Search for content in message boards

Gleason

Gleason

deborahblowers (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2002 6:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gleason
William and Johannah Gleason were born in Ireland and came to Ct., USA before 1860. William Gleason would have been born about 1830. Johannah (maiden name unknown) born about 1838. They had 14 children. All born in Ct., US.. I don't know if they married here or in Ireland. Any info. would be appreaciated. Would love to know what county in Ireland they came from and anything else. Thankyou, Deb

Re: Gleason

Dave Boylan (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2002 9:52PM GMT
Hi Deb,

I believe I found some information about your William and Johannah Gleason in East Windsor, Connecticut. The information comes from the 1880 U.S. Census, which I have on a CD. While the census only mentions that William and Johannah came from Ireland, I can give you some tips on how to do further research to see if you can discover where in Ireland they came from.

But first, I've pasted below the 1880 census enumeration for the Gleason family and their 11 children. If William and Johannah had 14 children altogether, three may have been born after the 1880 census was enumerated, or perhaps they had children who had died prior to the census, or there may have been children of theirs who had left home by 1880.

Please see below:

Census Place: East Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut
Source: FHL Film 1254100 National Archives Film T9-0100 Page 497B

William GLEASON
Relation: Self
Sex: M
Married: M
Race: W
Birthplace: IRE
Occ(upation): Farmer
Fa: IRE Mo: IRE = Where his parents were from

Johannah GLEASON
Relation: Wife
Sex: F
Married: M
Birthplace: IRE
Occ: Keeps House
Fa: IRE Mo: IRE

John GLEASON
Relation: Son
Married: S(ingle)
Birthplace: CT
Occ: Farming

James GLEASON
Married: S
Occ: Farming

Dennis GLEASON

Martin GLEASON

Catherine GLEASON
Relation: Dau

David GLEASON

Johannah GLEASON

Ellen GLEASON

Margaret GLEASON

Hanorah GLEASON

Elizabeth GLEASON

The only other Gleason I discovered in East Windsor in the 1880 census, was a William Gleason, living in a household with a girl named Anna Ryan. This William Gleason may have also been a son to William and Johannah. That entry is next:

Census Place: East Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut
Source: FHL Film 1254100 National Archives Film T9-0100 Page 491B

Anna RYAN
Relation: Other
Birthplace: ENG
Occ: Domestic Servant
Fa: ENG Mo: ENG

William GLEASON
Relation: Other
Occ: Farm Laborer

I believe the William Gleason living with Anna Ryan may be a son to William and Johannah Gleason. You'll notice in the census return for William and Johannah that they don't have a son named William living with them, and that they don't have a child 17 years old living with them either.

Irish families usually had a son or daughter named after the parents. And while there is a daughter named Johannah in the William and Johannah Gleason household, there is no son named William, which I find quite unusual.

You'll also notice that the William Gleason living with Anna Ryan, was born in Connecticut, as were the children of William and Johannah, and that the William Gleason living with Anna Ryan, had parents born in Ireland.

Also unusual are the living arrangements between Anna Ryan and William Gleason, two unmarried teenagers living together, when that sort of thing was frowned upon in that day and age. But, because we don't know the circumstance of why they were living together, it's difficult to decipher how their living arrangements came about.

A better explanation about their living arrangements is they may have been working for a family in East Windsor, and shared rooms in section of a dwelling, or a dwelling nearby to the family they worked for. There is also a chance that Anna Ryan could have been a cousin to the William Gleason she shared the dwelling with.

By the way, you can order the 1880 census on microfilm from your local Family History Center. The film number, which is also given at the beginning of the two census returns above, is 1254100. I'll give you more information about how to order microfilms from the Mormon Church later in this email.

On another matter, to find out where your Gleasons came from in Ireland, you'll need to know where some of them died, and obtain their death certificates. The death certificates of William and Johannah, and of their 14 children, may tell you what town or towns in Ireland William and Johannah came from.

William and Johannah may have met and married in Ireland, and then sailed to America, or they may have first met in the United States.

Vital records of births, marriages, and death weren't compiled by the state of Connecticut until 1897, which means you will have to search vital records of East Windsor, to see if you can find any death records for members of the Gleason family who may have died in the town.

For the address and phone number of the East Windsor Town Clerk, the East Windsor Historical Society, and also information about the Connecticut Society of Genealogists, go to the following web page:

http://pages.prodigy.net/kathyb/e-windsr.htm

If at all possible you'll want to search for death records of the Gleason family first, especially those deaths that may have taken place later in the 20th century. Death records in the 20th century are more apt to contain information about where a person or a person's parents came from, than those in the 19th century.

But, as part of you Gleason genealogical record, you'll also want to see if you can obtain the birth records of as many of the Gleason children as possible. For their years of birth, just subtract their ages you see in the census, from the year 1880.

Also, the 1880 census return shows that William and Johannah's son John was 21 when the census was enumerated. John may have been their first child, who would have been born around 1859. That means, if William and Johannah were married in East Windsor, their marriage may have taken place around the year 1858. If you write to the East Windsor Town Clerk, ask for a marriage record of William and Johannah Gleason, married circa 1858. Town clerk's, while they won't do extensive research, will usually look one year before and one year after the year of marriage, or the years of birth you provide them.

Another option you have, which will be less expensive than ordering birth, marriage, and death certs from the town clerk of East Windsor, is to do the research yourself. You can order birth, marriage, and death records of East Windsor through your local Family History Center, which is sponsored by the Mormon Church.

The Mormon Church has microfilmed birth, marriage, and death records of East Windsor. The mircrofilmed records begin in 1758 and end in 1945, which means the film could have all the information you are looking for concerning your Gleasons.

Pasted below is information about the East Windsor vital records, followed by the number of the microfilm you can order from your Family History Center:

Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1758-1945
AuthorsEast Windsor (Connecticut). Town Clerk (Main Author)
East Windsor (Connecticut). Registrar of Vital Statistics (Added Author)

Notes: Microfilm of original records in the Town Hall, East Windsor, Connecticut.

Until 1852 records of birth, marriage, and death were kept by the Town Clerk. Beginning in 1852 records were kept by the Registrar of Vital Statistics.

Includes index to records of births, 1875-1945.

Second volume includes list of certificates of age issued to children 14 years of age or older, who were born outside East Windsor, 1885-1891.

Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1758-1945 FHL US/CAN Film

For the vital records of East Windsor, you will want to order film number 1317066. The film cost about $3.50 for a three week rental. The Family History Center sends away to the Mormon Church Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, for the film. It could take anywhere from two weeks to a month for the film to arrive at your local Family History Center.

Again, the records of death for any of the Gleasons who died in East Windsor, are more apt to tell you where William and Johannah came from in Ireland. The death record for Johannah, or any of her children who died in East Windsor, may provide you with her (Johannah's) maiden name. You'll then be able to add another surname to your pedigree.

Also, because William Gleason was a farmer, he may have purchased the land that he farmed. The Mormon Church has microfilmed land records for East Windsor, which may provide you with a land transaction that William Gleason was involved in.

Information about East Windsor Land Records, and the microfilm number of those records, follows:

Land records, 1768-1907; general index, 1768-1920
AuthorsEast Windsor (Connecticut). Town Clerk (Main Author)

NotesMicrofilm of original records in the Town Hall, East Windsor, Connecticut.

Additional indexes are found within each volume.

Subjects Connecticut, Hartford, East Windsor - Land and property

General index to v. 24-45 1835-1920 FHL US/CAN Film

Land records v. 26-27 1841-1852 FHL US/CAN Film

Land records v. 28-29 1844-1864 FHL US/CAN Film

Land records v. 30-31(p.74) 1850-1857 FHL US/CAN Film
1316295 Items 3-4

Land records 31(p.74)-33(p.258) 1853-1866 FHL US/CAN Film

Land records v.33(p.258)-34, 36(p.1-258) 1864-1877 FHL US/CAN Film

Land records v.36(258)-38(p.410) 1874-1890 FHL US/CAN Film

Because the land records cover a number of years, you'll want to order the General Index first, (film number 4160), and see if you can find a land transaction for William Gleason, and the year the transaction took place. If you do find a land transaction, you can then order the microfilm number for the land transactions that took place that year. As you notice above, I've pasted microfilm numbers of transactions that took place over the course of several years. You could just refer to one of those film numbers that matches the year William Gleason purchased the land.

If the Gleasons were Catholic, you can write or phone St. Philip Catholic Church in East Windsor, and ask how far back their parish records of baptisms, marriages, and deaths go. If the records don't go back to the mid-1880s, you can then ask what Catholic Church currently stores the records for the time period of between 1850 and 1880, when William and Johannah were most likely married (if married in East Windsor), and also the years when most of the Gleason children were born, if born in East Windsor.

See below for information about St. Philip Church:

St. Philip
150 South Main Street
East Windsor, CT 06088
PHONE #: 860-623-0408

Deb, if you have questions about any of the information in this email, please don't hesitate to write back.

All the best.

Dave Boylan

deborahblowers (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2002 1:43AM GMT
Surnames: Gleason, Farrell, Coy, Roby
Hi Dave,
Thanks so much for the address and phone #'s. The 1860 census lists a Mary, age 2, and John, age 1, with William and Johannah. I figure William Jr. came along during the next few years. It states he and Anna Ryan were living with the Wells family. He as a boarder and she as a servant. What I find strange is he is 17 and not living with his family, but older John and James are living with family. I am missing one child. In the 1910 census, living with her youngest daughter, Johannah, age 72, and a widow; it states she had 14 children and ll were still alive. She was living in Manchester Town, Ct.. She wasn't listed in the 1920 census so I figure she must have died prior. Child Dennis was a Monsignor in Stamford, Ct. Someone emailed me about him and said he was well liked and knew him personally as a child in school. I have clipping of his obit and one of my Great Grandfather, David. (I gather all were Catholic including myself) My Grandmother died last year at the age of 100. I have been reading letters and looking through her photos. I do know there was an uncle Bill referenced. Do not know if this was Bill Gleason or a Bill Farrell which is another family name. The letter was from Aunt Lizzie which leads me to believe that he was a Gleason. David, a Dr., 6th child listed in the 1880 census, (my Grandmother's father) died 1909 in Bennington, Vt.
I don't think there is a local Family history center near me as we live in Va. I will check the churches more and check with town clerks especially Manchester. I am working on my mother's side of the family so I tend to skip around. I am also restoring my grandmothers pics.. I am to the point of trying to get a death certificate for Johannah. I will try the town clerk for a possible marriage cert. 1857 because of Mary being the oldest. I very much appreciate the info. you gave me. Thankyou, Deb

Dave Boylan (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2002 2:24AM GMT
Hi Deb,

Thank you very much for your return email. If I can be any assistance with your genealogy, please don't hesitate to write back. If you find a connection to Ireland with the Gleason family, please let me know as I am pretty familiar with many Irish records, that could help you further.

Good luck with your continued research, Deb.

Dave Boylan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions