Search for content in message boards

Ambrose Downs Nancy Hooter

Ambrose Downs Nancy Hooter

Gorjouzz (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2007 12:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downs, Hooter
Looking for info on the following family and their ancestors/descendants.

Ambrose Downs aka Aros E.
b. May 1850 (according to Census)
d. after 1900 (listed on census)

married to Nancy A. Hooter (her mother's name was Louisa)
b.March 1856 (according to Census

each were born in Mississippi (according to census)
and married 18 May 1880 in Warren Co., Mississippi

They had at least 5 children as follows:

1.Captolia Downs daughter b.May 1879 (wrongly listed as a boy named Captora on 1880 census)

2.William Albert Downs (my ancestor)
b.April 1881 (the dates I have seen vary)
d 13 May 1966 Warren Co., Mississippi
William was married to Rosa "Rosie" Ella Dixon about 1901
1910 Census they are in Jackson Co., Louisiana
1920 Census they are in Columbia Co., Arkansas but most of their Children were born in Louisiana and Texas

3. Ransom?Ramon? Downs b.March 1888

4. Fred Downs March 1890
on message boards I've seen it stated that he was allegedly hung for stealing a horse but no approximate year for that was given.

5.Luther Downs 1894

P.S It seems there is a family rumor that William was 100% Cherokee and was from North-East Oklahoma...I've not ever found any proof of him being connected to Oklahoma in anyway (nor his father Ambrose) I've also not ever been able to find any proof William or his father were on the "Indian" rolls.

It would be helpful to know where this story came from.

Re: Ambrose Downs Nancy Hooter

jazzdandi (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2012 2:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downs, Dixon
I am a granddaughter of William Albert Downs and Rosa Ella Dixon Downs. I am the daughter of their youngest daughter, Ruby Nell. I was given up for adoption at birth, but am in contact with all of my "known" biological siblings. It seems that this post is 5 years old now, so there may not be anyone checking the board any longer. I see that you are a decendent of William Downs too and would love to correspond and learn any information on the Downs family that you might be willing to share.
I, too, have heard from my siblings that my Grandfather was full blooded Cherokee and have also heard the rumor that there was an Uncle hung for stealing a horse.
Candi Mitchell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions