Search for content in message boards

Whitely

Whitely

Justtrekin (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2007 7:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whitely
I have a photo album from before turn of the century and am trying to find descendants but there are numerous surnames including WHITELY. Included in album are 3 photographs, two of them labeled 'General Whitely' however I have not found any 'General' Whitely listed in the Civil War although there are several Whitely's (most Privates) listed. Unfortunately I am not familiar with uniforms of Civil War. One (earlier) photo taken in New York, another later photo taken Pittsburgh, PA of 'General Whitely' and also one of "Mrs. Whitely" also taken Pittsburgh. PA. If you think you could be descendant, please post to board and list other surnames in your family line. Additional photo's include England and numerous US states. Am looking to donate album to descendant family.

Re: Whitely

Gradeless (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2008 12:15PM GMT
Surnames: Grayless, Gradeless, Whitley, Whitely, Wheatley
General Whitley / Whitely / Wheatly was a General with command of the 4 eastern Batallions during the American Revolution. I am a descendant of William Whitley (probably one of the various privates that was in the company of Capt. Jesse Grayless who served under Col/Gen. William Whitley. The Whitely is the more modern spelling of that name.

misstippitoe (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2012 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Whiteley, Isett
General Robert Henry Kirkwood Whiteley was a friend of my husband's great great grand uncle Samuel L. Isett who went to live in Pittsburgh from Baton Rouge in 1864 - 1867 to work in the Allegheny Arsenal during the General's command of that facility. The General paid for the cemetery vault when Samuel died. Samuel's grandson, Robert Henry Whiteley Huguet was his namesake. If you still have the photos, I would very much like to see the General. Can you scan a copy? He is not a direct relation so I would not want to take possession of the collection but it would be very interesting to see what he looked like.

Justtrekin (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2012 4:55PM GMT
Surnames: Whitely
I posted the photographs on deadfred. You can go to www.deadfred.com and insert the surname Whitely ... you will find the photos of Whitely and his wife under "Whitely, Pittsburg, PA" ... he is in uniform and has a long beard. I believe you can download and/or print a copy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions