Search for content in message boards

McGee Family of Kansas City circa 1858

McGee Family of Kansas City circa 1858

@@shirleyb@alumni.umkc.edu (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2002 3:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jan 2003 6:21AM GMT
Surnames: McGee, Sharp, Gaines,
Looking for historical information & family information. Believe there is a link between the prominent leaders in early KC and my ancestor Stafford McGee of St. Louis area & KC area. Looking for marriage & divorce records. Trying to relocate document indicating that Stafford's other name may have been Walter. I saw a document once & thought I had retained a copy, but cannot find it. My GGGrandmother was Sophia Jane McGee daughter of Stafford and Elizabeth Sharp who died in 1849. Her siblings (according to my uncle, Edward F. Bowman) were George M. Dallas McGee, America "Meck" K. Polk McGee Gaines, Charley 1/2 brother, Martha Ellen McGee Stewart, Cyrus A. S. McGee 1/2 brother, Missouri Ann McGee 1Day 2Coberly, & other 1/2 siblings, Lavina, Susan, Polly, Lidda, John, Tom, Elizabeth, Hannah, & "doubtless, several others". According to family history Stafford had 7 wives (2 at one time in St. Louis). Other wive's names were Elizabeth Fitzwater, Catherine Welch, Mrs. Mary P. Hudson. Stafford died in 1859 3 mi west of Oak Grove, MO. His father was Samuel McGee & his mother was Martha Stafford.He had two known brothers, John and James H. McGee.
Other descendants include
Rufus James McGee, William Perry McGee, Guy McGee, Elsie McGee, Aileen McGeeTaggert, Edna McGee Dunaway, Helen Fern McGee Pearce, Mary Louise McGee Allison, Mary Lucy "Mollie" McGee Rowland, Udora Ann Gaines Hermann, George Washington "Bud" Gaines, Albert Gaines, Maud Catherine Gaines Frick, Mattie Elizabeth Gaines Middleton, Ella Beryl Gaines Brannan, Molly America Gaines Greer, Walter Stafford Gaines, Robert Gaines

Re: McGee Family of Kansas City circa 1858

Tom Glenn (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2002 12:30AM GMT
Perhaps you have already determined, but yes the correct name was "Walter Stafford McGee". Apparently he went more by his middle name. I am related to him through his son George Dallas McGee. Family stories given to me indicate he was related to the more prominent McGee's of KC but, as you know, sometimes family storie are not quite acurate.

RoBassett (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2002 8:23AM GMT
Surnames: McGee, Ward, Brown
Any link to Mabillon McGee, brother of Fry? Mabillon married Mary E. WARD, moved to Pasadena CA in about 1880. A girl that lived with them (1870 census) Josephine Angelo Brown, also went to CA and became my G-grandmother. Am looking for more info on Mabillon to see if I can locate more Brown links.

Smokey Bassett
Rocklin CA
smokey123@jps.net

Mabillion MCGEE

John O'Brien (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 4:39AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: MCGEE, WARD
Have you seen the following from "The History of Jackson County, Missouri" published in 1881, page 811:

"Mabillion MCGEE was born in Shelby county, Kentucky, December 25, 1817, and is the son of James H. and Eleanor FRY MCGEE. The former is a native of Virginia and of Scotch-Irish descent, being among the early settlers of Kentucky. Mrs. MCGEE was born in 1793, in Greenbriar county, Kentucky, and was the daughter of Isaac FRY, a gentleman very respectably connected in that county.

Mabillion received very limited educational advantages in youth, and resided on a farm until 1827, when he removed with his parents to Clay county, Missouri. Thence to Jackson county, and located on a site between what is now Nineteenth and Twentieth, and Broadway and Main streets. Here he pursued his education still further by self application.

In 1847 there was a call made by the Government for volunteers of Jackson county and of the Shawnee and Delaware tribes of Indians living west of Jackson county, to go to Florida and help fight the Seminoles. As one of the volunteers, Mr. McGee went, and rendered valuable services on account of his acquaintance with the chiefs, and also his knowledge of the Indian language. After returning he engaged in trading with the Indians, which he followed for fourteen years, and during this time accumulated a considerable amount of property.

He has selected a beautiful spot on which to pass the remainder of his days, consisting of sixty acres, now known as MCGEE's Summitt. April 28, 1844, he married Miss Mary E. WARD, of Greenup county, Kentucky. Her father was an old settler of that State, and a highly respected citizen."

(I have no connection to the McGee family.)

John
Kansas City, MO

Elizabeth C. SHARP

Posted: 15 May 2002 5:29AM GMT
Surnames: SHARP, STEWART
I don't know if this is your Elizabeth Sharp, but just in case:

From "The History of Jackson County, Missouri" published in 1881, page 985:

"T. B. SHARP, farmer, section 8, post-office New Santa Fe, was born in Kentucky, November 9, 1806, and there was reared. After receiving his education he commenced farming, and in the fall of 1851 came to this county. Here he has since lived, owning eighty acres of fine land.

He was married in Kentucky, May 22, 1834, to Miss D. STEWART. By this union they have had nine children, five of whom are living: Elizabeth C., Jane B., Lucy B., Moses T., and Wm. F.

Four are deceased: Justine, Mary T., Sindarlia, and Sarah N.

Mrs. SHARP died August 3, 1870."

Re: Mabillion MCGEE & Elizabeth Sharp

@@shirleyb@alumni.umkc.edu (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 1:08PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2003 6:21AM GMT
Thank you for reading and replying to my posted query. I have read much of the printed info about James H. McGee, Fry McGee, Milt McGee, M. E. McGee, Allen B. H. McGee...the McGee Family of Kansas City. Stafford McGee was a grocer, documented by 1850 Federal census records for St. Louis. The sons of James H. McGee were merchants, tavern owners, Indian traders, & according to at least one published source operated a "grocery" business for traders, travelers, etc. In 1854 my ancestor, Stafford McGee, bought 40 acres on the bluff near what is now Kessler Park and near Cliff Drive from ABH McGee. That is documented by St. Louis county probate records as land still owned in Jackson county at the time of his death (ca 1860). It is family conjecture that Stafford was related, perhaps as a cousin, to James H. McGee. Stafford's brother was a different James McGee. The early McGee's apparently were rougher around the edges than those couple who became prominent in the growth and leadership of the growing Kansas City. Stafford was put out of the Baptist church led by Elder Hiram Bowman (father of Joshua Bowman, who later married Stafford's daughter, Sophia, my great grandmother) for drinking and swearing. Sophia's mother was Elizabeth Sharp, but we have no record of Elizabeth ever living in KC. Sophia was born in Gumbo. Her mother, Elizabeth, had died before the family moved from St. Louis county.

Re: Mabillion MCGEE

RonSmokey (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 2:21PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2002 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: McGee, Lewis, Brown, Banbury
John,
Thanks for the information! Have sent you a long reply in a direct note to your email.

Smokey Bassett
Rocklin CA

Marsha McGee Bowen (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 10:04PM GMT
Surnames: McGee, Helm, Flowers, Tyler, Goodwin...
Hi Tom,
Wrote to you about this time last year to exchange info but perhaps my email was "lost in space".

You had mentioned that you had the names of all of Stafford's children. I think I have all of them now but don't know if I am missing any.

You also seemed certain that Stafford's name was Walter Stafford McGee. I wonder if you would share your source regarding his name with me. I have many papers from his will administration in 1859 thru final settlement in 1865. I have never seen a middle initial or name "Walter" and none of his children bore the name. I am fairly sure that the name "Walter" wouldn't have come from the McGee side, but perhaps the Martha Stafford side. Since I have not found her ancestors yet, I do not know. I would love to include Walter with Stafford in my gen records but I haven't a source.

If you could please help me on the above matter, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Marsha McGee Bowen

Allen Burr Harrison MCGEE

Posted: 16 May 2002 2:30AM GMT
Surnames: MCGEE, FREY, ALLEN, WHITE, GILL
The following was published in "The History of Jackson County Missouri" in 1881, page 811:

"A.B.H. MCGEE, was born May 21, 1815, two and a half miles from Beardstown, Nelson county, Kentucky, and soon after his birth, was taken by his father to Shelby county, seven miles from Shelbyville, where he was sent to school. When twelve years old his father removed from Shelby to Clay county, Missouri, near the town of Liberty, where, after living one year, he removed to Jackson county, Missouri, then known as the "Great Blue Country."

His educational advantages were limited, as he had to help his father, and he worked on the farm and engaged in different occupations during his life. When twenty-one years of age he engaged in the saw mill business, and afterward surveyed "Indian grants." He was taken prisoner by the Osages, but was released after necessary promises were obtained from the agent.

In 1838 he married Melinda FREY, of Shelby county, Kentucky, and by this union had seven children, of whom two are now living: M.E. (now Mrs. Judge ALLEN), and Anna P. (now Mrs. J.W. WHITE). Mrs. MCGEE died September 19, 1846.

The same year our subject engaged in government contracts for building the Sac and Fox Indian agency, and continued trading with the Indians until the spring of 1847, when he went into the mercantile business at Westport. In this year he married a sister of his first wife, who died March 19, 1867, leaving one child, who died when five years of age.

After three years trading with the Indians he sold his branch house at the Agency, and the next year his store in Westport. From 1848 to 1852 he furnished outfits for emigrants to California, and also equipped John C. Fremont in both of his trips across the continent. Mr. MCGEE was one of the fourteen who bought the original "Kansas City," and which was obtained for from $5,000 to $7,000.

January 11, 1869, he married Susan B. GILL, born in Bath county, Kentucky, March 8, 1849, and by this union they have two children: Nellie and A.B.H."

(I have no connection to these families.)

Annie P. MCGEE WHITE

Posted: 16 May 2002 3:12AM GMT
Surnames: MCGEE, WHITE
From "The History of Jackson County, Missouri" published 1881, page 1002:

J. W. White, farmer and stock raiser, section 31, post-office Westport, is a native of Missouri, and was born in Clay County, October 21, 1836, and when eight years of age he removed with his parents to Platte County, where he was reared and educated. He was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1860, and then went to Pike's Peak, and remained until October, of that year, working in the mines.

He then returned to Platte County, and in 1861 enlisted in the Confederate service, and received a wound in the hip which disabled him, and was mustered out of the service.

In 1866 he came to Jackson County, and owns a farm of 100 acres of land. He was married in Westport, Missouri, September 19, 1865, to Miss Annie P. MCGEE. By this union they have four children: James G., Addie B., William A., and Lizzie Ward."

(I have no connection to these families.)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions