Search for content in message boards

Biggs/Benge family

Biggs/Benge family

RNallenweg (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Biggs, Benge

Searching for information on the family of Daniel (David) Richard BIGGS and Eliza Ann P. BENGE. Sometime after 1850 Daniel apparently left his family. Does anyone know what became of him? Eliza then remarried. Thanks for any help.

1. Daniel (David) Richard Biggs, born abt. 1830 in , TN. He married on 1 Jul 1849 in , Clay, KY, Eliza Ann P. Benge, born Mar 1835 in , Clay, KY; died 20 Aug 1904, daughter of John (Jackie) Benge and Philadelphia Harrison.

Notes for Daniel (David) Richard BIGGS

!MARRIAGE: Marriage record book #1, file 10, Clay County Courthouse, Manchester, KY

!CENSUS: 1850 US Census, Clay County, KY, Clay County Historical Society,
family #668

!QUERY: 'CCAN', Nov 1996, pg 70

!DEATH: Grandson Richard Reid's life insurance policy states under cause of
death 'I don't know him, he left this country years ago'.

Notes for Eliza Ann P. BENGE

!CENSUS: 1860 US Census, Clay County, KY, #888, Clay County Historical Society
1870 US Census, Clay County KY, #19, pct #2, Clay County Historical Society,
Manchester, KY
1880 US Census vol 6, ED 23, sht 30, line 25, #248-274, Clay Co, KY, Soundex T750-6
1900 US Census, Clay Co, KY, #270-284, Eliza has had 11 children, 6 of whom are living.

!MARRIAGE: Marriage #2, 'Clay Co., KY Marriage book 1, 1807-1859', by Collett

!DEATH: Grandson Richard Reid's life insurance policy gives Eliza's age at
death at 68.

Children of Daniel (David) Richard BIGGS and Eliza Ann P. BENGE were as follows:
+ 2 i Nancy Ann2 Biggs [306], born 4 Jun 1854 in Benge, Clay, KY. She married William Reid [305].

Generation 2

2. Nancy Ann2 Biggs [306] (Daniel (David) Richard1), born 4 Jun 1854 in Benge, Clay, KY; died 16 Dec 1946 in Manchester, Clay, KY; buried in , Manchester, Clay, KY. She married on 24 Dec 1876 in , Clay, KY, William Reid [305], born 12 Jun 1854 in Manchester, Clay, KY; died 20 Mar 1911 in , Clay, KY; buried 22 Mar 1911 in Reid cem, Manchester, Clay, KY, son of James Washington Reid (Sr.) [325] and Sophia Garrard [326].

Notes for Nancy Ann BIGGS

!BIRTH: Reid family Bible

!CENSUS: 1860 US Census, Clay County KY, Clay County Historical Society
1870 US Census, Clay County KY, Clay County Historical Society, Manchester, KY
1920 US Census, Sidell, Clay County, KY, widowed, living with son, Ford

!DEATH: Tombstone, 1900 USA
Grave is located off of Greenbriar road, behind the Pleasant Run Baptist
Church, on top of the hill behind the fenced Sandlin Graveyard. She is the only Reid buried here. At the time of here death she was living with Jake and Lucy Sandlin according to Rollie Reid and Catherine Hollin, 6/94.
Death Cert searched for by Frankfort, KY Vital Statistics, but not found.

Notes for William REID

!BIRTH: Reid family Bible. Also Life insurance policy of William Reid. This
policy states that William had Typhoid Fever at age 19 and also had malaria.
It states that one of William's brother's died at age 33 from Typhoid Fever.

!MARRIAGE: Clay County Courthouse, KY, marriage record file #19 and LDS film

!CENSUS: 1880 US Census, Clay County, KY, Soundex T750, roll 63, Census vol 6, sheet 42, E.D. 25, line 3, #332-347, occupation: farming
1895 Clay Co. School census, school #86
1900 US Census, Clay County, E.D. 28, sheet number 2, line 30, occupation:
farmer
1910 US Census, Clay County, Manchester, Green Briar Road, reel 471, E.D. 46, sheet 6B, line 72, occupation: farmer. Nancy is the mother of 12 children, 10 living.

!OCCUPATION: All census information lists William as a farmer. The William Reid Fee Bill Book shows that William was a Deputy Sheriff of Clay County during the 1890's.

!ACTIVITIES: Miscellaneous loose receipts show that William was Secretary of the Manchester Masonic Lodge #316 A F & A M during the 1890's.

!RELIGION: Miscellaneous Wm Reid Church records show that Wm was secretary of
the Oneida Baptist Assn 1907-1910. Records include a 15 Oct 1910 liscence to
preach to Wm Reid from the Rev. Thomas Murrell.

!TAX LIST: 1894 Dist #1, Manchester, 254 acres, total property $1610

!DEATH: Reid family Bible and tombstone. Also, letter from son Richard to
William of 28 Feb 1911 discusses his father's illness.
Will written 19 Mar 1909, amended 13 May 1909 and executed 15 Nov 1911 in Clay Co, KY. Will book #3, pgs 60 & 61.
Death Certificate, Vital Statistics, Frankfort, KY.
www.uky.edu 'KY 1911-1986 Death Index', vol 15, cert 05942, deathvol 11, Wm Reid, age 56

Cem at Pleasant Run Baptist

Darlene (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Hi,
I was reading your query and my parents live near this graveyard and have a list of names buried there.
First thing I found that is incorrect with your statement, though this maybe just a typo. The stone of Nancy A. Reid has this listed 06/04/1854-12/16/1945 not 1946.
Also, there is more Reid's buried there. 3 rolls back behind Nancy A. Reid's grave.

Stones right to left.
(These have one stone)
Steve S. Keith 07/29/1884-10/28/1965
Alice T. Keith 02/13/1877-12/02/1966

(Mother) Zilphia Robinson Reid 1890-1934

Calvin C. Reid 1918-1977

Hope it helps!
Darlene

Biggs & Reid

MTCHJAX (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 11:20AM GMT
Surnames: Biggs, Reid
Hello,

It's me again. This information you have posted is something else. I don't know how to begin to thank you fo filling in a lot of the holes on my side of the family from Clay County, KY.

Perhaps I can share with you what I do know about the grandsons of William Reid, if you are interested.

Respectfully Yours David J. Reid

Reid

MTCHJAX (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 11:20AM GMT
Surnames: Reid, Biggs, Robinson, Sandlin, Keith
Hello Darlene,

It's me again. I just wanted to add a little more detail to what you have here on this cemetary behind the Pleasant Run Baptist Church in Clay County, KY.

I am told it's behind the Sandlin graveyard. The significance of this is that Nancy Biggs Reid was living with the Sandlin's when she died 35 years after her husband William died.

And here is the connection of the 3 Reid's buried there:

Nancy Biggs Reid is the grandmother of Calvin C. Reid.
Zilphia Robinson Reid is the mother of Calvin C. Reid.

The odd thing about this is that they are not buried in the Reid family cemetary in Manchester, KY like most of the other Reid's.

( Note: Zilphia's husband Micheal H. Reid is buried in Hamilton County, OH where he lived with his second wife, Sarah)

Does any one out there have any idea why these 3 Reid's were not buried in the Reid family cemetary?

Could it be discrimination against Zilphia, who was a Cherooke Indian? Could it be due to embaressment over Calvin's criminal record? Or did Calvin want to buried next to his mother who died when he was only 16 years old?

And what is the connection of the Keith's buried there as well?

Any inside information would be appreciated.

David

Re: Reid

bsum65 (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 2:34AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2006 9:31PM GMT
Maybe a reason they are buried here is that the Tipton's are a direct descendant of a cherokee indian and so there would be no discrimination in their eyes.

What connection are you wanting to know about concerning the Keith's that are buried here? I am a direct descendant of all the Tipton's in this cemetery and can explain the reason for the Keith's that are there if you're still interested. Email me privately and we'll compare notes.

Re: Reid

Lowell Massey (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2007 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Reid
Nancy Biggs Reid was my great grand mother. My grandmother was Wilhelmena (Mena) Reid Philpot, daughter of William Reid and Nancy.

We actually have a letter that William wrote to Nancy trying to convince her to accept his proposal.

My mother, (Pauline Massey) and her mother were with Nancy when she died. Aunt Lucy (Reid) and Uncle Jake Sandlin were in Lexington that night with a sick daughter. (Goldie)

The story that I've always been told is that "Grandma Reid" refused to be buried at the Reid cemetary, next to William because the water from the nearby creek occasionally over flowed into that area. She wanted to be buried on higher ground. Grandpa Reid and two of their sons are actually the only three graves in that area of the cemetary.

I believe that the land for the Reid cemetary was donated by Williams father, James Reid.

I would love to have more info on David Richard Biggs. It's never been clear to me whether him and Eliza Benge ever actually married.

According to Mom, Grandma Reid was known to be able to "cure" children with "whooping cough" by blowing in their mouth. The legend was that anyone who had never seen their father were blessed with this gift.

Uncle Richard Reid, who is mentioned was a merchant in Manchester for many years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions