eleanor "Nellie" McDonald, so if you have any information on that line, I would appreciate it.

slehman74 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2010 1:52PM GMT
I saw your post of the records you have for the Revolutionary War for John Bruffey and am very interested in the information, would you like to contact me and I will give you my email address?
thanks
Susan

hardinsh (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2010 4:35PM GMT
Surnames: 79
The records from the Rev War are on microfilm in the Archives. I do not have the physical copies of the tiny bits of paper but I have copied each one (several times in my life). John Bruffey is listed several ways:Brufey; Bruffey; Bruffy; Broffey. All the records are listed as if one man.

enlisted Ticonderoga Dec 13, 177_

Appointed Jan 1, 177_

Muster rolls (as Corporal) -just a slip of paper with a date and name: July 77; Aug 77; Sep 77; Nov 77; Dec 77.

Pay receipt (Corporal) $7 1/3 @ month Jan 78

Roll (Pvt) "on guard" Valley Forge Feb 78
Roll (Pvt) "present/sick" Valley Forge April 15, 78
Roll (Pvt) "present/sick" Valley Forge May 2, 78
Roll (Pvt) "on furlow" Valley Forge June 9, 78
Roll (Pvt) Camp 'Whight' Plains Aug 3, 78
Roll (Pvt) Camp Whight Plains Sep 3, 78
Roll (Pvt) Camp Fredericksburg Nov 16, 78

Pay receipt (Pvt) L 2 S 10 Nov 78

Roll (Pvt) Camp Millstone/Monmouth "on comd" Jan 79
Roll (Pvt) Camp Millstone/Monmouth "on duty" Feb

hardinsh (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2010 4:44PM GMT
I thought to put the information up for everyone but apparently ran out of available space. So, yes, do send me you email address and I will forward bits and pieces. I live in Morgantown WV and outside of DC, so I have opportunities to gather things for folk who live much farther away.

Shirley Bruffey Hardin

MThornhill (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2010 6:16PM GMT
Surnames: Bruffey, Bruffy
I have never seen anything regarding the parents of John from County Tyrone or Elinor "Nellie" McDonald's. Story is that she came from Scotland, as a servant, and met John in America, probably in southeast Pennsylvania area, which is where General Wayne's regiment, in which John served, originated. BTW, I have never seen any middle names for John or his sons Mark, John and Patrick. it gets confusing in generations three and 4 since both Mark and John had sons named John, etc. I have to check to see where I have John Allen B. I think it was as an uncle of George Alexander, the Montana pioneer.

JCOhio (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2010 8:18PM GMT
I come through Patrick and in researching my line have come across one article in which John's father is named. His name was Patrick but I have never seen mention of John's mother. I have the Revolutionary War papers being discussed as I lived in Virginia and worked in DC to which NARA was not far from me.
I have also proven my line so well to John Bruffey (Rev War Patriot) in order to get him in the DAR as I am a member through other lines and wanted to prove him as he should be for serving. However, the DAR has young men or at least that is who reviewed mine, working for them who have no inkling to history so needless to say even with all the proof including photos of his tombstone to which John's son John did for his grave which has he served under Gen Wayne they continue to deny my application. Maybe one day we can get him in as he certainly does need to be honored and recognized.
Is anyone else on this chat trying to get into the DAR or SAR??

slehman74 (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2010 10:27PM GMT
my cousin has done extensive research on this very topic, John Bruffey was a private who deserted, we do not know why, but Pennsylvania still has it on their books that he owes them for one horse and a rifle! She is going to look at her information some more and get back to me, my email is suslehman@aol.com in case I am not still on Ancestry my tree is the Bruffey Tree, take a look. Since my maiden name is Bruffey I would like to find out what happened, perhaps it was a family emergency. However, there is a family story that one Bruffey did desert the Army when bullets began whizzing over his head and joined the Navy instead, so who knows, they did not have a navy in the revolutionary war so it must have been later. But I will keep your info and try to get back to you once I hear from my cousin - she has actually gone to Washington and looked at the information first hand, so hopefully she will find something we are both looking for!, sincerely, Susan Lehman

slehman74 (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2010 10:47PM GMT
I finally found the father, it was Patrick Bruffey in Ireland, but have nothing further, great info about Nellie as Eleanor was called. But I do also have the information on the Nevada Bruffeys, yes, your theory is absolutely correct. George Alexander's brother Theodore Bryson b: Mar 1839 married Sarah Ellen Jetter b 29 Jan 1892 McMinn Cty, TN. They got married in 1867 in Cloverdale, Sonoma, CA. All their children were born in Nevada. They were: Adelia Bell b 6 Oct 1869 at Mineral Hill d ?, Theodore Allen b 30 Oct 1871 and d 30 Oct 1944 (WWII?), George Monroe b 29 Jul 1878 at Bruffey Ranch Nevada d 1897, Bert Hancock b 27 Apr 1880 in Palisade d 1957, Roger Vane b 22 Dec 1885 at Bruffey Ranch Nevada d 1967,and Ida May b 9 Dec 1887 in Palisade d 1984. Not having looked at a map of Nevada lately, I wonder if these places are close together or not? Hope this answers your questions about the Bruffeys in Nevada - since Ida May lived until 1984, perhaps there is more information on the families now. I hope this helps!
your friend Susan Lehman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions