Search for content in message boards

History on Civil war officer named Campbell G. Henderson

C.G. Henderson

DavidHiott51 (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 May 2002 9:58PM GMT
Surnames: Hiott, Henderson
Shelley, We live in the home in Walterboro, where Col. & Mrs. Henderson once lived. He was the mayor of this town for many years [except for a 10 year hiatus when the Union occupation forces removed him and installed their own mayor]. We have a photo of him standing on the front porch of the house. There are still 2 generations of Cam. G. Hendersons living locally. This house went from the Hendersons to Florence Henderson McDaniel. Her daughter, Evelyn McDaniel Fraser [now Bryan] was the last resident here, before we bought the house in 1975.

Henderson

BadBob1369 (View posts)
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 1:13PM GMT
I didn't catch it before posting the last but I made a typo. I mentioned that the Rev. LeRoy G. Henderson was pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Walterboro, I should have typed that the Rev. LeRoy G. Henderson was pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Americus, Georgia.

Lieutenant Campbell Henderson

BadBob1369 (View posts)
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 1:13PM GMT
Surnames: Henderson
Two are at least two references that may help you. Beulah Glover's "Narratives of Colleton County South Carolina makes mention of C. G. Henderson in several places. The book first came out in 1962, the copy I have is a reprint, 1984.

There is also the series of books known as Confederate Military History The volume titled "South Carolina" by Ellison Capers came out in the late 1800's, there have been several reprints. There is a good write up in this book
about Lieutenant Campbell Gilchrist Henderson. Briefly the book points out that he was born in Walterboro, SC Feb. 21, 1839. In 1859, he graduated from South Carolina College[now USC] He entered Confederate service after the fall of Fort Sumter, enlisting in the 9th[afterwards 11th SC Infantry} and made second lieutenant of Company I. After 6 months, he enlisted in Company B, 3rd South Carolina Cavalry
and made 2nd Lieutenant.[Company B, 3rd SC Cav was known as the Colleton Rangers, this is the name of the Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp in Walterboro.] He took part in
the battles of Port Royal, Honey Hill, Pocotaligo, Rivers' Bridge, and Florence, SC. He also took part in many skirmishes in North Carolina in 1865.

In October 1863, he married Jessie Mellville Kirkwood. They had at least 4 children: Carrie[married George Fraser], Lottie, Lillie, and the Rev. LeRoy G. Henerson pastor of the
Presbyterian Church in Walterboro.

After war's end, Henderson returned to Walterboro, taught school and began the practice of law. In 188, he became master of equity of Walterboro, served a term in the state legislature. During the last year of Reconstruction, 1876,
he was a captain of a rifle club in Walterboro. He later served as a lieutenat colonel on the staff of SC governor
Hugh Thompson.

History on Civil war officer named Campbell G. Henderson

Shelley Savage (View posts)
Surnames: Henderson
We are trying to find out the history of Campbell G. Henderson a confederate soldier from Walterboro, SC, Colleton County. We have a civil war sword that has been passed down to us that belonged to him and eppelettes (sp)from his uniform. These were given to my husband by the Fraziers (sp.) Mr. Henderson was their grandfather. We want to preserve and display them in our home, but wanted to know more about him so that we can share the history. So far we have not had any luck finding out anything about him. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: History on Civil war officer named Campbell G. Henderson

Jim Dreyfuss (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2001 3:46AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Dear Mrs. Savage,
When I viewed your posting I immediately knew who your ancestor, Campbell Henderson, was. He has namesakes in Colleton County; Walterboro, specifically. As I am working on a regimental history of the Third South Carolina Cavalry, also known as Colcock's Cavalry. I can tell you that his company was formed in Walterboro, was known as the Colleton Rangers (a Sons of Confederate Veterans unit there is named for this company). He served as a 2nd Lieutenant during his entire service. He did not advance in rank beyond this officership during the war. The other officers of this company were: Arch. L. Campbell, Capt.(possibly another ancestor), 2nd Lt. then Capt. Saxby Chaplin, 2nd Lt. Stobo Perry, Jr, and AASg (this is Adjutant Sergeant, if I remember correctly) A.F. O'Bryan. I hope this helps,

Jim Dreyfuss, Ph.D.

(P.S., As I am working on this regiment's history, I would love to see the epaulets and sword by picture if possible...and maybe for inclusion in this text, with your permission, if I can ever finish it...Colcock and his men were an interesting lot). Is the Frazier family who bequethed the memorials to you related to Evelyn McDaniel Frazier Bryan who wrote "Cemeteries of Upper Colleton County"? Thank you for responding in kind. JVD

Re: History on Civil war officer named Campbell G. Henderson

newellresearch (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2013 11:08AM GMT
Dear Dr. Dreyfuss,

I recently started working on a biography of Colonel Colcock and am excited to learn of the work on the regiment. It certainly is a fascinating piece of overlooked SC history. I've love to correspond further if your available to. My email is newellresearch@gmail.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions