Search for content in message boards

ballykilmurry, kilrossanty and kilmacthomas kirwan, waterford

ballykilmurry, kilrossanty and kilmacthomas kirwan, waterford

lesley king (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2002 7:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: kirwan
Hi there, Looking for info and descendants of any kirwans in these areas, from around 1880. I have John and Mary Kirwan married in 1880, living in Ballykilmurry (Ballykilmurray) near Kilrossanty, in the parich of Kilmacthomas, Waterford. James and either Anastasia or Alice also lived there. John and Mary had children: John 1881, Mary 1884, Thomas 1888, Bridget 1890, William 1895. If you know of these families, let me know. I think John (b1881) married Margaret Whelan in 1912; Bridget m Michael Dee 1916; William m Mary Hurley, 1923, all in Ireland; Ellen m Henry Roberts in Kent 1926. Particularly interested in Mary, daughter of this Ellen (Ellen b 1893), whose birth place and date are unknown. Also interested in Ellen, daughter of Thomas and Ellen Kirwan, b either 1898 or 1900. Are you related or do you know these families? Please let me know, I have pics and some more info to share in return. Also, if you know who John Kirwan (b 1849)of Ballykilmurray's father was, please let me know. By the way, please be as specific as you can, as there are so many overlapping names. Thanks.

Re: ballykilmurry, kilrossanty and kilmacthomas kirwan, waterford

philip_cleary (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2002 7:03AM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2006 5:34PM GMT
I have a copy of an indenture, dated Feb. 26, 1827, and signed by William, Patrick, and John Kirwan of "lower Lackindarra" in Waterford. (I believe that "Lackendarra" is the current spelling.) In the indenture, they transferred "one half of the farm and lands which they hold from Dennis Kuffe Esq. at Kilrossinty [sic]..." to Pierce Kirwan and Margaret Power on the occasion of their marriage.

Pierce (my great-great-grandfather) and Patrick are identified in the document as the sons of William. John's relationship to William is not stated, but I believe that he was also a son.

Pierce had a son John (my great-grandfather) who was born between 1835 and 1844, but he emigrated to the US about 1848. If it's of any significance, John named three of his sons William, John, and James.

I don't have any other information about the John who signed the indenture, although, obviously, he would have reached the age of legal majority (21?) by 1827 if he was capable of executing the document.

I don't know if all of that means that we're cousins, but, in any event, you now have a Kirwan family with a Kilrossanty connection (and some suggestive first names).

I'd be glad to send you a copy of the indenture if you'd like.

Lesley King (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2003 11:08PM GMT
Dear Philip, this is fantastic! I have to go home and check my records, but I am pretty sure we have a serious connection here. I know Pierce and Margaret were in my records. I think the John mentioned may be my great great grandfather. My great grandfather was born to a John Kirwan in Ballkilmurray/Kilrossanty in 1849. I know John (great great grandfather) had land at least leased in the Kilrossanty/BK area. I wish they gave each other middle names, as otherwise you end up with so many Patricks and Johns! i'll let you know what I find in my notes. I am going back to ireland from the US again in April I hope, so we should comunicate further.

Lesley King (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2003 11:08PM GMT
Dear Philip, this is fantastic! I have to go home and check my records, but I am pretty sure we have a serious connection here. I know Pierce and Margaret were in my records. I think the John mentioned may be my great great grandfather. My great grandfather was born to a John Kirwan in Ballkilmurray/Kilrossanty in 1849. I know John (great great grandfather) had land at least leased in the Kilrossanty/BK area. I wish they gave each other middle names, as otherwise you end up with so many Patricks and Johns! i'll let you know what I find in my notes. I am going back to ireland from the US again in April I hope, so we should communicate further.

lesley king (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2003 11:23PM GMT
One more thing. The sons' names you mention may just have been popular, but John (my great grandfather), lived at Ballykilmurray (Kilrossanty) with someone who I think was his brother, or more probably his uncle, called James. This would make your great grandfather and my great grandfather cousins, while James was either a cousin or an uncle to your great granfather. We need evidence though and this is so hard to find before 1860s.

Patty (Maye) Wheeler (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2003 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: May(e), Lonergan, Linehan, Power (Waterford)
Hi Leslie and Phillip,

If you do a google.com search and key in Kilrossanty Griffith's Valuation you will find Kirwin on there. I was in Kilrossanty last June visiting my family. I went to the Catholic Church (St. Brigid) where my g grandparents are buried. Also you and Phillip might want to check out the wonderful Waterford website for your family. It's www.waterfordcoco.ie That is a site set up by the county council. You can click on county library and see all the prompts. I found lots of family there for Kilrossanty and Kilmacthomas where my father's parents came from. Good luck.

pdst1972 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2007 7:30PM GMT
my g'mother and grand aunt are kirwins from that area i believe!
they have a power connection also
denise

jerseymouse1 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2009 5:17AM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan, Power
I am a descendant of Pierce and Margaret Kirwan, through their youngest daughter, Ellen "Nell" Kirwan Gragg; Her daughter Susie, her daughter Mary, and my mother Mary.

They arrived on June 12, 1849 at Boston on the Ocean Star, which sailed from Liverpool.

If you are still out there, can you please answer?

(I am going to Ireland soon, and so began looking at my Irish in earnest.)
Peggy

philip_cleary (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2009 5:46AM GMT
I'm still here, Cousin, and would love to exchange information with you.

Phil

jerseymouse1 (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2009 6:47PM GMT
I did the genealogy happy dance when I read your email. I'm so pleased to 'talk' with you! I had to double check, but aren't we 3rd cousins once removed?

On the basis of your posting in 2002, I have requested the indenture record for the land deeded to Pierce Kirwan and Margaret Power. I'm so grateful that you posted it, and am kicking myself for never looking at message boards.

I will be in Ireland in less than 2 months, and plan to spend 3 days in County Waterford. I just may be able to walk their land, 160 years after they left.

Please tell me if I overwhelm you with questions. I have found 8 of Pierce's children, but only 2 of those married-Alice and my Ellen. I'm putting together Alice's family bit by bit, as well as my own, but mostly I waited until thise who would know had died.

One of heart's desires is to see a picture of any of them.

Sincerely,
Peggy Cooley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions