Search for content in message boards

Monteith/Gilchrist

Monteith/Gilchrist

Jennifer J. Monteith (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Monteith, Gilchrist
I am looking to find out any additional information regarding the following ancestors including port departures from Scotland and on what ship. My ancestors are: William Monteith b. 6/4/1743 in Sterlingshire and married Isabella Gilchrist 3/25/1775. Married, I believe in Sterlingshire. Isabella was born in Clackmannan 11/3/1754. Any information on their parents would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Jennifer

Monteith

akdods1 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2002 12:32AM GMT
Surnames: Monteith, Maxwell
This may be a long short but I have a Nicolas Monteith
born in Bo'ness, West Lothian, Scotland in 1750 - her parents were James Monteith and Helen Muirhead. They
were married in Stirling, Stirlingshire - Baptist Church
Oct 12 1777. Not sure if there is a connection but
thought I would mention this fact.

Monteith and Gilchrist

JudieFlint (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2001 8:06PM GMT
Surnames: Monteith, Gilchrist, Finley, Ruthven
According to the records I have William Monteith was born abt June 14, 1747 in Kilsyth. He married Mary Finley (b. November 1757) in Kilsyth. They had a son William Monteith born July 9, 1787 who married Margaret Ruthven on November 28, 1813 in Kilsyth. Margaret died before 1824. They had a son William Ruthven Monteith who was born May 29, 1814 in Kilsyth who married Isabella/Isabel Gilchrist born around August 1813...they emigrated to Vermont, USA. He died December 28, 1889 in Vermont, she died May 8, 1898 in Connecticut. Perhaps James was the first William's father and Nicholas' brother? Not in Scotland myself...if Bo'ness West Lothian anywhere near Kilsyth? Have you pictures? I have early ones of William Ruthven Monteith...perhaps we can find a family resemblance? I have Isabel Gilchrist but not early ones.

Monteith

akdods1 (View posts)
Surnames: Monteith, Muirhead
Hi Julie,

Here are the details.
James Monteith married Helen Muirhead on Dec 29 1742
in Denny, Stirling, Scotland
and they had a daughter of Nicholas Monteith Sept 16 1750
in Bo'ness, West Lothian, Scotland.
Then Nicholas married John Maxwell on Oct 12 1777
Stirling, Scotland in a Baptist Church.
It is possible your William was a brother. Was he Baptist?
What other information do you have about him?

Karla

Monteith marriage/birth dates?

JudieFlint (View posts)
Surnames: Monteith, Gilchrist
Please confirm those names and dates of births/marriages of Nicholas Monteith, James Monteith and Helen Muirhead.

It is possible that my William Monteith may be have been a sibling of your line, the son of James also...but there is confusion in the dates you posted... Nicolas Monteith was born in 1750... parents, James Monteith and Helen Muirhead were married 27 years later in 1777?

My William Monteith was born around 1747 in Kilsyth, Stirlingshire.

Monteith

akdods1 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Monteith, Maxwell
Sorry I don't have any family pictures and I am not sure
where Bo'ness West Lothian is in relation to Kilsyth.

If I get a few minutes I will research these two places.

Ruthven

Marilyn Garrard (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ruthven
My GG Grandfather Robert Ruthven(1777-1852) emigrated to Ontario Canada in 1825 with 4 of his 6 children. He had a sister Margaret, remaining in Glasgow, who married William Monteith. A copy of an old family letter from Scotland (1849) "your sister Margaret Ruthven was married to William Monteith, he went away to America on year 23 (?) and took his two children with him to one of the states, but I do not know where"

Margaret Ruthven

AnnWuelfing (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 8:21PM GMT
Surnames: Ruthven, Monteith
My cousin Judie Flint referred me to this forum. Your information about Robert Monteith seems very promising. I have quite a bit of information about William, his wives and his children - some from Vermont records and some from Scottish Church records. I would be happy to share it with you if you will get in touch with either/both me or Judie directly. I would be especially interested in the names of Robert's parents if you have that information. My email address is annvwuelfing@cswebmail.com.

Robert Ruthven

JudieFlint (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ruthven, Monteith
The timeframe on your response looks good and we may possibly have a match here. I have contacted my cousin, Anne, as she has more information than I. We are both anxious to receive any information we can on Robert to try and fit this together. Please do contact me directly. Thank you! judieflint@aol.com

GENEALOGY

Patricia Smith (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WILLIAM RUTHVEN
I am descended from a William Gilbert Ruthven born 1796 and am looking for any contacts who may be able to help me discover whereabouts in Scotland he was born.

He was a Dyer in the weaving industry and travelled to Spitalfields London in the early 1800's where he settled.

I suspect his father may have been Gilbert Ruthven from Fife.

Any help would be very gratefully received
regards
Patricia Smith
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions