Search for content in message boards

Kelleys in Carnegie

Kelleys in Carnegie

John Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2001 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kelley, Carter
I'm looking for information about a certain Kelley family that was in Carnegie, OK in the late 1800's to about the mid 1940's I would estimate.

More specifically I'm looking for information regarding John Milton Kelley. We know he was a blacksmith or ferrier in the town and that he is buried in an unmarked grave somewhere in Carnegie.

John Milton had a brother named Edward we think, we also belive he is buried in Carnegie.

John was married to Emma Falls, or at least we think that's her first name, we know that the surname was falls.

They had several children: James Willam Kelley (Bill), John Albert Kelley (my grandfather), Myrtle, Lucile, Jewel and Genelle. Genelle and Lucile may still be living but the family has fallen out of touch with them, I'm trying to track them down. Genelle may live in Texas and Lucile was in Fresno, CA last anyone had heard.

We know that John Albert was born in Carnegie on June 9, 1921. James Willam was born in 1904, but we don't know if he was born in Carnegie or somehwere else in OK.

John Albert married Irene Carter, we think in CA but not 100% sure of that either. We do know John Albert and James William came to CA during the dust bowl.

Whew quite a post! If anyone has any information I'd be extremely greatful. Getting information about my family tree is difficult at best. Unfortunately by the time I became interested most everyone that knew anything had passed away. :(

John D Kelley
From Bakersfield, CA, currently living in Des Moines, IA

Re: Kelleys in Carnegie

Lillian (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 5:58PM GMT
John,
This is all I could find on John Kelly. Sounds like this one is probably yours. You might find more of an obit in the Daily Oklahoman. You might be able to get a death certificate since we know the death date of July 2, 1935. This didn't give me much to go on but I will keep looking and if you can think of anything I'll try to help in anyway.
I am also sending some Kelley obits that I found don't know if they are related. If you think they are let me know and I will check they out further. Lillian
The Carnegie Herald, Wed., July 3, 1935
John Kelly Dies At Oklahoma City 2nd

John Kelly, well known former blacksmith and resident of Carnegie for the past fifteen years, died Tuesday afternoon at the University hospital. He had been in failing health for a number of years and had spent much time in the hospital. Funeral services were held late Wednesday and interment was made in the Carnegie cemetery.

The Carnegie Herald, Wed. Feb. 13, 1952
Final Rites Are Sunday Afternoon For John Kelley

Services were at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Methodist church for John M. Kelley, 61, a life-long resident of Caddo County. Rev. Brodace Elkins and Rev. Burt Miller conducted the service and burial was in the Carnegie cemetery. Arrangements were under direction of the Pitcher Funeral Home.

Mr. Kelley died early Friday morning in a Chickasha hospital after being seriously ill for two weeks. He had been in failing health the past few years. He united with the Methodist church at an early age and his membership was in the Methodist church in Carnegie.

Born June 12, 1890, in Oklahoma City, he came with his parents to the Indian village of Anadarko in 1892, and after the opening of this county to settlement moved into the community east of Carnegie, and has always made his home in and near Carnegie except for a brief time spent in war work in California.

He was married to Jennie Hazel Young in Fort Cobb Dec. 23, 1914, and to them one daughter was born. Mrs. Kelley died in 1920. He was married to Mrs. Allie Brown Davis Dec. 6, 1922.

Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Allie Kelley at the home; one daughter, Mrs. J.C. Mapp, Carnegie, and three step-children, Raymond Davis, Carnegie; Mrs. Dave Epps, Fort Worth, and Mrs. Ralph Cowart, Gabbs, Nevada. Mrs. Cowart could not be present for the services.

Also surviving are 14 grandchildren and one great grandson; two brothers, Hugh W. Kelley, Alfalfa, and Fred Kelley, Stinnett, Texas, and a sister, Mrs. Harold Wright, Carnegie.

Among the relatives and friends here from a distance to attend the funeral were: Mr. & Mrs. Fred Kelley, Stinnett; Mr. & Mrs. Dave Epps, Fort Worth; Mr. & Mrs. Leonard Myers, Lubbock, TX; Mr. & Mrs. Leroy Wright, Mr. & Mrs. Johnny Bedding and Eugene Wright, Wichita, Kan.; Mr. & Mrs. Carroll Wright, Clinton; Don C. Hudson, Fort Cobb; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Lewis, Apache; Mr. and Mrs. Wiley Brown, Healdton; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Brown, Elmore City; Mr. and Mrs. Glen Young and daughter and Mr. and Mrs. Warren Young, Anadarko; Mrs. Grace Barber, Mrs. Chester Bishop, Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Houchin, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Anderson and Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Rodden, Oklahoma City; Carolyn Epps, Fort Worth.

Mr. and Mrs. Earl Young and Kenneth Young, Choctaw; Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Young, Ponca City; Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Young, Blackwell; Mr. and Mrs. Leon Kelley, Hobart; Mrs. Leroy Friels and Mrs. Wilfred Johnson, Memphis, Tenn.; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Higgins, Mr. and Mrs. Herschel Chappelear, Mrs. W.J. Fobes and Mrs. Sallie Epps, Mt View; Mr. and Mrs. Lester Pruet, Memphis, TX; Louis Horn, Hydro; Mr. and Mrs. Gay Truitt, Amber, and Mrs. Carl Graham, Oklahoma City.

The Carnegie Herald, Wed., Jan. 23, 1957
Edward C. Kelley Funeral Services Are Held Sunday

Edward C. Kelley, pioneer resident of the Carnegie community, passed away at his home Friday night after a lengthy illness. He had been critically ill for several weeks.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon in the First Baptist church with Rev. W.F. Crow, pastor, in charge. Rev. Bob Williams, pastor of the Nazarene church, and Rev. Roy Lind, pastor of the Pleasant View Baptist church, assisted. Interment was in the Alfalfa cemetery under the direction of the Pitcher Funeral Home. The Alfalfa IOOF lodge conducted graveside rites.

Mr. Kelley was born December 6, 1875, in Lawrenceburg, Tenn. He grew to manhood in Tennessee and moved with his mother to De Queen, Ark., in 1899. He was married to Miss Mary Lee Smith September 8, 1907, at De Queen. The following year he and his wife moved to the community northwest of Carnegie. In 1913 he and his family moved to the Pleasant View community where he lived until he retired from farming in 1953 and moved to Carnegie.

His wife preceded him in death in 1946 and one daughter, Mary Jane, died in infancy. He was also preceded in death by two grandchildren, Louis and Deborah Steele. He was converted in early manhood and joined the Baptist church at Prairie Lone, northeast of Carnegie. At the time of death, he was a member of the First Baptist church in Carnegie. Mr. Kelley had been a member of the Alfalfa IOOF lodge since shortly after coming to Oklahoma.

Survivors include: five daughters, Mrs. Odessa Steele, Ridgecrest, Calif.; Mrs. Vera Johnson, Mrs. Pearl King and Mrs. Fannie Sue Halsted of Carnegie, and Mrs. Velma Koontz, Los Alamitos, Calif.; two sons, Henry and Otis, both of Carnegie; a niece whom he reared, Mrs. Doshie Davis of Buckeye, Ariz.; 29 grandchildren and many other relatives and friends.

John Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 7:51PM GMT
Surnames: Kelley, Carter
That top one is him for sure!

Thank you VERY much for this information, I will pass it along to the rest of the family

Again, thank you VERY much.

John

More information

John Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2001 3:24AM GMT
Surnames: Kelley, Carter, Coffee
Here is more information that we have uncovered if it would assist you any:

John Milton did not have a brother named Edward as we previously thought, his brothers names were Newt, Walter and William. He also had a sister named Maude also known as Mollie.

His wife's name was Emma for certain.

His kids names were:
James William Kelley (Uncle Bill) who was born in 1905, Myrtle Irene Kelley who was born in 1902
Oletha Lucille Kelley who was born in 1909
John Albert Kelley (my grandfather) who was born in 1921 in Carnegie and Genelle, who I am not sure of when she was born. She's still living in Texas right now but is in very very poor health.

John Milton was born in Indian Territory in 1881 to William Kelley (we think) and Mary Kathrine Josephine Coffee.

Thanks again for all your help, finding that obituary was one of the best things that's happend so far in my search!

Re: More information

rae_cme (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2002 5:04AM GMT
Surnames: Cowart, Davis
I believe that my Grandmother was John Kelly's Step-Daughter; Mrs. Gladys (Ralph) Cowart (born: 9/21/14 passed: 6/21/96 Nevada). Any information you might have on my Grandmother would be a godsend. My father, Samuel Ray Cowart (born 12/1933 Oklahoma passed: 9/2/74 Calif.) passed when I was young and there was no contact between our families. My children are just dying to fill in their family-tree, it's 1/2 empty.

judyholley1940 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2003 4:56AM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2003 1:51AM GMT
Did you get all the information you need? If not, Carnegie is a small town and I am related to some of the folks in the Obit I might be able to find out what you need.

John Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2003 2:46PM GMT
Surnames: Kelley, Cunningtubby
The John Kelley listed as the blacksmith was indeed my Great Grandfather which helped nail down when the family arrived in Carnegie and where he died. Still haven't been able to get his death certificate or anything like due to lack of time and resources. I also found out that my Great Uncle worked at the Liberty Theater (I think that was the name, oldest theater in town still standing after him working there since 1935) there.

Otherwise no I've not come up with much in the way of information, my family was lax to say the least about recording such things.

Judy Holley (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2003 1:47AM GMT
I hate to be nosy but if I am to get good information who is your parent that is the child of the blacksmith. There are a lot of Kelleys there and if possible I need to pinpoint which group. I will try anyway but more information will help. Almost a relative.

John Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2003 8:25PM GMT
No worries :)

John Milton Kelley was my Great Grandfather. My Grandfather's name was John Albert Kelley, my fathers name is Gregory Maurice Kelley. He was born long after they left Oklahoma for California (Dustbowl and all that happy stuff)

John Milton Kelley's other sons and daughters would be James William Kelley, Oletha Lucille Kelley, Myrtle Irene Kelley, Emma Jewel Kelley and Leona Genelle Kelley.

He also had a brother named Walter and we think another one named Newt.

Judy Holley (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2003 5:25AM GMT
I have printed all the messages posted on this subject. Will mail them the old fashioned way to my relative living in Carnegie area. If there are any people who can help you she will know them. I do not know if she will call me back or reply by mail so this may take a few days.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions