Search for content in message boards

Choate Family Marion County, Tennessee

Choate Family Marion County, Tennessee

crcsramsey (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2008 5:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Choate/Hulvey/Pierson
I am interested in the descendants of John D. Choate and Angeline Elizabeth Pierson. According to familysearch.org my grandfather, George Arvil Choate, was the son of John R. Choate and Mary L. Hulvey. John R. Choate was the son of John D. and Angeline. He was listed with them in the 1880 census.
He died before I was born but I knew his younger sisters. I an especially interested in finding documents connecting George A to John R. and anything else that I can find between 1880 and 1917.

Re: Choate Family Marion County, Tennessee

wcharleshsr (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2008 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: choate
i hope i am able to help. i was raised by my grand mother the daughter of john david and anjaline choate. i am almost sure that arvil is the son of john r choate. arvil was the familys first grand child and john was the oldest born 1866. i have heard my grandmother talk about arvil so many times. i belive she told me john r moved his family to arkansaw so the history of his family is lost to us. you said you knew johns younger sisters, emma e,carie and kitty.

csgordon01 (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2008 10:10PM GMT
Yes, I did know Emma Choate Pyburn, Carrie Choate, and Kitty Choate Massengill. When I was young we used to ride across the Tennessee River on a ferry to get to South Pittsburg where we attended the decoration of the cemetary where they are all buried. I believe that Aunt Emma was a school teacher in Whitwell, TN. I visited the daughter of Aunt Kitty in South Pittsburg, TN several years ago. She had cancer and I haven't heard if she is still living. This is the first time that I have heard that John R. had moved to Arkansas. I have been told that my Grandfather Arvil moved to Oklahoma when he was 14.

brina948 (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2008 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: Sholtz, Schoate, Choate, Scholtz
My name is Sabrina Smith I am a Sholtz I have recently discovered that my great great grand mother Barbara was burried as a Scholtz in Harrison but her children had many diffrent names. I have a Jess Schoate, Cleveland, a John and Emma(married)Choate, Cleveland, Margaret Choate, Cleveland, Ginger(David) Sholtz Ooltewah Harrison area. They were are born the mid 1800's. I am asumming that I am not really a Sholtz.

grizzlymom1 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2010 2:38AM GMT
Surnames: CHOATE
My husband was given up for adoption by Mae Elizabeth Choate, she was born in 1910 died 1973 from New Hope (Marion County). We have found out, but was wondering if anyone knew of her father Tom Choate (medical issues). We have visited the cemetery @ New Hope where many Choates are buried. Any info would be appreciated.

csgordon01 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2010 1:34AM GMT
I have a picture of my grandfather's half brother Tom. I never knew him. I'm not sure if your Tom is the same one. My grandfather's dad was John R. Choat and his mother was Mary Hulsey. Mary died and John R. remarried. I've run into a blank with my grandfather from 1902-1919. I have found census records for the rest of the family. The last record that I have on John R. he was in Stevenson, Alabama running a watch shop.

PatriciaJAchramowicz (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2011 12:20AM GMT
Surnames: Choat/Choate, Jones
My Choates came out of Marion Co., TN and went to Texas. They were Austin & Joann (Henderson) Choat. He was a son of Thomas & LaVesta (Jones) Choat. Would like to find anyone who has done research on LaVesta (Jones) Choat to see if they have found anything on her family. She was said to be half-Cherokee. She was born 1792 in Kentucky.

csgordon01 (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2012 9:21PM GMT
Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to this. I have been working and taking care of my new husband and my elderly mom and have done very little work on my genealogy for several years. Yes, I did know John R. Choate's sisters. I remember traveling to Tennessee every year for the decoration day at the cemetary where the Choates were buried. Several years ago I took my mom back to visit Aunt Carrie's daughter Trilby Moore. She was living across the road from the old home place in South Pittsburg, TN. As far as I know, she was the last living child in that generation. She has since died and I have lost her son's address. My mother is the only child of Arvil to his second wife,my grandmother, Mary Edna Bradley). I know that he was married to a lady named Pearl, but I don't know anything else about her. Mom told me one time that she thought that she had a half-brother somewhere, but she didn't know where or who he was. I have not been able to find anything else about Arvil from the time he was 11 until he married my grandmother in March of 1917. I found a census record for John R. Choate in Stevenson, Alabama in 1920. My mom said that the only time she remembered seeing her grandfather was when she was five. Her dad took her to John R's watch shop. John took a dolly off of the top shelf and gave it to her. If you have any further information on Arvil, especially from 1899-1917 I would appreciate it. Thanks. Connie

csgordon01 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2012 12:46AM GMT
Hi grizzlymom1,

I was reading back over some of the posts and ran across your post regarding Tom Choate. This may not help you now, but I just remembered something that I hadn't thought of in years, I think that I did meet Uncle Tom when we went to South Pittsburg for one of the Decoration Days when I was a young teen. If I remember correctly, he had parkinson's disease. I didn't know much about it at the time, but looking back, I'm sure that was what it was. Sorry it took me so long to get back on this. You may contact me at conniesgordon@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions