Search for content in message boards

Satterwhite-Gammill

Satterwhite-Gammill

Hank Rogers (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2003 2:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Mar 2004 10:53AM GMT
Seeking info on my gggrandparents, John T. Satterwhite & Laura O. Gammill.

I know of the Satterwhites up to James Madison, but does anybody know before him? Or where to look in GA archives?

I know nothing of Laura (xcept b & d dates, place of burial, etc.) or her family. Any info on the Gammill's would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Benjamin Gammill of Harris Co. GA

maryameyer (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2003 10:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 May 2004 3:12PM GMT
Surnames: SATTERWHITE, GAMMILL, GAMMELL, SHARPE, HIGGINS
Hi Hank, You will find some pertinent information already posted on this board by Don Clark and others. I suggest you touch base with Rex Sands (rexmt2@aol.com) to compare notes.

I don't know the exact dates of the life and ministry of Rev. John T. Satterwhite, but I can say for a surety that he was actively performing weddings and funerals during the time-frame 1893-1923 in Chambers Co. AL as an esteemed Primitive Baptist minister and pastor. (Primitive Baptists use the title Elder instead of Rev., so he was Elder Satterwhite.) Here's an obituary he wrote about his wife's sister Winnie Gammill Higgins (which gives the names of his wife's parents):

"MRS. WINNIE HIGGINS. She was a daughter of Benjamin and Eliza Gammill and was born in Harris county, Ga., and there resided until the death of her parents in 1892 when she came into our family, as she was a sister of my wife, and made our home her home until July, 1900, when she became the second wife of the late S. G. Higgins, a well-known and highly respected citizen of Chambers county. This identified her with one of the best families in the country, and with him she lived happily until his death in 1907, when she left her home and again became a member of our family until her death, which occurred last Friday evening at 6 o'clock, June 11, 1909.

This last illness lasted 7 weeks during which time all was done for her by physicians and friends that could be done, but she had run her race and must go 'the way of all the earth.' She died at the age of 75 and was buried by the side of her husband in the Higgins cemetery, near Five Points, Chambers county, Ala., in the presence of a goodly number of friends and relatives.

Four of the five surviving stepchildren gathered around her casket and with tears manifested that death had severed a strong tie that existed between them.

When quite young, she made a profession of religion and died a member of the Primitive Baptist church at Mt. Hickory, Chambers county.

Twice during her last illness she became perfectly happy, and with her weak voice gave praises to God to whom she has gone and in whom her spirit rests until the resurrection morn, when soul and body will be re-united and housed in the paradise of God.

We take this occasion to extend to our neighbors and friends our hearty thanks for their faifhfulsrvice and tender sympathy during our trouble. --J. T. Satterwhite" (p. 218 in ALLIE ABERNATHY'S SCRAPBOOKS 1893-1923: Marriages, Deaths and Other Items from Chabmers County, Alabama Newspapers, compiled by Laura Alabama Floretta Abernathy).

(The first wife of S. G. Higgins was Henrietta Caroline Whatley.)

Here's another GAMMILL obituary for Mattie, sister of Laura and Winnie:

"DEATH OF MISS GAMMILL. The death of Miss Mttie Gammill occurred last Monday morning at 5:30 o'clock, at the home of Rev. J. T. Satterwhite in this city. Miss Gammill's home was in Harris county, Georgia, and she came to LaFayette Dec. 21st, to visit her sister, Mrs. J. T. Satterwhite. She became ill on Dec. 24th and her condition grew gradually worse until the end came last Monday. Miss Gammill was in her 78th year at the itme of her death, and was an estibable christian lady. The remains were interred in the cemetery at Mt. Pisgah church, near Stroug Tuesday at 12:00 o'clock" (p. 260 in ALLIE ABERNATHY'S SCRAPBOOKS 1893-1923: Marriages, Deaths and Other Items from Chambers County, Alabama Newspapers, compiled by Laura Alabama Floretta Abernathy).

And finally,

"TO OUR MANY FRIENDS. Our hearts are filled iwht gratitude to God for the many letters of sympathy and love, which come to us in every mail since the death of our dear daughter, Mrs. Lela Sharpe....We are getting on as well as could be expected under the circumstances. May the Lord bless you all. We are lovingly yours, J. T. and L. O. Satterwhite" (p. 166 in ALLIE ABERNATHY'S SCRAPBOOKS 1893-1923: Marriages, Deaths and Other Items from Chambers County, Alabama Newspapers, compiled by Laura Alabama Floretta Abernathy). This item appeared early in 1907, near the time of the death of S. G. Higgins.

Mary on the otherside

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions