Search for content in message boards

Robert or William Maynard

Robert or William Maynard

Kathy Messer (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2005 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Oct 2005 9:24PM GMT
Who do you all think is Christopher Columbus, James, Gibson and William's father? Do you think it could be Robert Maynard, the man said responsible for the death of Blackbeard the Pirate ? Or could it be William Maynard, who came over from Devonshire, England? Does any one have any advice or suggestions on how to start searching this side of the Maynard lineage? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!! Thankyou.

Re: Robert or William Maynard

charles Maynard (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2006 7:33PM GMT
When I consider the peices of info that I have read in past few years I have formed the openion that The father of Jame, Christopher Columbus, William and Gibson Maynard are the Sons of William Maynard who came to America on the Ship Brothers at age 16 and he was born 1720. in Devonshire England. My openion, His first marriage was to Agatha last name unk. This marriage probably produced William, James, Christopher Columbus, and Gibson. Some data indicate there could have been two other children Sara and Charity. He then married Aggie Damron and had 8 more children. I think this William Maynard was the son of Lt. Robert Maynard the slayer of blackbeard. And was given Land grants in NC. for his services to the Queen of England. I don't know if this is true but. It is my openion. I would suggest that anyone wanting more evidence do some research on what I have suggested. I would like to read your openion after your research. Charles

Kathy (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2006 3:50PM GMT
Thanks Charles.
Your opinion makes the most sense out of all the opinions I have heard. Thanks for sharing. Any other info you have and are willing to share I would be grateful.
Kathy

Charles Maynard (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2006 5:13PM GMT
Surnames: Maynard
What is your line of the Maynard family; To communicate about James Maynard family please e-mail me at cemaynard@frontiernet.net

JiggsMaynard (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2007 1:34AM GMT
I have some family tree that goes back to the Maynards in Nevis from 1700s. I f you send me some details i will check and see if there is a linkage.

Re: Maynards of Nevis

cvdone (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 2007 5:53PM GMT
Surnames: Maynard, Bell, Clarke, Browne, wade, Claxton, Tyrell
Hi

I have the surname Maynard in my family tree from Maynard. I have a Matilda Maynard i think from Boxhill, Gingerland in Nevis. She had an Aunt called Marvis Maynard who died in 1948. Her marrided name Clarke and has a daughter called Olive Browne(Nee:Clarke).
Is there any connection?

Caterina
cvd_one@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Maynards of Nevis

cvdone (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 2007 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: Maynard, Bell, Clarke, Browne, wade, Claxton, Tyrell
Hi

I have the surname Maynard in my family tree from Nevis. I have a Matilda Maynard i think from Boxhill, Gingerland in Nevis. She had an Aunt called Marvis Maynard who died in 1948. Her marrided name Clarke and has a daughter called Olive Browne(Nee:Clarke).
Is there any connection?

Caterina
cvd_one@yahoo.co.uk

pmanor181 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2008 11:32PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2009 3:25PM GMT
Surnames: manor, maynor, maynnard
hello jiggs, i am a manor with roots in ky, tn, & ?. read your info in ancestry, need help. i have my manor/maynor/maynard family brick walled @ wm. manor/maynor/maynard born england abt. 1790-1820 ? came to us, married emily? in tn, or ky, poss s.c or n.c, we don't have any other info except had son named george 1842, cumberland co, ky. he susposedly went back to england-left family here. i have info from 1842 up to date, george was my ggf. be glad to share my info if it fits your line & have your info. many thank you's steve

wardmaynard (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2009 6:21AM GMT
I am skeptical of William Maynard being born in Devonshire in 1720 if the source is familysearch.org (a posting by Mills). Do you have any other source for this information. I too am looking for the origins of the Maynards who showed up in NC in 1750-1770. Please contact me at wardmaynard@yahoo.com

You are NOT a descendant Robert Maynard, killer of Blackbeard in 1718

haroldwmaynard (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2012 6:10PM GMT
Captain Robert Maynard RN (c. 1684 – 1 January 1751) was a lieutenant and later captain in the Royal Navy, First Lieutenant of HMS Pearl, most famous for defeating the infamous English pirate Blackbeard in battle near Ocracoke Inlet, North Carolina. Very little is known about Maynard, except for when he killed Blackbeard. Robert Maynard's final resting place is in the churchyard of Great Mongeham in Kent, southeast England. He left an estate in excess of £2000.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maynard

Inscription on his monument in the churchyard at Great Mongeham:
To the Memory of Capt. Robert MAYNARD a faithfull & experience’d Commander of the Royal Navy; who, after he had distinguish’d himself by many brave and gallant Actions in the Service of his King and Country retired to this Place where he died 1 Jan. 1750-51 aged 67.
http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/MIsGreat...

His will is available on line for a fee at
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
Reference:PROB 11/786/337
Description: Will of Robert Maynard, Captain of Great Mongeham, Kent
Date: 28 March 1751
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record
Robert Maynard’s will was made on 12 October 1750 and proved on 28 March 1751 (PROB 11/786/337). It lists bequests to his wife, Mrs Ann Maynard; his sister Margaret Mitchell (formerly wife of John Peck of Boston, New England, deceased) and her children Thomas, John and Ann Peck; his sister-in-law Mrs Ann Maynard, widow of his brother Captain Thomas Maynard; his friend Mr Thomas Gee of Holborn, London, and his "daughter-in-law" (possibly stepdaughter) Elizabeth Judson of Great Mongeham, whom he appoints executrix.

There is nothing here to suggest he left sons named Maynard—not in England and certainly not in the American colonies.

wardmaynard@yahoo.com 17 Nov 2012
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions