Search for content in message boards

Franklin Family

Franklin Family

Phyllis Franklin (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2004 3:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Franklin
My hunband is descended from the family of Henry Franklin Sr. who was living in Amhurst Co., VA in 1761 at the time of the formation of that county . I have been unable to find the location of their land (Henry and sons, James, AAron, Ruben, Henry Jr., Peachy etc.) Where can one find early maps that would direct me to the location of their land. It is my hope that after locating the land, perhaps the rest of the family history might be found in the parent county. Also, is any one related to this family??????

Re: Franklin Family

JW Smoot (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2004 12:56PM GMT
I have marriages for several of the sons and perhaps daughters if you are interested.

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: Franklin
I would be interested. We have tried for many years to find where Henry Sr. came from. Also the cause of the death of Henry Jr. I don't think he was in the Rev. War. however, have found in some books that he supplied beeves for the troups. He died in 1782 do wonder if it was war related.

Do you know how I can find the location of the land that the Franklin's owned???

Thanks, Phyllis

JW Smoot (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2004 1:25PM GMT
Phyllis

I hope you find this useful. I can not help with local issues as I live in New York. The marriages listed in the "Marriage Bonds of Amherst Co., VA 1763-1800" are as follows:

male
James Franklin, bachelor and Nancy Crews, spinster, Dec. 15, 1796. Reuben Crawford, surety. Certificate of marriage by the Rev. William Crawford.

Jasper Franklin, bachelor and Polly Brockman, spinster, Oct. 27, 1796. Reuben Franklin, surety. Consent of her mother, Elizabeth Brockman.

Peachy Franklin and Susannah Dillard, spinster, March 20, 1799. Spotswood Garland, surety.

Reubin Franklin, bachelor and Matilda Harrison, spinster, Nov. 2, 1796. Reubin Harrison, surety.

Samuel Franklin, bachelor and Rachel Powell, spinster, Jan. 1, 1794. James Ballinger, surety. Consent of her father, Thomas Powell.

female
William Clarkson and Lucinda Franklin, Feb. 17, 1798. Jeremiah Franklin, surety.

Jacob Scott, bachelor and Milley Franklin, spinster, Aug. 6, 1787. Samuel Franklin, surety, who made oath that Milley Franklin "is above the age of 18 years and to the best of his knowledge exceeds 21 years." Consent of Milley.

William Smith, bachelor and Philadelphia Franklin, spinster, Nov. 17, 1784. Samuel Franklin, surety. Consent of Henry Franklin. Certificate of marriage by the Rev. Joseph Ballinger, Nov. 18, 1784. (Order Book 1784-1787, p. 60.)

Jim Smoot

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 1:35PM GMT
Thank you for your assistance. It is appreciated. Phyllis

VicSmith74 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2004 6:31PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2004 5:33PM GMT
Additional Franklin Marriages;
Source:
Marriage Bonds and Other Marriage Records of Amherst County, Virginia
1763-1800. Compiled by William Montgomery Sweeny; Originally published
Lynchburg, Virginia, 1937.
published with
Marriage Records of Amherst County, Virginia 1815-1821 and Subscription for
Building St. Mark's Church Amherst County, Virginia. By Lenora Higginbotham
Sweeny. Originally published Lynchburg, Virginia, 1961
Reprinted, two books in one, for
Clearfield Company, Inc. by
Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc.
Baltimore, Maryland 1999
1815-1821, Page 12
Carter, Robert W., and Mary W. L. Franklin, March 3, 1820. John W. Lightfoot, surety, Consent of Mary W. L.
1815-1821, Page 13
Franklin, Campbell, and Catherine Guthree, January 7, 1819. Married by Rev. Pleasant Thurman. (M.R.)
Page 19, Subscription for Building St. Mark's Church
Joel Franklin paid $2.

VicSmith74 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2004 6:51PM GMT
Ref:
William Smith married PHiladelphia Franklin, on November 17, 1784. Source: Marriage Bond, Amherst County.
Philadelphia is the daughter of Henry Franklin. This Henry Franklin died between April 10, 1792 when he wrote his Will and September 17, 1792, when it was proven in Amherst County Court. Named in this Will: Sone in Law Joseph Ballinger, Son John Franklin, Daughter Elizabeth Ballinger, Son Henry Franklin, Son James Franklin, Daughter Beggy [Peggy?] Harrison, Daughter Phebe Franklin, Son Joel Franklin, Son Samuel Franklin, Daughter Philidelpia Smith, Son Samuel Franklin, Daughter Judith Franklin and Wife Margaret Franklin. Deed Book 3, Page 233, Amherst County, Virginia. Transcribed by V. A. Smith, 24 July 2002.
William Smith is the Son of Jacob Smith.
Does anyone have the parents of this Henry Franklin or of this Jacob Smith.

VicSmith74 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2004 7:46PM GMT
Hi Phyllis - Do you have a list of the children of this Henry Franklin Sr.? Do you know when he died?

Phyllis (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2004 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: Franklin Graves Higginbotham Ballinger
Thanks to all for the response to my query. I do have the information about the will and Henry Sr's children's marriages. The son Henry mentioned in his will was deceased when the father Henry Sr. died.
I don't know who Henry Sr.s parents were or where he came from. Was he the immigrant???? People have guessed that his wife Margaret was a Ballinger but no record of their marriage either.
I have not ever been able to locate Henry Sr. in another county prior to the formation of Amhurst county, which lead me to believe that Henry SR.'s land etc and the marriage record for Henry Jr., our ancestor, must have been in another county and prior to 1741. Perhaps it was Ballinger land and belonded to his wife's family.

I have taken a new approach to this research since beginning the new book about George Washington. "An Imperfect God"
The book is quite good and relates much information about Virginia and it's people during the time period I am researching. Family name was important and land, dowery was also important. Many marriages were arranged to keep together or add to family holdings.

The woman that Henry Jr. married was a Higginbothom d/o Aaron and Clara Graves Higgenbothom. After Henry Jr. died, she married a brother of Benedict Arnold and moved to the Carolina's. Both the Higgenbothoms and Graves were noteworthy names from that time period in land and government. Henry Jr's son, Henry T (our direct ancestor) had the middle name of Tarleton. Does anyone know the source of that name.

Thanks for reading this lengthly note. Phyllis

VicSmith74 (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2004 1:30AM GMT
The Henry Franklin who died in 1792 wrote his Will on 10 April 1792. To quote one part of the Will; "I give to my Son Henry Franklin one Brown Coloured Horse one Cow and Calf & their Increase and one Feather Bed & which things he has in his possession." Thus, this Henry Franklin [Jr.] was alive when his father wrote his Will. Nor are Aaron, Ruben or Peachy names which are listed in Will. It look like there were several Franklin families living in Amherst County at this time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions