Search for content in message boards

John SWINFORD b abt 1754 NC

John SWINFORD b abt 1754 NC

carolynegould (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2003 3:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Dec 2003 2:18PM GMT
Surnames: Swinford, Crackow, McCrackin, Davis, Watson, McCaslin, Nordin
I tried to post a five generation Family history report here, but it was too big. Here's some of what I have on this John's line as of today:

1 John Sr. SWINFORD [1]
—————————————————————————————————————————————
Birth: abt 1754, North Carolina
Death: bet 1811-1819, Newberry Co., South Carolina
Father: Father of John, Phillip, Samuel SWINFORD

The family bible of Martha Swinford, daughter of James Swinford, son of Jonathan Crackow Swinford, identifies the father of Jonathan Crackow as “James.” The Bible was severely damaged, but part of the marriage page remains and was photocopied. It is based on this bible record, and the other data shown, that John Swinford of North Carolina is listed as the father of James, who is the father of Jonathan Crackow Swinford.

Jim Swinford says the earliest generation of John Swinford in Newberry Co. is recorded in the 1779 Jurors List (Ninety-Six District) and had a 200-acre land grant platted in 1784 south of Whitmire, SC, in return for his Revolutionary War militia service. Descendants of this Newberry Co, SC line who are active on the Internet include Jo Graf and Jean Boldt. The Swinford name (male line) disappeared from SC around 1840. Male descendants moved to Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama.

Notes: On 1779 Census in the Old 96th District of South Carolina #531; also, on the 1790 Census of Newberry District, SC. (From: James Swinford - jswinford@worldnet.att.net

"I mentioned the town of Whitmire in Newberry Co., SC. In 1784, John, Samuel and Philip Swinford each received small land grants (40 to 200 acres) south of Whitmire as payment for their services in the Revolutionary War. The sons and grandsons, etc., moved to Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, etc."

Children and dates based on the censuses of Newberry County, SC for 1790 and 1800. Also, the Probate records of Samuel Swinford & Isaac Swinford and the land deed of John Swinford Sr. to James --- listed in the "Newberry County, South Carolina: Historical and Genealogical Annals” by
George Leland Summers, Sr. Page 386.

Land sale for John Swinford to Isaac Swinford State of South Carolina Newberry District:
Know all men by these present that I, John Swinford resident of said State and District of Newberry for and in consideration of the love and good will I have for my son Isaac Swinford of the District and State aforesaid have granted, bargained, given and released unto the said Isaac Swinford, my son, all and singular all that tract and parcel of land lying on the waters of Duncans Creek joining the land now belonging to William Shell, Alexander Abrams, Col. Benjamin Herndon & Levi Swinford including the land and plantation whereon I now live and likewise where the said Isaac Swinford now lives containing fifty acres more or less being part of the plantation with the house where I now live and hath such shape and forms as the annexed plat describes. Together with all and singular the rights members Hereditaments and appurtenances to the said premises belonging or in any wise incident or appertaining to have and to hold all and singular the premises before mentioned unto the said Isaac Swinford his hears and assigns forever and I do hereby bind myself, my heirs, Executors & Administrators to warrant and forever defend all and singular the said premises unto the said Isaac Swinford his heirs and assigns against myself my heirs and against every person whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the same or any part thereof.

Witness my hand and seal this Twenty third day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fourteen and thirty ninth year of American Independence Signed, seal & delivered for the presence of:
Charles A. King       John Swinford James Williams Joseph Hughes

South Carolina Newberry District}
Personally appeared before me Capt. James Williams and being duly sworn as the law directs saith on his oath that he saw the within deed signed, sealed and delivered for the purposes within mentioned and that himself together with Charles A. King & Joseph Hughes in the personal of each other was subscribing witnesses to the same sworn to and subscribed before me this 26th May 1815
Robert McCrackin Esq.
James Williams
Record this 11th Sept 1815 Y. I. Harrington

Land Sale of Philip Swinford
The State of South Carolina
Know all men by these present that I, Philip Swinford of Newberry District within the state aforesaid in consideration of one hundred dollars to me paid by Isaax Hersey of Newberry District and in the state aforesaid (planter) have granted, bargained and released and by these present do grant, bargain all and release unto the said Isaac Hersey all that plantation or tract of land containing small draft of Duncans Creek originally granted to him the said Philip Swinford the 7th day of July one thousand eight hundred together with all and singular the rights members hereditaments and appertaining to have and to hold all and singular the premises before mentioned unto him the said Isaac Hersey his heirs and assigns forever and I do hereby bind myself, my heirs, executors and administrators to warrant and forever defend all and singular the premises before mentioned unto Isaac Hersey, his heirs and assigns against myself and my heirs and against every person whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the same or any part thereof. Witness my hand and seal this seventh day of January one thousand eight hundred and four in the twenty eighth year of the Independence of the United States of America. Signed, sealed and delivered in presence of: 
Philip Swinford John Speak, John W. Ellorries

South Carolina Newberry District} I, Young I. Harrington, Justice of Quorum, do hereby certify unto all whom it may concern, that Dorcas Swinford did this day appear before me and upon being privately and separately examined by me did declare that she does freely, voluntarily and without any compulsion, dread fear of any person or persons whomsoever warrants release and forever relinquish to the within named Isaac Hersey, his heirs and assigns all her interest and estate and also all her right and claim of dower of in or to all and singular the premises within mentioned and released given under my hand and seal this 18 day of May 1819. Dorcas (her mark X) ?
Y.I. Harrington Q.U.

South Carolina Newberry District} Personally appeared before me Col. John Speak and made oath that he saw Philip Swinford sign, seal and deliver the within deed of conveyance for the uses and purposes therein mentioned and that he with John W. Ellorries in the presence of each other witnessed the due execution thereof Sworn this 18 day of May 1819.
before me: C. ? J.P.       John Speak
A true record made May 18, 1819
Y.I. Harrington, Register

Note: Dorcas signed with her maiden name. I can not make it out looks something like Rikby, but can not be sure. I can not read the last name of the J.P. either.

Land Deed of Eli Swinford
Plat Book J Page 229
State of South Carolina
Know all men by these present, that I, Joseph Cooper of Union County in the state aforesaid and Newberry District for the consideration of three hundred dollars to me in hand, made by Eli Swinford of Newberry County and state aforesaid have granted, bargained, sold and released and by these present do grant, bargain, sell & release unto the said Eli Swinford all that tract of land containing two hundred and sixty acres more or less, bordering Swinford land & hence bound William Sargent land & hence bound on Trowedge land ? from corner and hence 140 E 55 beyond corner to Swinford land with all and singular rights, members, hereditarily and appertencances to the said premises belonging or in anywise incident or appertaining to have and hold all and singular the premises before mentioned unto the said Eli Swinford, his heirs and assigns forever. I do hereby bind myself, my heirs, executor, administrator to warrant and forever defend all and singular the said premises unto the said Eli Swinford, his heirs and assigns and against myself and my heirs or having any claim of the same or any part thereof witness my hand and seal this 10th of May 1804 in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and four. Signed, sealed and delivered in the presents of us.
          his
Jacob X Rhodes           Joseph Cooper
        mark
John W. Bennett

South Carolina Newberry District - Personally appeared John W. Bennett who being duly sworn on oath saith that he saw Joseph Jones sign, seal and deliver the within deed to Eli Swinford for the purposes therein mentioned as his act and deed and that he also saw Jacob Rhodes subscribe his name as a subscribing witness to these examiners thereof sworn to and subscribed before me this 25th September 1809. David ? J.P.
    John W. Bennett

Land Deed of James Swinford
Plat Book M Page 182
South Carolina Newberry District } Know all men by these present, that I, James Swinford of the state and district aforesaid for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred & fifty dollars to me in hand paid by John Swinford of said South Carolina Newberry District have granted, bargained, sold and released and by these present, doth grant, bargain, sell and release unto the said John Swinford all that tract and parcel of land situate in the district of Newberry & state of South Carolina land on the western of Duncan Creek, selling all land of the claim shall and Isaac Swinford, John Swinford and John Hughes including land & situate as wherever said James Swinford acknowledges of fifty one acres be the land more or less and has such stated forever a the annexed, ? represents & describes; together with all and singular the rights, members, hereditarily and appertenances to the said premises belonging or in anywise incident or appertaining to have acknowledged and singular the premises before mentioned claim to the said John Swinford his heirs and assigns forever do hereby bind myself, my heirs ? to warrant & for each to defend all & singular the said premises unto the said John Swinford by heirs & assigns against myself, my heirs & assigns against every person whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the same or any part thereof witness my hand & seal this 25th day of January in the year of our Lord 1816.
                                   his
Benj. Herndon         James S Swinford
Thomas Whitmire                 mark
(Note: the S in the middle of Swinford, is simply how he made his mark and not his intial.)

Spouse: Betsy [1]
Birth: abt 1754, North Carolina
Death: bet 1811-1819, Newberry Co., South Carolina
Marr: abt 1773, North Carolina

Children: Isaac (~1774-1819)
John Jr. (~1774->1819)
daughter of John & Betsy (1784-)
daughter of John & Betsy (~1785-)
Levi (1790-)
son of John & Betsy (~1791-)
son of John & Betsy (~1791-)
daughter of John & Betsy (1800-)
James (~1770-1853)

1.1 Isaac SWINFORD [1]
Birth: Bet 1774-1784
Death: 1819, Newberry Co., South Carolina

1.2 John Jr. SWINFORD [1]
Birth: Bet 1774-1784
Death: aft 1819, Newberry Co., South Carolina

1.3 daughter of John & Betsy SWINFORD [1]
Birth: 1784

1.4 daughter of John & Betsy SWINFORD [1]
Birth: Bet 1785-1790

1.5 Levi SWINFORD [1]
Birth: 1790, Newberry Co., South Carolina

18 Sep 1817
Administrative Bond of Isaac Swinford
South Carolina, Newberry District }

Know all men by these Presents, That we Levi Swinford, Sarah Swinford, John Hughes and James Williams are holden and firmly bound unto James Farnandis Esquire, Ordinary for the District of Newberry in the full and just sum of six hundred Dollars, to be paid to the said James Farnandis or his successors, Ordinaries of this District, or to their certain Attorney or Assigns. To which payment well and truly to be made, we bind ourselves, and every of us, our and every of our Heirs, Executors and Administrators, for the whole, and in the whole, jointly and severally, firmly by these Presents.

Sealed with our Seals, and dated the 18th day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventeen and in the forty second year of American Independence.

The Condition of the above Obligation is such, That if the above-bound Levi Swinford and Sarah Swinford Administratrix and Administrator of the goods, chattels, and credits of Isaac Swinford deceased, do make a true and perfect inventory of all and singular the goods, chattels, and credits of the said deceased, which have or shall come to the hands, possession, or knowledge of the said Levi and Sarah or into the hands or possession of any other person, or persons, for them and the same so made, do exhibit into the said Court of Ordinary, for Newberry District when they shall be thereunto required, and such goods, chattels, and credits, do well and truly Administer according to law, and do make a just and true account of their actings and doings therein, when required by the said Court; and all the rest of the said goods, chattels, and credits, which shall be found remaining upon the account of the said Administration, sons respectively, as are entitled to the same by law; and if it shall hereafter appear that any last Will and Testament was made by the said deceased, and the same be proved in Court, and the executors obtain a certificate of the probate, thereof, and the said Levi and Sarah do in such case, if required, render and deliver up the said letters of Administration, then this obligation to be void, or else to remain in full force.

Signed, Sealed and Delivered in the presence of }          
                                  his
George Duefern         Levi -- Swinford
                                  mark
            her
 Sarah -- Swinford
           mark
John Hughes
James Williams

Warrant of Appraisement
By JAMES FARNANDIS, Esq. Ordinary.
These are to authorise and empower you, or any three or four of you whose names are hereunder written, to repair to all such parts and places within the State, as you shall be directed unto by Levi Swinford and Sarah Swinford Administratrix and Administrator of all and singular the Goods, Rights and Credits of Isaac Swinford late of the district aforesaid deceased, wheresoever any of the goods and chattels of the said deceased are, or do remain within the said parts and places, and which shall be shewn unto you by the said Levi and Sarah Swinford and there view and appraise all and every the said goods and chattels, being first sworn on the Holy Evangelists of Almighty God, to make a true and perfect inventory and appraisement thereof, and to cause the same to be returned under your hands, or any three of four of you, to the said Levi and Sarah Swinford on or before the first day of October now next
ensuing. Dated the Eighteenth day of September Anno Domini 1817 and in the forty second year of American Independence. James Farnandis OND

To Barruck Odell, Jonathan Rhodes Senior, John Rhodes and Jacob Casey or any three or four of them.

ORDINARY'S OFFICE
Memorandum. This 30th day of September 1817 personally appeared before me Benj. Tuckett Esquire, one of the Justices assigned to keep the peace in Newberry district, Barruck Odell, John Rhodes, Jacob Casey being three of the appraisers appointed to appraise the goods and chattels of Isaac Swinford deceased: who being duly sworn, made oath, that they would make a just and true appraisement of all and singular the goods and chattels (ready money only excepted) of Isaac Swinford deceased, as shall be produced by Levi and Sarah Swinford Administratrix of the estate of the said Isaac Swinford deceased, and that they would return
the same certified under their hands unto the said James Farnandis Ordinary, within the time prescribed by law.
Benj. Tuckett J.P. Barruck
Odell John Rhodes
J. Casey

Letters of Administration
By JAMES FARNANDIS, Esq. Ordinary
To Levi Swinford and Sarah Swinford

Whereas Isaac Swinford late of the district aforesaid deceased, lately died intestate, having whilst he lived, and at the time of his death, divers goods, rights and credits within the state aforesaid; by means whereof the full disposition and power granting the administration of all and singular the goods, rights, and credits of the said deceased, and also auditing the accounts, calculations, and reckonings of the said administration, and a final dismission of the same, to me is manifestly know to belong. I desiring that the goods, rights, and credits of the said deceased may be well and truly administered, converted, and disposed of, do hereby grant unto Levi and Sarah Swinford in whose fidelity in this behalf I very much confide, full power, by the tenor of these presents, to administer the goods, rights and credits of the said deceased, which to him in his life time, and at the time of his death did belong; and to ask levy, recover, and receive the same, and to pay the debts in which the deceased stood obliged so far forth as his goods, rights and credits will extend, according to their rate and order of law, being first sworn on the Holy Evangelists of Almighty God, to make a true and perfect inventory thereof, and to exhibit the same into the Ordinary's Office in Newberry District, in order to be recorded, on or before the 18th day of December now next ensuing; and to render a just and true account, calculation, and reckoning of the said administration when thereunto required: And I ordain, depute and constitute you the said Levi and Sarah Swinford Administratrix and Administrator of all and singular the goods, rights, and credits of the said deceased.
James Farnandis ODN

Land Deed of Levi Swinford
Plat Book O Page 31
Know all men by these presents, that I, Levi Swinford of Newberry District in the state aforesaid in consideration of two hundred dollars to me paid by Barruck O'Dell of the district & state aforesaid, have granted, bargained, sold and released & by these present, do grant, bargain, sell & release unto the said Barruck O'Dell, all that plantation or tract of land, lying and situate in Newberry District (being a tract or conveyance to me by my father, John Swinford by deed bearing date the 28th day of December 1814) containing fifty acres (more or less) and bounded at the time of the execution of the said deed by lands of John Rhodes, John Swinford, Isaac Swinford & Isaac Henry.

Together with all and singular the rights, members, hereditarily and appertenances to the same belonging or in anywise incident or appertaining, to have and to hold all and singular the premises above mentioned unto the said Barruck O'Dell, his heirs and assigns forever. And I do hereby bind myself, my heir, executors & administrators to warrant and forever defend all an singular the said premises unto the said Barruck O'Dell his heirs and assigns against myself & my heirs and against every person whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the above for any part thereof.

Witness my hand and seal this third day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty three, and in the forty seventh year of the Independence of the United States of America.
Signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of his
Elisha Rhodes         Levi X Swinford
S.C. Hargrove                   mark
These words by deed underlined before signed I, James Flanagan one of the Justices of the Quorum do hereby in my presence & that Elisha Rhodes & S. C. Hargrove. Subscribed by James Flanagan

South Carolina Newberry District } I, James Flanagan, one of the Justices of the Quorum, do hereby certify unto all whom it may concern, that Betsy Swinford, the wife of the within named Levi Swinford, did this day appear before me & upon being privately & separately examined by me did declare that she does freely & voluntarily, without any compulsion. dread or fear of any person or persons whomsoever, renounce, release & forever relinquish unto the within named Barruck O'Dell, his heirs and assigns, all her interests & estate & also all her rights and claim of dowry of, in & to all and singular the premises, within named and released. Given witness my hand and seal this twenty ninth day of March Anno Dominic 1826

her
James Flanagan         Betsy X Swinford
                                  mark
A land record this 4th day of April 1826. Taken Y. I. Harrington Reg.

Spouse: Sarah [1]

1.6 son of John & Betsy SWINFORD [1]
Birth: bet 1791-1800

1.7 son of John & Betsy SWINFORD [1]
Birth: Bet 1791-1800

1.8 daughter of John & Betsy SWINFORD [1]
Birth: 1800

1.9 James SWINFORD [1]
Birth: abt 1770, North Carolina
Death: 3 Jan 1853, McMinn Co., Tennessee

1820 Newberry SC Census

James Swinford
b) 1770-1775
Polly
b) 1780-1794
male b) 1804-1810 Jonathan
3 males b) 1810-1819
female b) 1804-1810
female b) 1810-1819

1830 McMinn TN Census
James age 60-70
Polly age 50-60
male age 10-15
male age 5-10
2 males under 5
female age 20-30
female age 5-10
2 females under 5

Deed of James and Polly C. Swinford
Page 183
South Carolina} I, Robert M. Crackow Esquire Newberry District} one ? the titles of the ? for the District afficiado do hereby certify that this day, Polly Swinford, the wife of the within named, James Swinford, personally appeared before me and there being privately and separately examined by me and does declare that she freely, voluntarily & without any Counsel, in discord or fear of any person or persons whomsoever renounces, releases & forever relinqush and the within John Swinford's fee; given & ? all her right, title & claim of dower of ? all and singular her ? within ? and release given under sign & seal this 27th
April 1816.
Robert M. Crackow Esquire Polly C, Swinford

South Carolina } Personally appeared before me Newberry District} Solo Benjamin Herndon and being sworn as the law duley doeth on by oath that he was personally present and saw the within deed signed & sealed and delivered for the purpose within mentioned and that himself together with Thomas Whitmore in presence of each other was subscribing ? to thesame sworn to and subscribed before me the 27th April 1816.
Robert M. Crackiw Esq. Benj. Herndon
A true record this 21st September 1818
Attest Y.J. Harrington Regr.

State of South Carolina Newberry District}
Know all men by these present that I, John Swinford ? of deed of State & District of Newberry for and in consideration of the love & good will I have for my beloved son, James Swinford of the District of Union & State aforesaid & have granted, bargained and given and released him to the said, James Swinford, my son all that tract of parcels of land lying in said District of Newberry on the waters of Duncan Creek under the law now belonging to Thomas Price, James Swinford, John Swinford and John Hugley including his land contained in the annexed plat describes together and singular the right members hereditarily and apportionately to the said premises belonging not in anywise accident or apportiionatley to have & to hold all & singular the premises before auctioner unto the said James Swinford, his heirs and ? forever and I do
hereby bind myself very ??? to warrant and for each defend all and singular said premises unto said James Swinford, his heirs and ? against myself, named Thomas Price sign, seal & deliver the within deed for the use and purpose therein mentioned and that ? of Paler Kerr, subscribes their claims to the same sworn to this 1st day of May A. D. 1818
?? Lee   A. Cronics Jr.

South Carolina Newberrry District
I, ? J. Harrington, one of the ? of the ? do hereby certify unto all whom it may concern, that Jane Price, the wife of the within Thomas Price did this day appear before me & whom being privately and separately examined by me did declare that she does freely, voluntarily
& without any compulsion, dread for fear of any person or persons whomsoever renounces, releases and forever relinquish unto the within named William Yarborough heirs or ? all her interest & estate and also all her right & claim of dower of in or to all & singular the premises
within mentioned releases given under the law & seal this 17 September 1818.
Jane Price   Y. J. Harrington
A true record the 18th Sept. 1818
Attest Y. J. Harrington Regr.

South Carolina} Know all men by these present Newberry District} that I, James Swinford of the State and District aforesaid for and in consideration of the sums of one hundred & fifty dollars to me in and paid by John Swinford of said South Carolina in Newberry District have
granted, bargained, sold and released an by these present, doth grant bargain, sell and release unto the said John Swinford all that tract and parcels land located in District of Newberry & State of South Carolina on the waters of Duncan Creek being the land of the claim I hold and Isaac Swinford, John Swinford and John Hugley including the land I ? whomever said James Swinford show leins of fifty one acres be the same more or less and for each ? ? ? as the annexed, that represents describes; together with all and singular the right members hereditarily and ? to the said singular the premises before mentioned State the said John Swinford, his heirs and ? for each, do hereby bind myself, my heirs ? ? for each defend all & singular the said premises unto the said John Swinford, his heirs & ? against myself, my heirs & ? against every persons whomsoever lawfully claiming to claim the same or any part thereof entirely. Sign and seal this 25th day of January in this year of our Lord 1815.
Benj. Herndon     James Swinford
Thomas Whitmore

Spouse: Polly A. Mc CRACKIN (CRACKOW?) [1]
Marr: abt 1803, Newberry Co., South Carolina

Children: daughter of James & Polly (~1804-)
Jonathan Crackow (1806-1881)
son of James & Polly (~1810-)
daughter of James & Polly (~1810-)

1.9.1 daughter of James & Polly SWINFORD [1]
Birth: bet 1804-1810

1.9.2a Jonathan Crackow SWINFORD* [1]
Birth: 6 Dec 1806, Newberry Co., South Carolina
Death: 20 Nov 1881, Lolla Branch (Boyd), Wise Co., Texas
Burial: Friendship Cemetery, Boyd, Wise Co., Texas

SWINFORD, JONATHAN
State: TN
Year: 1830
County: McMinn County
Record Type: Federal Population Schedule
Township: No Township Listed
Page: 167
Database: TN 1830 Federal Census Index, Ancestry.com

Jonathan Swinford age 20-30. He has males:
under 5 5-10 10-15 15-20
2 1 1 0

Females:   20-30

Levi Swinford: age 30-40. He has males:
under 5 5-10 10-15 15-20
1                     1 0 0

Females:  
under 5          5-10 10-15 15-20 20-30 30-40
2 1 0 1 0 1

James Swinford: age 60-70. He has males:

under 5 5-10 10-15 15-20         20-30          30-40 40-50 50-60 60-70
2 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1

Females:
under 5 5-10 10-15 15-20 20-30 30-40 40-50
2 1 0 0 1 1 1

1860 Census, Williamsville, Adair, MO dated 9 Jul
J. C. Swinford age 57 born SC
Wife, Martha age 60 born SC
Listed as farm laborer

Per Lynn Erwin, a newspaper dated 16 Dec. 1881 states Parson Swinford’s father died recently on Lolla Branch. Parson Swinford would be Levi Swinford.

[2]1880 U.S. Census, Upper Crawford, Arkansas
Jonathan Swinford, self, male, white, age 78, birthplace SC, occupation farmer; father’s birthplace SC; mother’s birthplace SC.
Letha Ann, wife, female, white, 46, TN, keeps house, VA, VA
Mary E., daughter, single female, white 1, SC, TN

--------

In the "Goodspeed Biographies and Historical Memoirs of N. W. Arkansas" Washington County Page 312:
Jonathan C. Swinford is listed as a helper that organized the "Valley View Baptist Church" in Washington Co., AR on 20 Jun 1877. Located on Lees Creek about 2 miles north of the Crawford Co., AR line.

In Missouri: "Missouri Pioneers" by Hodges Vol. 16, Lists Elijah, Sarah and Jonathan Swinford.
In the "New London Baptist Church" of Ralls Co., MO (Book 1840-1867) Lists members including Elijah, Sarah and Jonathan Swinford.

Williamsville, Adair, MO dated 9 Jul 1860.
There we find:
J. C. Swinford age 57 born SC
Wife, Martha age 60 born SC
James Swinford age 27 born TN
Wife, Sophia age 30 born TN
Jonathan age 8 born TN
Nancy age 7 born MO
Newton age 5 born MO
Martha age 3 born MO
Elijah Swinford age 25 born TN
Susannah age 20 born KY
Rebecca age 2 born MO
All men were listed as farm laborers

Spouse: Martha “Patsy” DAVIS [1]
Death: 6 Jan 1892, Fannin Co., Texas
Birth: abt 1 Oct 1806, Tennessee or Burke Co., Georgia
Father: Blanford DAVIS (1749-<1814)
Mother: Ellinor
Marr: 10 Dec 1828 [3], [4]

Children: Isaac (1822->1870)
Levi (1826-1906)
Jeremiah B. (~1829-<1860)
James (1830-1863)
Abner C. (1833-1908)
Elijah “Lige” (1835-1870)

Other spouses: Leathy Ann WATSON, McCASLIN, NORDIN

Pre-Revolutionary John in NC?

Jim Swinford (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2003 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Swinford, Doan, Adams, Thompson, Selves
Awesome work on the Newberry SC guys. Similar to what I got in the courthouse back in the late 1970s. Did you go there?
This Bible citation is a new path. In NC, the earliest Swinford I found was James in maybe 1779 (confusing land dates) - this guy had come down from MD where his oldest soon, Josias (I think vulgarized into Joshua) was born. I don't know where this John would fit in, as James seems to have had a much younger son, John Doan, born in early-mid 1770s.
Could you fax a copy of this Bible page to me at (317) 346-3013? Thanks!

Re: Pre-Revolutionary John in NC?

Posted: 18 Aug 2003 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Bible
Edited: 9 Dec 2003 2:18PM GMT
Surnames: Swinford, Davis
Hi Jim,

I am posting here and I am sending you the same info via private email. I don't have a fax, but here is the page as an attachment. It is from the Bible belonging to my great Aunt, Martha Swinford, sister to my great-grandfather Jonathan who married Lavina WINDERS. (son of James, son of Jonathan of Newberry). There was a fire and this particular page is all that was salvageable from the Bible. I had the copy for months and had read it several times when I suddenly realized that the name of the father of that first Jonathan was staring me in the face --- another James.

There is some other data on the Swinfords in the notes and sources on my family tree on Rootsweb.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=carolyne...

Carolyne
Attachments:

Re: John SWINFORD b abt 1754 NC

LeeSwinford (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2004 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Swinford Tooley
Has anyone on this board seen notations in databases or paper records of Swinford service in the Revolutionary War, as Jim Swinford has mentioned in relation to land grants for service?

Marlene Dent (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2006 5:05PM GMT
Interested in bible page....where in NC? I'm on way to Raleigh in last part of Oct....will stop at archives. James had land near Statesville, NC....did not get deed in 70's. Must have just missed you in Newberry in the late 70's. I will be contacting Carolyne Gould as I believe that Levi's death as reported is not the 1790 Levi. He ended up in Tennessee, remarried in 1841 and was the father of my GG grandfather. He died in 1856 according to a deposition I have from his wife (2nd) and attested to by two daughters when she applied for civil war pension for their son named Levi from federal government. Thanks.

Posted: 1 Oct 2006 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: Swinford, O'Dell
Based on land records, Levi, the son of John Swinford and brother to Isaac was definitely alive in 1823 when He sold land to Barruck O'DELL. (see transcript below). Apparently he was in South Carolina when he signed the deed, and at that time he was married to a woman named Sarah. Three years later, (unless there is a transcription error) his wife "Betsy" signed away dower rights on the same land. So, was Betsy a second wife, or was her name Sarah Elizabeth or Elizabeth Sarah, etc?

What do you think?
Carolyne

Land Deed of Levi Swinford
Plat Book O Page 31
Know all men by these presents, that I, Levi Swinford of Newberry District in the state aforesaid in consideration of two hundred dollars to me paid by Barruck O'Dell of the district & state aforesaid, have granted, bargained, sold and released & by these present, do grant, bargain, sell & release unto the said Barruck O'Dell, all that plantation or tract of land, lying and situate in Newberry District (being a tract or conveyance to me by my father, John Swinford by deed bearing date the 28th day of December 1814) containing fifty acres (more or less) and bounded at the time of the execution of the said deed by lands of John Rhodes, John Swinford, Isaac Swinford & Isaac Henry.

Together with all and singular the rights, members, hereditarily and appertenances to the same belonging or in anywise incident or appertaining, to have and to hold all and singular the premises above mentioned unto the said Barruck O'Dell, his heirs and assigns forever. And I do hereby bind myself, my heir, executors & administrators to warrant and forever defend all an singular the said premises unto the said Barruck O'Dell his heirs and assigns against myself & my heirs and against every person whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the above for any part thereof.

Witness my hand and seal this third day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty three, and in the forty seventh year of the Independence of the United States of America.
Signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of his
Elisha Rhodes Levi X Swinford
S.C. Hargrove mark
These words by deed underlined before signed I, James Flanagan one of the Justices of the Quorum do hereby in my presence & that Elisha Rhodes & S. C. Hargrove. Subscribed by James Flanagan

South Carolina Newberry District } I, James Flanagan, one of the Justices of the Quorum, do hereby certify unto all whom it may concern, that Betsy Swinford, the wife of the within named Levi Swinford, did this day appear before me & upon being privately & separately examined by me did declare that she does freely & voluntarily, without any compulsion. dread or fear of any person or persons whomsoever, renounce, release & forever relinquish unto the within named Barruck O'Dell, his heirs and assigns, all her interests & estate & also all her rights and claim of dowry of, in & to all and singular the premises, within named and released. Given witness my hand and seal this twenty ninth day of March Anno Dominic 1826

her
James Flanagan Betsy X Swinford
mark
A land record this 4th day of April 1826. Taken Y. I. Harrington Reg.

Marlene Dent (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2006 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Swinford
Hi, thank you for answering my query. The Tennessee 1840 census lists Levi in McMinn County with 00110001-0311001. It would apppear his first wife was probably still alive. I have no idea who the children are. Think this would be the 1790 Levi. Apparently she died shortly after the census was taken. My data shows a wedding certificate Oct 4, 1841 in Monroe County, Tennessee to a Margaret Young. It is difficult to read and cold easily be misinterpreted as Lewis Swanford....However, this information was given verbally to my sister from family members in the mid 1970's and they said her name was Elizabeth Martha Young. I did find he youngs in census of 1840....can't find the page where I copied it down....will have to look again....Anyway, believe this to be 1790 Levi. His and Margaret (Martha or Elizabeth or Patsey) were the parents of my Great Grandfather, John Swinford. He was born January 1, 1845. His obit indicates he was born in McMinn County, Tennessee and grew to young manhood in Pensley, Bradley County, Tennessee. He was a Union soldier of Co A, Tenn Cavalry under a Col Rodgers. His brother was named Levi and was in Union Army but died of a cold after having measles in 1864. This is an affidavit wherein it states that Martha Swinford married Levi Swinford about 2 Oct 1842...nothing on that date, only the one in 1841. This affidavit was Martha requesting a Union pension from her son Levi. The pension application No is 94178 and certificate No. 91732. I don't have these papers and have to write fror them to find out when the pension ceased to determine when she died...so far have not been able to find any cemetery records. Have not found any 1850 census for them....but there is a Patsey Swinford 40, with Susan, John, Levi, Betsey and Samuel in the 1860 census....it does not appear in most census books, but I looked at the roll in Nashville last week. It is the Federal Census Charleston, Bradley County, Tennessee, June 14, 1860. John along with Betsey and Samuel came to Missouri about 1870 to the Doe Run area. John died in 1927.

So....I have two questions.....how do I get this stuff entered into the world tree data? and, your records indicate that a Jim Swinford had an old family bible from James, brother of the 1790 Levi that indicated his father, John, was from North Carolina. I am headed to North Carolina...Raleith and thereabouts the last week in October and thought it might be to my advantage to know if there is a specific area I should look into...for colonial data. Years ago 1970's I found a land deed in Raleigh for James Swinford (not the same one)...his farm was around what is now Statesville, NC. I plan to get a copy this time.....if John came from NC it could be very well that the NC James is a brother of John. Thi s is the same James that appears on the 1790 NC census along with Elisha that married Thankful Doan and therein lies the beginning of theKentucky Swinfords.

Thank you so very much....for all the effort and data you have on the Swinfords....I have copies of all the land deeds of John and sons....and plan to send for Samuel's so I can determine just where it is located to try and research the nearby cemeteries. One more thing. I received a letter in Octobe 1980 that the Newberry Historical society...a Caroline W. Padgett, found two tombstones in the Lower Duncan Creek Cemetery. They are Margaret Swineford born 1774 died Sept 10, 1807 and a Mary Swineford born 1781 died Sept 14, 1811. I did not receive this information until after I left the NC/SC area and so have never visited them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions