Search for content in message boards

Henry Atkinson Dorman Gould

Henry Atkinson Dorman Gould

NUMMER (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: ATKINSON, GOULD, DORMAN, PORTER, WETHERBEE, WILLARD, DOOLITTLE, MUNSON
I am trying to find the connection between Atkinson and Goulds. My GGGrandfather Samuel A. Gould married Catherine Willard Porter in Utica, NY in 1808. She was the daughter of Daniel Porter & Rachel Wetherbee. They were all born in MA. Samuel & Katie had 9 children. One of which was named Henry Atkinson Dorman Gould. The Dorman is from Katie's side of the family. Does anyone know of a relation between Atkinsons and either Gould, Porter, Wetherbee, Willard or perhaps Atherton?

Porters & Atkinsons

NUMMER (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: PORTER, GOULD, WETHERBEE, WILLARD, MUNSON, DOOLITTLE, DURHAM, LAIRE, LARE
Who were William Atkinson Porter's parents? I can trace my Porter line back to Samuel Porter born abt. 1567 in Dorchester,Dorset, England.My line goes:
Caty Willard Porter 1788-1838
Daniel Porter 1757-1832
Benjamin Porter 1712-1793
William Porter 1674- 1732
Joseph Porter 1638-1714
John Porter 1596-1676
Samuel Porter 1567-1598
But so far I have not found a single Atkinson mentioned except as a middle name.We have Henry Atkinson Dorman Gould son of Caty Willard Porter & Samuel Atherton Gould.I have quite a bit on the Porters from the books The Genealogy of the Descendants of Richard Porter and The Descendants of John Porter. Alot of our Porters went from MA to NY. The Goulds went to IN,IL,KS,MI,KY and LA. But would like to find the Atkinson connection to this family.

Relation of Atkinsons & Porters

Daniel O'Connell (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
My wife, Juanita Boling O'Connell, is a direct descendant of William Atkinson Porter (1822 - 1888), who married Rachel Auten (1829 - 1893). They were her great-grandparents. She's descended from that couple's son, Edwin Douglas Porter (1859 - 1939, who married Alice Andrew Teter.

We're both retired & I've been using a PC via the Net to research the Porters & related families. Most descendants live in Missouri, Iowa, or Illinois.

We live in Rio Rancho, NM (a suburb of Albuquerque).

Re: Porters & Atkinsons

davidboling199 (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2013 12:39PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Atkinson
William Atkinson Porter was my GG Grandfather, but I have only tidbits of information on him. He was in Tazewell County, Illinois (from New Jersey) in the 1850 US census, same year he married Rachel Auten (also from New Jersey).
In 1860 US census, Isaac Voorhees Porter (from New Jersey), son of Johnathon Ellis Porter, (in New Jersey) is living right next door to William (and on William's land), but no indication of their connection. All information I have on Isaac states that Isaac was last son of John Ellis Porter. Isaac's son, John E. Porter, is in 1870 US census living with William's family, apparently having moved with them to Greene County, Illinois with no indication of relation.

William was in Illinois at early age, as a apprentice and oldest son of 7 children (according to Greene County, Illinois historical sketch). Was in Mexican-American War where he wrote a day-by-day journal of the armies activities, but stops around the time (I think) that he was injured and one of his arms was paralyzed.

Re: Porters & Atkinsons

davidboling199 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2014 6:35PM GMT
I recently found a baptism record from the US Dutch Reformed Church Records, here on Ancestry.com, that lists Leah Porter (sister of Isaac Voorhees Porter) only in the parent information for William Atkinson Porter (no father listed).

She later married John Bailey, but John would have been about 13 years old when William was born, so not sure.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions