Surnames: Davis
Looking for names of siblings of Jefferson Davis

Siblings of Jefferson Davis

SGillberg (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 5:12AM GMT
1-vi 1. Samuel Emory Davis, s/o Evan Davis, b@ 1755/58 in Wilkes County, Ga, and died Jul 04, 1824, Woodville, Warren Co., MS, when he was, according to Jefferson Davis, in his 68th year. He m. 1783, GA, Mrs. Martha Jane (Cook) Simpson, b. 1759/62 SC, d. Oct 3, 1845, Woodville, Warren Co.,
MS, dau. Col William Cook [of the 96th Dist., later the Edgefield District, SC] & Sarah Simpson(?) Children of Samuel Davis and Martha Jane (Cook) Simpson are:

1-vi 1. i. Joseph Emory Davis, b. Dec 10, 1784, nr Augusta, Wilkes Co., GA; d. Sep 18, 1870 [tombstone]. He m. Oct 04, 1827 Jackson, MS to Eliza(beth) Van Benthuysen, b. Jan 23, 1811, d. Oct 4, 1863, Lauderdale Springs, MS [dts from tombstone] d/o Mrs. Mary Van Benthuysen, widow.

1-vi 1. ii. Benjamin Davis, b. Bet. 1787/88; d. Oct 22, 1827 [tombstone near St. Francisville, LA] He m.@1824 Aurelia Smith, b. @1802, d.@1866. There's no mention
I have found yet that Aurelia Smith Davis m2 to anyone.

1-vi 1. iii. Samuel A Davis, b. 1788/89; d.ante Nov 08, 1831 m. Mar 25, 1818 Jefferson Co., MS to Lucinda Throckmorton b.@ 1794/95, d. Feb 18, 1873 Children of Samuel A Davis and Lucinda Throckmorton are:

1-vi 1. iv Anna Eliza Davis, b. September 01, 1791 Augusta,
Wilkes Co., GA; d. Aug 13, 1870 LA She m. Mar 31, 1816 Wilkinson Co, MS Luther L. Smith b.@ 1769/70, d. Dec 23, 1833, St Francisville, LA

1-vi 1. v. Isaac Williams Davis, b. Oct 1792 Augusta, Wilkes Co., GA; d.1833/34 Manton, MS, m. 1822, Susan(nah) Gartley, b. Mar 18, 1794, d. Mar 6, 1874,

1-vi 1. vi. Lucinda Farrar Davis, b. Jun 05, 1797 Mercer Co., KY; d. Dec 14, 1873 Woodville, MS, She m[1] Dec 12,1816 Hugh Davis b.@ 1792/93, d. Jul 12, 1817 Woodville, MS. She m[2] Mar 05, 1820 William Stamps b. Nov 2, 1797, Paris, KY, d. Feb 1878, Woodville, MS

1-vi 1. vi. [forgot who that was]

1-vi 1. viii. Amanda Jane Davis, b. Nov 14, 1800 Warren Co., KY; d. Oct 22, 1881. She m. Nov 06, 1820 Wilkinson Co., MS David Bradford b. Feb 2, 1796
PA?, d. Mar 12, 1844 (murdered)

1-vi 1. ix. Mary Ellen Davis, b. 1805/06, d. Mar 2, 1824, Woodville, MS, m. Feb 5, 1820,
Robert Davis, b. 1790/91, d. 1824/30

1-vi 1. x. Jefferson F. Davis, b. Jun 3, 1808, Christian Co., Ky [that portion of Christian Co. later became Todd Co.] Ky, d. Dec 6, 1889, New Orleans, LA, m1. Jun 17 1835, Beechland, Louisville KY Sarah Knox Taylor b. 1814 d. 15 Sep 1835; m2. Natchez, MS, Varina Banks Howell b. May 7 1826 d. Oct 16 1906.

Re: Siblings of Jefferson Davis

Fran577 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2001 5:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Might someone tell me the parents of Lucinda Throckmorton d 2-18-1873, wife of Samuel A. Davis?

My husband is a direct descedant of Robert Throckmorton who m c 1730 Mary Lewis of Gloucester Co., VA.

I wondered how Lucinda might connect to that Throckmrton Family ?

Susan Gillberg (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2001 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: Throckmorton, Davis, Rawls
As to Lucinda Throckmorton Davis, w/o Samuel A Davis, I have done a handful of intensive online searches into the name of Throckmorton, starting in MS, did find a couple of items to indicate Lucy/Lucinda was not a changling foisted off on humanity, that she did not spring full grown from the forebrain of some errant genealogist -- she is listed for instance in Vol 8 of the Jefferson Davis Papers at Rice University as the sister in law of Jefferson Davis.

She was only about 35/37 when Samuel Davis died, had borne five children, and I found for a Lucy Throckmorton and a John C. Rawls, Claiborne Co., MS, a marriage bond dtd Aug 24 1830 ref to the forthcoming marriage.
Marriage Bond of John C. RAWL and Lucy THROCKMORTON http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rawls/RawlThrk.html

Not convinced the future Mrs Rawls was the widowed Mrs Davis, but who knows? Samuel d bfr Nov 08, 1831

Warren Co. MS numbers among its founders one Samuel A Davis, and among other names in its early years appears the name Throckmorton

Mississippi Counties Tishomingo-Warren
http://www.segenealogy.com/mississippi/mscnty15.htm

"Other families in the area in early years include Turnbull, Rapalije, Griffin, Hyland, Downs, Dana, Knowland, Thompkins, Whitefield, Sharkey, Spann, Templeton, Matthews, Bland, Mc Cullock, Gee, Henderson, Featherston, Mc Lemurry, Howard, Cocke, Jackson, Maynadier, Whitaker, Cox, Abney, Hough, Bither, Blunt, Boob, Gervais, Kines, Glass, Evans, Durden, Haynes, Blanchard, Landell, Barfields, Armstrong, Beckwith, Smith, Bohanon, Pace, Rawls, Mc Elrath, Hicks, Morancy, Jenkins, Ferguson, and Throckmorton"

There is also a Throckmorton TX, and there are dunamany Throckmorton in MS and VA and TX.

BUT as to what her antecedents were, her partents, I don't know. My suggestion is to intensively sift the Throckmorton in MS and track backward from there and perhaps you will arrive at the connections with your own Throckmorton.

Susan Gillberg

melba_straigis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2001 8:40PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2009 9:26AM GMT
Susan, does any one have the names of the parents and siblings of Samuel Emery Davis ? The name "Emery" suggest there might be some connection with that family. Thank you very much for any help you can give. Melba

Posted: 25 Sep 2001 8:53PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS
YES, very much so "someone" has the parents, sibs, children, grand-children, and etc of Samuel Emory Davis, there are three sites:

Genealogy of the Davis Family
www.ruf.rice.edu/~pjdavis/gene.htm

Genealogy of Jefferson Davis, President CSA
dgmweb.net/genealogy/0/JeffDavis/JeffDavisHome.htm

JEFFERSON DAVIS' EXTENDED FAMILY
http://members.aol.com/daviscornr/ExtendedFamLineDavis.htm

Sincerely,
Susan Gillberg, sjg3587@aol.com

melba_straigis (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2001 9:02PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2003 10:48PM GMT
Thank you very much Susan. There "is" information about the siblings of Samuel Emory Davis, father of Jefferson. This will keep me busy for awhile, now. Melba

Posted: 26 Sep 2001 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS
Well, join the crowd, it is a subject that has absorbed a number of researches over a great many decades -- just as any genealogy will absorb us.

DAVIS is a surname that outnumbers the HOWELL surname by something like 2.5/1 to 3:1 in the USA, and yet you will run into families like the Evan Davis Sr family of Philadelphia and his famous great-grandson Jeff Davis that have few descendants of the same DAVIS surname, but otherwise many daughter lines of many surnames.

COUSINS Jeff Davis did not have, period. Evan Sr had only one child who had a child and that was his son Evan Jr, and his grandson Samuel Emory Davis [who had no Davis siblings and had only two Williams half-brothers], who had 10 children -- and yet how many of the desc. of Samuel Emory Davis bear the Davis surname?

It is easier to prove you are not related to Jeff Davis than it is to prove that you are. *grin*

Posted: 26 Sep 2001 9:48PM GMT
ON the COUSINS point:

Um, more accurately, Jeff Davis had no DAVIS cousins, but there are oodles of WILLIAMS (half-)cousins, through the lines of Samuel Emory Davis' half-brothers Daniel and Isaac Williams.

These Williams cousins (or half-cousins) are not, however, the desc. of Evan Sr and Evan Davis Jr

Thought I should clarify that point on the 'cousins' of Jeff Davis.

Samuel Emory Davis had no cousins known, certainly not through his Davis uncles or his Davis aunt -- now, whether Evan Davis SENIOR [died 1747] had brothers and sisters I do not know, and have not found any mention of them in the more reliable documentation on this Davis line -- Evan Sr mentioned none in his will, nor did the known wills of his children mention any cousins or children of their own.

And while the lack of mention in Sr Evan Davis' will does not exclude uncles, aunts and cousins, it does indicate there were none known to him, or none he was willing to acknowledge.

So this one Davis line is a stripped-down line for researchers -- and what with the usual barriers courthouse fires, floods, county partitions, state formations, misfiled records, wars, and etc., it has proved an absorbing research puzzle for many.

lonestarbr (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2013 4:56PM GMT
Do you have any records on Jane Simpson Cook's brothers and sisters and who they married. I have a Pearman family history that shows Jefferson Davis and my GGGGF Sebert Pearman were first cousins. The only connection left I can find that would show that is to find out who Jane's brothers and sisters married.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions