Search for content in message boards

Goldbergs from Russia

Goldbergs from Russia

gold4us (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2001 10:16PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2001 9:53PM GMT
Looking for any info on my great grandparents Abraham and Bella Goldberg who came to USA in 1903 from Russia. They had 9 children, max, sam, louis,morris, ceil, goldie,harry, al, and yuda. Their name was changed from ? Albrect ? from old stories I remember. They came thru Ellis Island and eventally ended up in Philadelphia shortly after. Any help is greatly appreciated. I also have some info on a Joseph and Rachael who came to philadelphia from Russia in 1901. The info is from the 1920 census for someone out there.

Re: Goldbergs from Russia

jezbel (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2002 5:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Apr 2006 5:00AM GMT
My grandfather was a "Goldberg from Russia". He was Sam. My story is similar to yours but not exact. My grandfather, as far I know, was the oldest of 11 brothers and sisters all from Russia (the Ukraine area between Poland and Russia). But perhaps there were originally 14 children. I think some didn't survive. Sam (my g.f.) was the first in the US. He subsequently brought over the others and his parents. The original name was Ivinitski but when he came through immigration his sponsor's name was Goldberg and that's what they renamed him. They all used the same name and didn't change it for decades. My father and his cousin (both Joseph Goldberg) decided to change it to Ivins to try to get into medical schools during the time of the Jewish quota. They thought Ivins sounded more "American". Some of the family stayed Goldberg.
My grandfather had brothers named Louis, Morris, Max (?) Jake. I thought there was a sister named Tibey (Tuba) and Goldy.... not sure.
Does any of this sound familiar to you? Family settled in Chester, PA initially. Then spread out to Media and Philadelphia.

biely01 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2002 2:04PM GMT
my uncle was Louis Goldberg who lived in Chester Pa. He was a wallpaper hanger, married Anna biely and moved to Atlantic City New Jersey. He had a son Jack daugther Ruth. Goldy was actually the wife of Morris Biely - parents to Anna. Hope to hear from you - steve goodman

anbec7578 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2002 10:09PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2005 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Levin, Serlin, Goldberg
My Bessie Serlin from Russia, went to Philadelphia from Ellis Island. She went to stay with her brother-in-law, Moysche Goldberg, who lived at 4th & Lewisfeld. Bessie had several sisters, one was Belle. Looking for this Goldberg family. Bessie went on to Chicago to marry Jacob Levin.
Any connections?
Janet

chaos333 (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2003 4:34PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2006 12:13PM GMT
Surnames: Goldberg, Halbreich, Galbreich, Luban, Danning, Diamondstein, Misroch
I am not sure if this connects to either Goldberg family I am looking for. One came from Russia (Rezekne area, now Latvia) and moved to NYC. This family would include a Jospeh Berl Goldberg who died in 1918 in New York. Their name probably was once Halbreich (German), was changed to Galbreich in Russia, then Goldberg in the US. His wife was Sheina Maltinsky, though I am not sure if her name changed in the US. She died in 1940 in Brooklyn. One of their children, Esther (hebrew name Menucha) married Henry Luban in Rezekne then moved to Milwaukee, perhaps via New York City. I am looking for information on Joseph Berl Goldberg and his parents and I have information on Sheina's family as well as the children of Esther/Menucha and Henry Luban's family.

The other Goldberg family came from either Russia or Poland and settled in Philadelphia. A Jennie Goldberg from there married David Danning. Jennie might have been born in Philly around 1879 and died in California in 1983. David's original name is unknown (he picked "Danning" up along the way), but he was born in the 1870's in Daugavpils, then Russia, now Latvia, left for Argentina in the 1880's, made his way to Philladelphia in the early 1900's, married Jennie Goldberg and they moved to California before 1924. He died around 1928. I have information on Jennie and David's children, but I am looking for information on Jennie's family as well as information on David's original name.

jezbel (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2005 4:17PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 17 Apr 2006 5:00AM GMT
Surnames: Ivinitski, Yvnitsky, Goldberg, Ivins, Ivens
Dear Steven;

It's taken a long time for me to find your remark to my inquiry about Goldberg from Chester, PA. I can't believe your father was Louis. I had an uncle (great Uncle Louie). My grandfather Sam Goldberg had 10 brothers and sisters. I can name them all - perhaps it will ring a bell. They were all from Russia, my grandfather was the first one over here. He married Fannie Leibman. He had two brother who married two of Fannie's sisters, Annie and Minnie. Her Aunt Beyla (Bella) Pansova married yet another brother Jake Goldberg (Ivens). About half of the brothers changed their last name to Ivins and lived in either Chester or Philly. The other half kept Goldberg (the girls married and changed their name to their spouse's).
The Goldberg (originally Ivinitski (?)) sibs names were Avrum, Shmelik, Louis, Hymie, Izzy, Morris, Jake, Goldie, Dora, Tuba (Teibe), and Sam (not in any order).
Sounds like we're cousins.....maybe!
Jesse Ivins-Upchurch
Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Ivinitski or Ivnitski from Russia became Goldberg then IVINS

jezbel (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2006 6:50AM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2011 1:45AM GMT
My grandfather imigrated from Russia in 1906. Named either Sucher or Shmuel Ivnitski (or Ivinitski/y). He entered the port of Philadelphia with a brother Leib. Both brothers went to work in a shirt factory and changed their names to more "American" sounding Goldberg. Sam and Louis Goldberg lived in Philly and married sisters, Fannie and Annie Leibman, formerly of Polonne, Russia. They moved to Chester, PA and owned grocery stores and real estate from 1917 through 1967. Fannie survived Sam and moved to Philadelphia and lived to be 98 years old, died in 1988.
Looking for relatives of Ivins, Goldberg, Leibman, Ivnitski/y.

r00tarded (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2008 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Goldberg
My Goldbergs were also from Russia and settled almost exclusively in Philadelphia.

Part of the Goldbergs are of the I.Goldberg Army Navy Surplus store that is still in existence in Center City.

Elias Goldberg (b.1863) begat Benjamin, Aaron, Edward, Harry and Mollie (no order), and Aaron (b.1886) begat Rosetta, Eddie and Betty.

Isaac Goldberg (b.1887) begat Helen, Hanna, Elise, Charles and Leonard. Isaac's father was Joseph (b.1864)

Any matchups please feel free to contact me!

-David

jezbel (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2008 8:30PM GMT
Surnames: Goldberg, Ivins, Ivens, Ivnitsky, Ivnitski, Ivinitsky
This is an update on the Goldberg family info that I've learned within the past 3 or 4 years.
My grandfather was Samuel Ivnitski (in Yiddish probably Shmuel or Sucher). He and his younger brother Louis (known as Louis, in Yiddish Leib) came to the U.S. directly to Philadelphia port of entry in 1905. I've found the ship's manifest and located their names and ages and the name of the town in Ukraine which was called Shipitovka (now Sipitivka). They actually changed their last names from Ivnitski (or Ivinitski) to Goldberg in order to get a got at a shirt factory. There was another employee willing to say Sam and Louie were his "cousins" but had to changed their name to appear to be related. They changed it to Goldberg and kept that name for decades. Sam brought over the rest of his siblings and possibly his mother to either Philadelphia or Chester, PA. In 1937 my father, J. Leonard changed his last name from Goldberg back to an "Americanized" version of Ivnitski.... to IVINS. Most of the family changed their names to Ivins, with one or two spelling it Ivens and a few keeping the Goldberg name.

Adam_Goldberg (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2010 1:36PM GMT
Surnames: GOLDBERG
My grandfather was Morris Goldberg (b 4/12/1897), who emigrated from "Russia" (possibly Kiev) in 1898-1900 to NYC. AFAIK, he had siblings Etta, Jean, Murray, Sam and Charlie (there may have been more).

Any chance my great uncle Sam is your Sam?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions