Search for content in message boards

GYDE of Painswick

GYDE of Painswick

Adrian Gyde (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: GYDE
I am starting to research the GYDE family name and any input/links would be appreciated. Literally, any links/references accepted. I have a copy of a substantial family tree of Gyde's in the USA/Canada and this links into Painswick in Gloucestershire where many Gydes, including my immediate family, emanate from.

Please help

Adelaide GYDE of Painswick > USA abt 1850

micmacmex113 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: gyde
My great great Grandmother Adelaide Gyde came from Painswick to the United States around 1850. I have names and dates back to 1656.

Gyde family history

DianaHeaven (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2004 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: GYDE, HEAVEN
I, too, am descended from the Gyde family, via intermarriage with a branch of the Heaven family of GLOS. Would appreciate information you have. Will also e-mail directly.

Gyde

Gaynor McDowell (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gyde, Cook, Boulton, Tanner
Is your Adelaide Gyde born 10.2.1835 Painswick died 24.2.1913 USA married Joseph France?

I descend from Gydes also and Cooks from Painswick. Our Gydes were mainly from Stroud and Minchinhampton.

I also have copies of many lines of Gydes. I have inherited my Mother's family history but I have always been interested.

If you descend from the Adelaide Gyde mentioned above then I am in contact with a lady in California who comes down a similar line. She is not on the Internet to my knowledge but if you wish I could put you in contact by snail mail.

I descend from Elizabeth Gyde married Joel Boulton who came to Australia in 1856. Her parents were George Gyde and Sarah Cook (Painswick) and George's parents were Wallis Gyde and Mary Tanner.

Elizabeth's brother Joseph Gyde migrated to New Zealand in 1856.

I am also in contact with a Gyde descendent who lives in Canada. The Gyde's are very widespread.

George Gyde( b Stroud 1773) m Sarah COOK 1794

Gaynor McDowell (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Gyde
I have taken over our family history from my Mum after her death. She has lots of information but hasn't written down a lot of her sources.

Our George Gyde was born in Stroud 14.2.1773. He married Sarah Cook 18.11.1794. Their first six children were born in Stroud and my ancestor Elizabeth Gyde was born in Fairford. Elizabeth married Joel Boulton and they migrated to Australia in 1856.

Elizabeth's brother William Gyde was born 2.3.1800 and married Hannah French. They had a William Henry and George (no middle name written down) also Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Hannah and Giles. Hannah Gyde (French) died 1856 of Tubercula Pythisis at Cromer Street, London, as did Hannah and Giles.

William Henry was born 28.4.1838 and married (1)Elizabeth Kell and (2) Annie Simmons. George Gyde was born 1825 in London and was baptised at St Pancras Old Church. He married Mary Ann Ottway 1847. He died 6.9.1893.

My Elizabeth Gyde's brother, Joseph, migrated to New Zealand about the same time that Elizabeth and Joel came to Australia. Joseph and his second wife, Mary Ann Heydon had also moved from Glous. into London, where their last five children were born, before migrating.

I know there are Gyde's in Canada and I have their information but I can't see any connection there either.

George F. Gyde > Canada 1893 (home Child)

Wanda Gyde (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Gyde
My grandfather, George F. Gyde, was sent to Canada in 1893 as a Home Child,and had no further contact with his family. He said he was born in London on Compton St. and we know he had a brother Wm. and a sister Lucy. Both siblings ended up in Can. also. Does he fit into any family history you have?

Edwin Gyde ca. 1840

suzannerosebell (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 3:41AM GMT
My great grandfather was Edwin Gyde from Stroud. I have our lineage if someone wants to update that part of the family tree.

James GYDE m Elizabeth WALKER at Painswick 1776

Posted: 13 Nov 2002 2:57AM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: Gyde, Walker
My Gyde family originated in the early 1700s in Scotland and settled around 1700 at wotton-Underedge, Glouster, England. The first ancestor I have recorded is James Gyde who married Elizabeth Walker at Painswick on 6/12/1776. Their children were Thomas (b 3/4/1777) Elizabeth (date not found) Richard (b 10/27/1780) and Charles (b 1/26/1785; d 7/12/1855). I am decended from Richard's son James who came to America and was married in 1847 in Ballville, Ohio. If you have any information prior to the first James, I would appreciate it.
Sue Bell
adhdhi@juno.com

Maria GYDE b Painswick abt 1810 m John GIBBONS London 1830

Dave Cooke (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2003 5:40PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 9:37PM GMT
Surnames: Gyde, Gibbons
Hi Adrian.
My 2x grt grandmother was Maria Gyde acording to the cencus records she was born in Painswick about 1810 though i have not found her birth or baptism, it is possible Maria was a corrupt name maybe Mary or Mary Ann. She married John Gibbons in St Dionis, Backchurch, London on4 July 1830 lots more info available if you want it.
Dave Cooke

Re: EDwin GYDE

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 11:27PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 9:36PM GMT
Surnames: GYDE
I visited Painswick in 2001 to continue researching my family. I am decended from Edwin Gyde and have some records that were submitted for estate inheritance for property in Ebley. I am anxious to correspond. My mailing address is: P.O. Box 1440, Kihei, HI 96753.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions