Search for content in message boards

Blackwell Family Arkansas & Texas

Blackwell Family Arkansas & Texas

charlotte (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2003 11:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blackwell
I am researching the James M. Blackwell family and have a letter dated April 16, 1934 in which J. M. Blackwell, 79 years old, writes to his niece (who was my great aunt) about his family, "Grandma's parents were from England, and she married a half blood cherokee Indian. That made PaPa one quarter Indian. PaPa was born and raised in Tennessee".

I have found James M. Blackwell and his wife, Mary Crow Blackwell, living in Calhoun County, Arkansas in 1860. Mary Crow Blackwell is found in Limestone County, Texas in 1880 and with her is living the J. M. Blackwell who wrote the letter mentioned above.

Does anyone have information about the Crow/Blackwell family. Records show him born in Tennessee and Mary Crow born in Tennessee and Missouri...not sure which is correct.

Re: Blackwell Family Arkansas & Texas

Carrie (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2003 3:18AM GMT
Do you know if James had a relative named Catherine? My great-great grandmother was Catherine Blackwell. She was called Cata or Kata (not sure of the spelling). Her death certificate lists her as Narcissa Katherine Blackwell. She married William Albert Cockrum/Cochran in Arkansas, but they later moved to LeFlore County, Oklahoma. She was born around 1867 and died in 1939. I have been told that her mother died when she was young, but am not sure. No one in the family knows anything about her side of the family. She possibly had a brother named Lewis. Again, I don't know if this is true, either. Please e-mail me if any of this sounds familiar. Thanks
Carrie woodenflower@hotmail.com

charlotte (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2003 8:15PM GMT
I'm afraid that I don't have any more information about the Blackwell's except what I listed. Sorry! charlotte

James Richardson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2003 1:39AM GMT
Surnames: Blackwell, Lunday, Radford
Charlotte,
Just read you message and I have just started looking in the genealogy of my great grandmother who was Elizabeth Frances Blackwell. She married John Q. Lunday and had a family here in Texas. One of my cousins, who I have shared info on the Lunday family, sent me something onetime suggesting that James Blackwell and Mary Crow might possibly be her parents. I can't find what it was she sent but will try to contact her again and see what she has. Also, have page of 1900 census that shows a J.L. Blackwell and wife Vinitty Haley (he states he is from TN) living with the Thomas Bell family and list him as father-in-law.
Thomas' wifes name looks like may be Mary L.(?) but not sure. I see your James M. Blackwell is living in Limestone Co., TX which is right next to Freestone County where Rev. J. L. Blackwell married 4 Apr 1872. Don't know where Elizabeth Frances Blackwell married John Q. Lunday but have a date from old family bible that said she was born in 31 Dec 1858. Sorry if I got to rambling here but would like for you to keep me in mind if you find anything that might show Elizabeth Blackwell as dau. to James M. Blackwell. I will do the same if I find anything.

James

charlotte (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2003 2:48PM GMT
Thanks so much for your reply. I noticed that you also list the name "Radford". I have seen that name in a letter written in the early 1900's referring to "Aunt Bett" who lived in Nacadoches and whose son in law was named Radford and lived in Donie, TX. "Bett" could refer to "Elizabeth". It would be real helpful if you would provide the dates for the people you listed in your message. The 1900 census w/J.L. Blackwell & wife.... These folks were also in Freestone County at times Where did you find the reference to Rev. J. L. Blackwell married 4 Apr..... The 1858 birthdate of Elizabeth Blackwell would be about right - where was she born?

It would be very helpful if you have family sheets of these folks that you could send. It appears to me that we have a match here and I would love to pursue it.

I would like to correspond with the Lunday cousin you mentioned. You can email me directly at chachep@aol.com & I am looking forward to hearing from you again. Charlotte

MIAROADRUNNER (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2003 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: BLACKWELL,SHARON KAY
HELLOW THERE; MY NAME IS JAMES LEE SMITH, MY MOTHER'S NAME IS SHARON KAY SMITH. BEFORE SHE MARRIED, SHE WAS SHARON KAY BLACKWELL FROM ILLINOISE. I REALY DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT HER PAST JUST THAT SHE WAS BORN AROUND 1949, MARRIED A MAN NAMED ALEXANDER ANTHONY SMITH FROM ILLINOISE AROUND 1965-1968. THERE WAS A FAMILY REUNION IN ARKKANAS OVER FIVE YEARS AGO. SHE WANTED TO GO BUT HER HUSBAND, WHOM SHE DEVORCED, LITTERALY FORBID HER TO GO. IF ANYONE REMEMBERS HER, SHE REALY WANTS TO TRY AND GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH HER FAMILY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. JAMES LEE SMITH

betzel (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2011 2:17AM GMT
Dear Charlotte -

I'm just seeing your thread tonight, so forgive me if I'm giving you duplicate information.

The James Lafayette Blackwell/Vinetta Haley Blackwell family did not include an Elizabeth Frances. The three Blackwell children were: Annie 1872-1952 (married William Henderson in about 1891), James R. 1875-1924 (married Mattie Wilke) and Mary Alberta 1880-1938 (married James G Foreman in 1895). Mary Alberta "Bertie" Blackwell Foreman is my ancestress. As far as I know, Rev. James L. Blackwell was only married once. He and Vinetta are shown on the 1900 Limestone Co., TX Census with Annie Henderson's family, not the Webb Family (they lived next door and are not related) as stated by Mr. Richardson.

Hope this will help.
Mary Scott

peters_charlotte38 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2011 3:41PM GMT
Glad to hear from you. Isn't Ancestry amazing to be able to follow up on a message from 7 years ago. I have pretty well confirmed my Blackwell family and it doesn't include a James Lafayette. James Monroe Blackwell was married to Mary Crow and I have determined their children, including the the Elizabeth Frances who James Richardson listed in his message. James Monroe was born in about 1818 in Tenn. His father was James B. Blackwell born after 1750 in GA. James B. was married to Pheruba Morris born 2 Mar 1795 in NC. James M. had 7 sisters, 6 of them moved with their mother to AR in 1838.

haley_61291 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2012 5:13PM GMT
I was wondering if you knew the other children that Mary P. Crow and James Monroe Blackwell had.

Peters_Charlotte (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2012 5:26PM GMT
James M. Blackwell, born in 1818, married Mary Polly Crow, born in abt. 1828. Their children were:
Louisa Jane
Mary Ann
Alabama Adaline
Emily Ella
James Monroe
All of the children were born in Arkansas and all died in Texas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions