Search for content in message boards

Broadbent in North West England

Broadbent in North West England

Luke Broadbent (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2003 5:45PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Broadbent
Hi, My name's Luke Broadbent, son of David Broadbent, grandson to Harry Broadbent.
We all lived in North West England close to Manchester, if anybody has the same name etc or knows of us, please say hello.
I know my Dad would be glad to hear from anyone.
Many thanks

Re: Broadbent in North West England

Luke Broadbent (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 6:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Broadbent
Hi there,

My name is also Luke Broadbent, and I am also the son of a David Broadbent, although he is the son of Leonard Broadbent. The whole family lives in Australia (although I now live in Canada). The family first came to Australia I believe through Luke Broadbent and his wife as a free settler on HMS Buffalo to Adelaide, Sth Australia (I can't remember the year).
Anyways I hope that helps. I don't have access to my family tree right now, but I hope that you are able to find the Luke Broadbent who first came out to Australia.

Regards,
Luke

Wanda Coles (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2007 6:33AM GMT
Hi There Luke(s)!

My name is Wanda Coles, nee: Shillabeer. I live in NSW Australia. My ancestor was Luke Broadbent born 24 December 1791 in Hadfield, Derbyshire, England to Henry & Mattie Broadbent. He married Harriet Inman in 1820 in Hadfield. They had 5 children in Hadfield- Henry b. 6 Dec 1824 (my GGG.grandfather), James b. 1827, John b. 02 July 1829, Elijah b. 02 Jun 1831, Elizabeth b. 1833.

The family departed Portsmouth on 23 July 1836 on "Buffalo" (a 3 masted naval store ship). They arrived in Holdfast Bay, Glenelg (suburb of Adelaide) South Australia on 28 Decemeber 1836. The Capatin John Hindmarsh RN was the first Governor of SA. An exact replica of "Buffalo" is moored at Glenelg now and is used as a resturant and museum.

Immigration records on landing state that Luke was a Labourer, former address Dockenfield, Ashton on Lynn (which I take to mean Dukinfield, Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire). He was 45 years old, Harriet was 39, kids ages (m) 11,9,7,1/2 (f) 5, 2. The youngest child Luke Broadbent (!) was born on the voyage- hence why he's 6 months old on arrival. Unfortunately little Luke died in 1837, before he was one year old.

After arriving in SA the Broadbents farmed on Kangaroo Island and finally at Cherry Gardens, near Adelaide. Luke Snr and Harriet had one more child Lois, b. 1841. Luke died on 14 June 1856 at Cherry Gardens, South Australia aged 65 years. Harriet died on 17 April 1892 aged 97.

Most of my Broadbent relatives still live in South Australia. My mother, Heather Broadbent is one of 11 kids so there's quite a few of them nowadays! Hope this helps a bit!

Regards

Wanda Coles

lisaluckhurst (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2008 10:36AM GMT
Do you know a samuel broadbent born in 1907, in oldham or a rebecca howard who married samuel broadbent.
Broadbent is my nan's maiden name

Twiglets71 (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2008 7:18AM GMT
Hi Luke

I am researching the broabent line, and am stuck on finding out if both branches i have a connection to are from the same exact line, as i have one who married a grandson of one other Broadbent ancestor.

jazaame1 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2009 10:06AM GMT
Hi Luke. My name is Anne Edwards from Perth Western Australia. I am a decendant of Luke Broadbent of the "Buffalo" through his son John. John's daughter, Naomi, married from Great-grandfather Henry Butler. Many of Henry's children, including my grandfather, Lindsay, moved to Western Australia. I would be interested in information on the English line.

Regards

Anne

sally1340 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2009 10:47AM GMT
Surnames: Broadbent, Appleby
Hello Luke, I have a Lucy Broadbent in my tree. She was my great grandmother , born in about 1855 in Staffordshire. She married Robert Bew Appleby in Wolverhampton in 1875 and her father is given as Joseph Broadbent , a licensed victualler. Does this mean anything,? Sally

stupidbethy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2009 6:25PM GMT
Where abouts in North west england?
My Grandads name was roland broadbent
im not sure when he was born or where he came from.
If you have information help me please
Beth x

lyndajaneluckhurst (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2009 10:27AM GMT
Surnames: broadbent
Hi beth, my grandmother's name was marjorie broadbent, she had a brother called roland broadbent, born in oldham, lancs. there parents were samuel and rebecca broadbent. If my roland is the same as yours, please contact me via my email address lyndajaneluckhurst@yahoo.co.uk, as marjorie's daughter ( my mother) would like to contact you
thanks
lynda

joaiol123 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2009 5:42AM GMT
My great-great-great grandfather was a Luke Broadbent who came to South Australia in 1836.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions