Search for content in message boards

Jack and Blanche Gannaway Obits

Jack and Blanche Gannaway Obits

elainejd50_1 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2008 1:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for obits on Jack and Blanche Gannaway. Blanche died January 25, 1997 in San Joaquin. Unsure where Jack died, but was buried in Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego. He died on April 10, 1964. Any help will be appreciated. Elaine Hopkins Day

Re: Jack and Blanche Gannaway Obits

mkludy115 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2013 9:03PM GMT
Hi Elaine, I have not found an obit for Jack but did find one for Blanche from the Lodi New-Sentinel. I have attached a jpg of the clipping. Blanche was my grandmothers sister. My grandmother was Mona Zogg. Mark Kludy
Attachments:

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 11:13PM GMT
I am so appreciative of this. I am going to see if I can find him in California. I will send it to you. Jack was the son of my greataunt. Elaine

mkludy115 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2013 5:58PM GMT
Hi Elaine, I don't happen to have the names of Jack's Parents. Could you tell me their names? In exchange, attached is a photo my mother had of Jack and Blanche. Thanks, Mark Kludy
Attachments:

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:16PM GMT
Jack's parents were John Anderson Gannaway born 4/4/1858 in Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, TN and died the same place on Jan 10, 1941. He married Virginia A.(actually known as Jennie) Mayberry on 2/3/1887 in Rutherford County, Tn. She was born May 1862 and died on March 13, 1908 at home with the measles. She was the daughter of an overseer of the slave trade. She left four children:
1.Evie born 6/17/1888 and died 4/8/1962 in Amery, Wisconsin. She was a mail order bride to Charles Oscar Bergstrand.
2. Beulah Mai born March 3, 1891 and died 9/23/1977 in Rutherford County. She married George Hopkins on 9/8/1908. These are my grandparents.
3.Now comes Jack and he was only married to Blance and served as a cook in WWII I think in the army,
4.Grace Belle born Jan 20, 1900 and I am not sure when she died but I think it was in Georgia. I am working on this one now.
5.Unknown baby that died in infancy.
John and Jenny and his second wife are all buried in Hope-Thompson Cemetery, Rutherford County, TN

My Aunt Polly and Aunt Mary who are the last of the 15 Hopkins children, remember Blance and Jack and they met your grandmother, the one mentioned in the obit.

I am working on finding Jack's obit. He lived in Long Beach but died in Los Angeles. I think his obit will wind up being in Long Beach. He and Blance are suppose to be buried at Fort Rosecrans Cemetery in San Diego.

Glad to know that I can help. Let me know if you want anymore info. Elaine Hopkins Day
You can e-mail me at my home account if you want
elainejd50@hotmail.com

danderup (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:32PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: GANNAWAY
Website for Veteran Burials

http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/index.html

Has following:

GANNAWAY, JACK  

COOK   US ARMY

WORLD WAR I

DATE OF BIRTH: 02/10/1897

DATE OF DEATH: 04/10/1964

BURIED AT: SECTION X  SITE 273-A

FT. ROSECRANS NATIONAL CEMETERY

P.O. BOX 6237 SAN DIEGO, CA 92166

(619) 553-2084

No indication of Blance being buried there.

Vern D

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:40PM GMT
Thank you, I had someone take a picture of the grave site and Blanche appears not to be buried there....Could be Lodi where she is at. But thank you for the info anyway. Elaine

danderup (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2013 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: GANNAWAY, SELLS, MUCHA
California Death Index (CADI) has following

GANNAWAY/BLANCHE/EDNA/08-26-1901/ *SELLS/**MUCHA/F/***IOWA/****SAN JOAQUIN /-/01-25-1997/322-16-4553 /95 yrs

Key:* Mother's maiden; **Father's last; *** PoB; ****County of death

Based on this, most likely obit source would be Stockton Record. URL

http://www.recordnet.com/

Am not sure whether if you found it you'd have to pay to get a copy or not.

Did a quick global search at website which indicates a couple of hits on surname. One article by Howard Lachtman on August 19, 1996 mentions Blanche.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 12:08AM GMT
Yep, that is her....thanks. Elaine

CadiListMom (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2013 11:04PM GMT
Surnames: Gannaway, Zogg, Sells, Mucha
See attached obit on Blanche Gannaway, appeared on page 11 of the Lodi News-Sentinel, January 28th, 1997
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions