Search for content in message boards

Sneeds of NC

Sneeds of NC

debprice1 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2000 9:50AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 4:33AM GMT
Looking for information on Isreal Sneed d. c1788. Father may have been Samuel Sneed married to Temperence Buford. Isreal may have been married to Johanna Hanley.

Israel Sneed

DaleStarks (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2000 3:03PM GMT
Edited: 29 Nov 2001 11:03PM GMT
Debbie, I have Israel Sneed born 1730 in Virginia and married to Joanna Hendley in 1751 Virginia. I also have the father of Israel as Samuel Sneed, born 1709/10 in Virginia (possibly Orange Co.). Samuel married Temperance Buford (or Burford), date and place unknown. Samuel died in Anson County, North Carolina in 1775. I have Samuels' parents as William Sneed, the younger, and Alice Buford (or Burford). Williams father was William Sneed, the elder. William, the elders parents were Samuel and Alice. I have Temperance Buford/Burford parents as William Burford and Annie. I have no other info about Joanna Hendley. I am searching for more info on these lines also. Let me know if you would like to exchange info. My email address is: azstarks@lycos.com.

Last Will Testament of Israel SNEAD

Juanita29Kesler (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2000 7:26PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 2:53AM GMT
Hi!
I have a copy of the Last Will Testament of ISRAEL SNEAD, proved in Richmond Co., NC court in 1788.
He mentions his sons Hanly (Henley?, Solomon, John, daughters: Kesiah WATKINS (w/o Wm.,) Ann DIGGS, (
w/o Marshall DIGGS)Frances HUSBANDS (w/o John HUSBANDS,) Martha COLE (w/o John COLE,)grandson William COLE. He also mentions his wife Johannah. (Some think she may have been a HENDLEY since they named a child by this name. I have a copy of THE SNEAD NOTEBOOK by Elizabeth Cowan Snead Shue. Will be happy to do "look ups" for you.
I have an Elizabeth (Betsy) SNEED in my line, but have not found who her parents were. She m. in Caswell Co., NC to Nathaniel CUNNINGHAM. I suspect her father's name to be Benjamin SNEED/SNEAD because she had a brother by this name, and also named a son Benjamin SNEED CUNNINGHAM. I just haven't found the proof I need. JBJK

Isreal Sneed

debprice1 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2000 11:07AM GMT
Thanks for the info on the ever elusive Isreal Sneed. How far back does the book go? Does it mention Ann Crossland Sneed, I think she was Israel and Johanna's daughter. She's where my line joins in. Isn't it fun, with all the family names passed down, figuring out who's who and where they belong? Thanks again, Deb

One more question

debprice1 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2000 11:13AM GMT
I forgot to ask, does the book have any information about Revolutionary War activity for Isreal or any Sneed? Thanks, Deb

Ann SNEAD CROSLAND

Posted: 26 Aug 2000 8:42PM GMT
Debbie,
According to Israel SNEAD'S will, his daughter Ann, m. William DIGGS. I have the book THE FAMILY OF EDWARD AND ANN SNEAD CROSLAND 1740-1957 by Lulu Crosland Ricaud. If you have CROSLAND"S in your line, this book should be in your library. It has lots of history of the CROSLANDS as well as photographs. There is a photo of "Walnut Hill" home of Edward Crosland built ca. 1778. in Bennettsville, SC. Where are you located? The book, I mentioned previously, SNEAD NOTEBOOK, does not go any further back than Israel. It speculates that Israel's father may be John, but can't be proven. It has information on early SNEYD.SNEED/SNEAD families of Virginia and England.

Samuel SNEAD was a Tory

Posted: 26 Aug 2000 9:19PM GMT
Samuel Snead fought at the battle of Moore's Creek Bridge. From SNEAD NOTEBOOK, (page 17) "On February 1776, a little more than four months before the Declaration of Independence, Samuel Snead was leading men of Colonel James Cotton's Corp at the Battle of Moore's Crk. Bridge, when they were overwhelmed by Patriots. The battle lasted only but a few minutes and the Loyalists lost heavily. About 50 men and offi8cers were killed and several hundred taken prisoners. Samuel was captured and sent to "Goal" at Halifax, Virginia" Eights monts afterwards Temperance, wife of Samuel appealed to the General Assembly for his release saying that he was an old man, sick in mind and body. She had been able to obtain a number of signatures of responsible citizens on a petition for his release. He was released, but died only a few months afterwards." Are you trying to get into the DAR? If you can prove your blood line to Israel, he gave food to the Army. DAR accepts this as a "service". You will need to write the archives for copy of this adfidavit. If you wish to get this, get back with me and I'll give you the information to send Raleigh, as to where this accounts are found. JBJK

Sneeds, Sneeds everywhere...

debprice1 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2000 10:20AM GMT
Thank you so much for the information! And yes, I had thought to get into the DAR, any advice/information would be greatly appreciated. Also, the Ann Sneed Crossland gave me a start, but only monentarily. Ann and Edward Crossland's daughter Ann Crossland married Lawrence Van Horne and THEY named their daughter Ann Crossland Horne who married William Lysander Jackson Reid. All these Ann Crosslands are confusing! Almost as bad as all the Isreals, Williams, and Samuels. How can I obtain a copy of the SNEED NOTEBOOK? Would it be in a library I might visit? You have been so generous, I can't thank you enough. I'm very new at this genealogy stuff, yet already I'm addicted. Thanks again, Debbie.

SNEAD NOTEBOOK by Eliz. S. Shue

Posted: 27 Aug 2000 1:29PM GMT
I have had my book for abt. 10 years. Try writing the author Elizabeth Snead Shue, PO Box 128, Walland, TN. 37886-0128. I'm sorry, I do not remember what I paid for it. Are we speaking of the same Edward and Ann Snead CROSLAND? I noticed that you spelled the name Crossland. The family of the Edward and Ann SNEAD CROSLAND in the book is as follows:l. Temperance CROSLAND b. 27 Dec. 1774, Marlboro Co. SC m. lst Arthur PEARCE and 2nd Rev. Wm. SEALE. 2. John CROSLAND b. 17 Jul. 1776 m. Mary Ann (Polly) SPARKS; 3. Mary CROSLAND b. 7 Feb. 1778 m. Geo. WEBSTER; 4. Sarah (Sally) CROSLAND b. 18 Jan. 1780 m. Bartholomew COSNAHAN; 5. Samuel CROSLAND, b. 27 Nov. 1781 m. lst. Eliz. HARRY and 2nd Nancy OWEN; 6.Israel CROSLAND b. 7 Sep. 1783. Never married;7. Elizabeth Hope CROSLAND b. 24 Mar. 1785, m. Richard GRANT; 8. Daniel Martin CROSLAND, b. 23 Dec. 1786, m. Sarah POUNCEY;9. David CROSLAND b. 31 Jan. 1788 m. Elizabeth Kolb DAVID;10. Rebecca CROSLAND, b.1790, m. Alexander MILLER,11. George CROSLAND, b. @8 Jul. 1792 m. Catherine (?). (This family spells their name CROSSLAND. 12. Phillip CROSLAND b. 25 Oct. 1795, m. Matilda McLAUCHLIN.13. Ann CROSLAND b. 5 Oct. 1797 m. Bartholomew COSNAHAN (m. after her sister Sarah died to her brother in law.) 14. William CROSLAND. b. 23 Apr. 1800. m.1st, Ann POUNCEY, 2nd to Ann THROOP.Ann SNEAD who m. Edward CROSLAND was the oldeste d/o Samuel and Temperance BURFORD SNEAD.
I am a member of Andrew Balfour Chapter of DAR. You will have to prove your blood lines to Israel SNEAD to get in the DAR. They are very strict.

sneed surname

henry moncure (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2000 5:45PM GMT
My mother's name was Warrie Fontaine Sneed Moncure and we lived in Stafford County Virginia. I have a 1st. cousin by the name of Benjamin William Sneed, who is writing a book on the Sneed genealogy. I will send you his address later if you are interested.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions