Search for content in message boards

William Henry Snider of Tuscaloosa Co., AL.

William Henry Snider of Tuscaloosa Co., AL.

CharlesSims41 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2011 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking help with further information about William Henry Snider and wife, Martha Williams, and their children.
Also am wondering about the names of the parents of William Henry Snider and any information about them.

I don't have when or where William Henry Snider was born, but suspect he was born about 1837 as his wife, Martha Williams, was born 1839. Also suspect that William Henry Snider and Martha Williams married about 1858 as their daughter, my great grandmother, Mary Jane Kennedy - nee Snider, was born 3 Feb. 1860 at or near Northport, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.

Have just learned that my great grandmother, Mary Jane Kennedy - nee Snider, was a sibling/sister to William Henry Snider, Jr., born 10 March 1862 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL.

Both William Henry Snider, Jr. and my great grandmother, Mary Jane Kennedy - nee Snider, are later found residing in Franklin County, Alabama.

Martha Snider - nee Williams (1839 - 1918) is reported as being buried in the Blue Springs Baptist Church Cemetery in Franklin County, Alabama.

I do have a copy of an article "Early County History" / "A Snider - Price - Kyser Relation" The copy of the article has a hand written note at the top "The District Nine Lexington, S.C. Thursday, June 9, 1966"
The article begins "A copy of a document, A Snider History, written for Dr. Oscar Henley Snider by his uncle, Josiah Snider, in 1895". "Josiah Snider was a son of Matthias Snider and Christinna Price, whose parents were members of old St. Martin's Lutheran Church in Dutch Fork, which stood on the river at Wyse's or Rauch's Fertry, by what became the Old Cabin Road, a little above Fort Fairchild and opposite Oswald's floating mill - three miles above the present site of Lake Murray Dam, and just above the Drehae Settlement, recent findings indicate that this Particular community was largely made up of Germans from various villages in Zweibrucken in the Palatine, mostly from the district of Meisenheim."

The article continues on further, but will just say here that the article traces the Sniders from South Carolina into Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. This has me wondering if my ancestor, William Henry Snider, was a descendant of the Sniders mentioned in the article.

Thanks in advance for any help with my quest.

Re: William Henry Snider of Tuscaloosa Co., AL.

deborahyarbrough53 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2011 1:12AM GMT
Surnames: Snider, Weaver, Kennedy
Hello.. I have been researching the Snider family mentioned in the article for A LONG TIME.. I have a large file of records that I have collected from fellow researchers. I am still working to prove the various connections.

My records show...
William Henery Snider bn 1832; died Aug 8 1864- reportedly in Richmond VA. His wife is reported to be Martha Williams. His parents are Daniel & Barbry/Barbara Weaver Snider.
Daniel was the son of John & Polly Snider, with John being the son of the mentioned Jacob & Susannah in your article.
Barbara is the daughter of Henry Weaver & Sofiah/Sophia Snider (daughter of Jacob & Susannah). Henry is the son of Henry & Eve Weaver, also of the Dutch Fork area and wagon train.
I do not see a Mary Jane listed in their children, nor do I have records for a Kennedy md a Snider or vice versa.

Joycesamples62 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2012 12:07AM GMT
In all of your Snider records do you show a NANCY SNIDER born in SC maried MATTHEW SMITH 5-10-1840 in Calhoun co. Al. child Vinie Adeline Smith b. 3-6-1850 Ga., maried Thomas Jefferson Samples , child Mary Mollie Smith b 1867 al. married Samuel Otwell?
joycesamples@tds.net

Joyce Samples

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 7:20PM GMT
You have more information than is in my file about Barbara Weaver. My file does not include the name of her parents.
In my filer is that she was born 22 June 1810 in South Carolina - probably Lexington District. She died 1898 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. She is buried in the Snider Cemetery located off Keene's Mill Road.
She married Daniel Snider on 26 April 1828 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.

I don't find the article of reference in my file, so can't respond to that.

However, do have copies of a letter dated in 1976 from a relative, Ruby (Scales) Ford, writing about Daniel Snider and wife, Barbara Weaver, and their eleven children.
Also census enumerations of 1830, 1840 and 1860 of Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. Also, 1860 of Tishimingo County, Mississippi.
The letter from Ruby (Scales) Ford also includes reference to John Snider and wife, Mary Hopkins?.
She, Ruby (Scales) Ford writes in her letter that she is a granddaughter of Leonard Washington Snider and wife, Laura Ann Kyzer. Leonard Washongton Snider (1848-1928) was a son of Daniel Snider (1808-1890) and wife, Barbara Weaver (1810-1898).

With my mot finding the article of reference, it is difficult for me to follow some of the information included in the letter from Ruby (Scales) Ford, but it appears she is also writing about Jacob Snider and wife, Susan or Susannah, a widow came to Alabama from Lexington District, South Carolina about 1800 or 1810 and settled in Tuscaloosa County. She was injured in a fall from her horse and I've heard or read from somewhere that she was buried near Peterson, Alabama. However, one of my cousins said she wasn't able to find any trace of the grave when she searched several years ago.
A note is written next to this part, "She was a mid-wife and rode horseback for miles at times".
The letter from Ruby (Scales) Ford continues, These are her children, or some of them:
John Snider
Matthew or Matthias Snider - went to Monroe or Pike County.
Jacob Snider
Henry Snider
Peggie Snider - married Henry Weaver
Zachariah(?)Snider.

The letter from Ruby (Scales) Ford continues, My mother, Berdie (Snider) Scales lived to be 89. She was born and lived her life at the home where her father was born and he died at age 81. They are buried in the Snider Cemetery near me.

End of that which I'll include from the 1976 letter.

In my file is a certified copy of the marriage record for Henry Snider and wife, Martha Williams - 5 May 1859.
Marriage performed by Benjamin Johnson, Justice of the Peace.
Ref: Tuscaloosa County Marriage book Aug. 17, 1855 - May 10, 1959.

In my file I show that Henry Snider was born 1832 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama and died 8 Aug. 1864 in Richmond County, Virginia. He married Martha W. Williams on 5 May 1859 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, a daughter of Luke Williams and wife, Fannie.
She, Martha W. (Williams) Kennedy / Newell, is buried in the Blue Springs Baptist Church Cemetery located between Newburg and Phil Campbell, Franklin Co., AL.
Two children born to Henry Snider and wife, Martha W. Williams, as follows:

1) Mary Jane Snider
b. 3 Feb. 1860 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL.
d. 9 Nov. 1932 Ethridge, Lawrence Co., TN.
buried in the Gray Rock Baptist Church Cemetry located between Newburg & Phil Campbell, Franklin Co., AL.
Her gravemarker is inscribed with her name and dates.
m. abt. 1800 at or near Northport, Tuscaloosa Co., AL.
husband: David William Kennedy
b. 1 Aug. 1855 at or near Northport, Tuscaloosa Co., AL.
d. 18 April 1929 Lawrenceburg, Lawrence Co., TN.
buried in the Gray Rock Baptist Church Cemetery located between Newburg & Phil Campbell, Franklin Co., AL.
His gravestone is inscribed with his name and dates.
I have a photo of the gravestone for David & wife, Mary Jane (Snider) Kennedy. Also have a certified copy of the death records of David William Kennedy and of his, widow, Mary Jane (Snider) Kennedy.

2) Willam Henry Snider
b. 10 March 1862 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL.
d. date & place unknown to me.
m. 26 July 1893 in Franklin Co., AL.
wife: Fannie Childs Clay
b. 26 Jan. 1874
This couple had eleven (11) children, all born in Franklin Co., AL.
I've had written contact with at least one descendant. Also have dates of birth for all eleven children.

After the death of Henry Snider, his widow, Martha W. (Williams) Snider, married Rev. Thomas Ditt Newell abt. 1865 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL. and they had four (4) Children.
I've names and some data on those children.
Rev. Thomas Ditt newell and wife, Martha W. (Williams) Snider / Newell are both buried in the Blue Springs Baptist Church Cemetery located between Newburg and Phil Campbell, Franklin Co., AL.

It has been some time since I worked on Snider ancestry, so could stand to search for even further documentation.

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 7:34PM GMT
I don't have the source listed, but suspect it was my cousin, Grady Kennedy, deceased. On a family group record form is listed that John Snider and wife, Mary Hopkins?, of Lexington Dist., S.C. did have a daughter named Nancy Snider, probbaly born in Lexington Dist., S.C.
No date of birth is given for the children, except for Daniel Snider, born abt. 1808. If that is correct, and if the order of birth of the children is correct, Nancy could have been born abt. 1820, so possibly married abt. 1840.

Not really much to go on here, but possibly a clue ot two for you to research.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any success.

deborahyarbrough53 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2012 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: Snider, House
My records reference Nancy daughter of John & Mary of TUscaloosa County was born abt 1822, married 1837 to Benjamin House and died 1844. He died abt 1842.

rhonda36879 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2012 5:13AM GMT
Surnames: Snider, Otwell
Alabama Deaths for james William Otwell

name: James William Otwell
titles & terms (original):
titles & terms (standardized):
death date: 26 Apr 1942
death place: Anniston, Calhoun, Alabama
race (original): white
race (standardized): White
age at death: 52y 6m 14d
estimated birth date:
birth date: 12 Oct 1889
birthplace: Cleburne, Alabama
marital status: Married
spouse's name: Geneva Otwell
spouse's titles & terms (original):
spouse's titles & terms (standardized):
father's name: S. H. Otwell
father's titles & terms (original):
father's titles & terms (standardized):
father's birthplace: Alabama
mother's name: Mollie Smith
mother's titles & terms (original):
mother's titles & terms (standardized):
mother's birthplace: Alabama
street address: 217 East F St.
residence: Anniston, Calhoun, Alabama
cemetery: Union Hill
burial place: Ranburne, Cleburne, Ala.
burial date: 29 Apr 1942
funeral home:
informant:
additional relatives: X
film number: 1908613
reference number: cn 7060

clarkl33 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2013 6:01AM GMT
a little late
william henry snider was my grandfather's name
born Tuscaloosa, alabama, 1862
died The Dalles, Oregon 1930 (grave marker)also reported as 1938

sister Mary Snider
son Garnet Snider, my father

looks like his father )William Henry) was Henry Snider, born about 1832, died in Civil war about 1864, in Virginia, 4th infantry. Henry Snider married Martha williams, born 1839, May 5, 1859

ancestry does seem to go back to Orangeberg, South Carolina

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 9:07PM GMT
Hello Lynn,

Thank you for responding. Since my post of 2011, I've managed to discover further family information which enabled me to fill in many of the blank spaces on the family group record forms.
I didn't have the 4th Alabama Infantry, but do show that Henry Snider died at Richmond, Virginia on 8 Aug. 1864.

I do show that Martha Williams was born abt. 1839/40 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL. and died 1918 at or near Phil Campbell, Franklin Co., AL. She is buried in the Blue Springs Baptist Church Cemetery located a short distance from Newburg, Franklin Co., AL.
My wife and I have been to her grave site and may have taken a snapshot of the gravestone. One of my dad's sibling/sisters that died young is also buried in that same cemetery. The name on her gravestone is Lawsey Sims, daughter of J.T. & S.J. Sims.

I have a copy of a letter written Nov. 27 (c.1892) by Martha(Williams) Snider /Newell, widow of Henry Snider. The letter begins "Dear mother" It is written to Barbara Snider, widow of Daniel Snider. So actually would be properly began by writing Dear Mother-In-Law.
The hand written heading on the letter is "November the 27 from Franklin Co. Ala"
In the letter is mention of D. W Kennedy and W. H. Snider.

I'm thinking that Garnet was named after the Dejarnett family. However, could be wrong about that.
It has been a while since I researched my Dejarnett ancestry, but do Know that my ancestor Maxfield Kennedy, Jr.'s wife was Sarah Davis Dejarnett and that one of their sons was named Elias Dejarnett Kennedy. Also know that my great grandparents, David William Kennedy, and wife, Mary Jane Snider, named one of their sons Elias Dejarnett Kennedy. He became better known as Jarnet Kennedy.

My great grandparents, David Willaim Kennedy, and wife, Mary Jane (Snider) Kennedy, are both buried in the Gray Rock Baptist Church Cemetery. Now is the Gray Rock Methodist Church. It is located a very short distance from the Blue Springs Baptist Church and Cemetery, actually closer to the very small community of Newburg, Franklin Co., AL.
However, Phil Campbell, Franklin Co., AL. is the nearest town of any size at all.

By the way, I'm not a paying subscriber to Ancestry.com, so can't respond there. It is easier for me to respond when messages are sent directly to my e-mail address: c.p.sims@att.net

taramanning77 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2014 5:01PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2014 5:07PM GMT
After following a trail of census records it appears that William Henry and Fannie C. Clay are my direct descendants, but I have little to no information on them because my 'Snider' father is estranged from my family. Thomas Snider was my grandfather and his father was Jessie Marshall Snider(a child of William H.), It is very exciting to read any information about my ancestors here.Thank you for posting this.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions