Search for content in message boards

Crow Massacre Rock in PA

Crow Massacre Rock in PA

buckeye937 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2012 5:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to find where the memorial rock of the Crow Rock Massacre is located. I live in Ohio and am planning a road trip to Western PA to locate the memorial rock, and any other relevant sites for the Jacob Gro/Crow family. I am having difficulty with locating exact directions to find the memorial rock. Can any provide basic directions on how to find the memorial, and any other locations related to the Jacob Gro/Crow family (cemetary, home, etc). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Crow Massacre Rock in PA

trajanmax (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2012 7:43PM GMT
What route will you be coming from Ohio? Will you be coming west on I70 and then south on 79? If I know the direction you are coming from I can give you very detailed directions.

Here is a link to photos of Crow's Rock, and the Crow Cemetery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24943615@N05/sets/7215762666453...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24943615@N05/sets/7215762680516...

buckeye937 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2012 11:52PM GMT
I will be coming from the Columbus area, on I-70. Thanks for the photo links. Beautiful!

trajanmax (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2012 6:31PM GMT
Ok, here are some directions:

Take 170E All the way into Washington PA, where you will then:

Take I79 South. Follow I79 All the way into Waynsburg (Exit 14) And that will put you on Rt 21.

Take Rt 21 West, for approximately 20 Miles (21 Will take you through the town of Waynesburg, so be sure to follow the signs posted for 21)

21 Will take you into a small town called "Wind Ridge" as it's name suggests, it is high up on a ridge, right in the middle of the town, you will make a right onto:

Crabapple Road. Follow Crababble road, all the way to the end. The road ends at the bottom of a hill, and there you will make a VERY sharp left, onto:

Wheeling Creek Road. Follow Wheeling Creek for about a mile, and when you see a sign for Veterans Road, Turn right onto:

Veterans Road, follow Veterans for a little under a mile, and there you will turn onto Crows Creek/Crows Rock Road.

Crows Rock road, is a dirt road, and Crows Rock is probably a mile out the road on the right. Drive slowly, and keep looking right, and you'll see the Rock and a small plaque on the bank on the right. It is easy to miss, so be sure to keep a look out. This is a dead end road, so if you reach the end (There is a small farm at the end) you have gone too far. Incidentally, if you stop at the small farm, that is where the Crow Cemetery is. I stopped there last year, and the residents were happy to show me to the Crow Family Cemetery which is just a hundred yards or so from their house. I hope this helps, and if you need any clarification, please feel free to ask.

trajanmax (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2012 6:39PM GMT
Oh, and I forgot to say, it is a Left onto Crows Creek

buckeye937 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2012 6:41PM GMT
Thank you SO MUCH!!!! This is very helpful! I appreciate the information.

trajanmax (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2012 7:34PM GMT
It is my pleasure.

buckeye937 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2012 7:30PM GMT
Wanted to let you know that my mom and I made the trip to Crow Rock yesterday. THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH for the directions as I'm preeettty sure we would have not located the memorial and rock without your help. Unfortunately, we could not get to the Crow Cemetery. There must have been a storm the night before and there was a tree down across the road (after Crow Rock) so we could venture no further. However, we did find 2 other cemetaries where other ancestors were located, and overall had a great experience.

MattCumberledge51 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2012 8:48PM GMT
It is my pleasure, when I first tried to locate it, I drove past it twice I think. I am glad to hear you made it there fine. I am sad to hear that you didn't get to make it to the Crow Cemetery, it is very interesting to see the hand carved markers for the Crow Girls, two of them were buried in one grave, as the third sister died a couple days later. The family vault is an interesting site as well, something you don't see too often in small family cemeteries. We've had rather a lot of storms lately, but hopefully next trip out here you'll be able to see the cemetery.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions